Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Shooting Guy Glamour/Fashion - Help!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

a designer has hired me to shoot for his new line of men's underwear in a few weeks. he really likes my glamour stuff and wants some of those elements worked in, but also wants it a bit gritty/edgy. so i guess we're talking gritty/edgy fashion with a glamour twist with dudes. it's a studio shoot. some of it in front of a seamless, some in front of a stone wall. two male models. this will be something new and different for me. tips? anyone? anyone? beuhler? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Shooting Guy Glamour/Fashion - Help!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325
Comments: 0

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Gee, all I can think of is tools and power. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

uumm, now if I could just get this 9volt to put out like a reactor, I could fly this trailer of mine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 01-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.52.35

You still have your cage don't you ???

Look at your GG portfolio and ask if any of them would work with male models ---

Looks like a bunch would [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

something about...Pinhead,fingerpaints and art classes....

right!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 01-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39912

SoFla_Photog is offline IP: 68.66.154.213

The notorious men's Calvin Klein shots come to mind; sublte b&w's with shadows but not much "feeling/texture" in the images.

Capitalize on the memory of that campaign but instead of subtle shadows and softness, accentuate the differences in textures between harsh backgrounds and soft skiv fabrics/pattern. Let the lighting set the tone, not the b/w method... make use of that Glamour edge to make the statement!

Just my thoughts.
-Brad-

EDIT: yeah, one other thing... don't have any of your usual models hangin' round or problems could come up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SoFla_Photog Visit SoFla_Photog's homepage! Find More Posts by SoFla_Photog

Old 01-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

thanks. i found THIS and some other sites. good a place as any to start looking for stuff to rip... i mean to inspire. hehehehh
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 01-20-2006, 09:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39912

SoFla_Photog is offline IP: 68.66.154.213

I think they call it "Personal Creative Initiative" in trademark court these days, but yeah, you got the drift... and after seeing the Marky Mark shots again after all these years, I thought about re-editiing that "no feeling" line [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SoFla_Photog Visit SoFla_Photog's homepage! Find More Posts by SoFla_Photog

Follow the \"C\"..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.155.57

Don't know if this was covered already,..I'm too tired to look..

The direction of the head tilt is much more important with men than it is with women..

Ok...say the subject is sitting, the shoulder that is dropped,..or lower than the other,...tilt their head in that same direction.. to form a "C" ..because if you have his head sticking out the other way,..he may want to kill you for making him look like a fruit! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Yep!

JP

Old 01-20-2006, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

I usually go for more texture when I shoot men. I shoot a faster film or use a smaller negative (35mm) for more grain. Grain/texture = gritty. Side lighting also brings out texture, both in skin and in fabric, so swing the strobes around to the side. Texture will probably work well with the stone wall. With digital, try something around ASA 800 and see if you like the look. I know there's a plethora of effects you can apply in Photoshop, but I'm a "get it right in the camera" kind of guy. If I get it right in camera, I don't have to post-process a hundred or more images.

As far as posing goes, think aggressive. No "S" curves. Have your subject coming towards you or have them lean into the shot. That's the essence of the "C" shape that JP mentioned. For a more formal shot I like to keep a guy's weight on his back foot and bring his other leg forward towards me. With the weight on the back foot his first move has to be forward.

Don't shoot down on men. Shoot at eye level or below so that the viewer is looking at or slightly up at them. It's a more dominant perspective. You can also shoot men with their shoulders more square to the camera than with women. Another tip - don't let the chin get too high. If you thought nostrils were bad on women, you should see a male nostril shot.

"C" shape

Leaning in

Texture (on him, anyway)

Hope this was at least a little useful.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 24.17.103.235

Not sure why I'm jumping in here, but it does seem like a good mental exercise.

OK, gritty/edgy male fashion with a glamour twist. I looked, again, at your portfolio and the Klein picks. Then thought about JP's comment on head tilt. I guess the guys in the referenced ads must be fruits. I digress.

The one thing about the underwear ads, as opposed to glamour, is they tend to be static. In your port the models have action, attitude, and lighting draws attention to the important element. Now I am thinking, always dangerous, that let's take these hunks they send over and start doing some of the same things. Put motion in there, have them show some attitude, and use the lighting to create that edgy feel.

Now, take it up a notch. I hate static paper backgrounds. Put these guys into "real" environments where you would find guys. Maybe even borrow the idea of a woman casting a casual glance. Something like Art Frahm might have placed in one of his pinup pics with guy looking at the women. Even if you have to go seamless, at least toss in some props to go with the motion, attitude and lighting.

Crank it up. You want people to stop and look at the ad. Real situations with a veneer stripped away to show the product. And not at some jerk holding his privates or just flexing muscles.

According the research that I have heard sighted, the majority of mens underwear is purchased by women. So, maybe I have gone off on some bizzare direction here. But you did ask.

In that case, just ask all the models you work with what would catch their attention.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton