Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Model Contest, Server Updates, etc.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.80.239

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First and foremost, let's get somethings real straight. As I had stated in this post, we had found glitches in the system for the model contest and I, I alone, made the decision to pull the contest until some scripting for the code be corrected.

I am not a PHP, JavaScript, Java, Unix, etc., programmer, though we at GG are looking for someone to fill that void for special things we need done.

Several things happened since then, one we don't have the same programmer for GG anymore, two, we made the vote counting system not count "FREE" registrations because we found many, many questionable "FREE" regristrations that were made from accounts that had red flags.

Because this is a PHP script, that has algorithims that does the calculations, when we removed the ability of FREE accounts to count as votes, it recalculated all contests--making different winners occur. As I had previously stated, we would "honor" previous winners.

Now I've been accused today that I changed the contest because I don't think a certain model has talent, not sure where that came from as I've never made this statement and the model in question I've met and have no heartburn with. I cannot more than stress that I do not rig nor allow rigging of contests on this forum--that is why, when we saw red flags with Free accounts I pulled the plug on the contest--I will not allow, or will do my best, to keep full integrity of the contest.

In the future, before anyone ever accuses anyone on this site about rigging a contest, as long as I am the owner and the President of the corporation that owns this site, we will not allow fixing, rigging or cheating for that matter by anyone here or on the forum and we will take all necessary actions.

As it stands, my original post stated that the contest and this site in itself, is being worked on, upgraded and many, many new things to come and we would see glitches on this system.

Too many people have jumped to conclusions just like when the contest winner for December was posted by a few here, 23 hours & 56 minutes before the contest was to end--that's when I personally pulled the contest after checking our files. I did not jump the gun and accuse anyone of cheating, nor do I plan to, I merely pulled the contest--beleive it or not, the December winner with the "Free" votes pulled still won for December.

Please do not jump the gun of rigging something, especially when my intentions are to keep the contest's integrity. And for those that exploited the original contest system weakness, well let's just say, you know who you are and don't do it again.

Thanks, Rolando (aka rg sends!)
Admin/Owner
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Model Contest, Server Updates, etc.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
beleive it or not,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll choose not.

well that\'s sad...
Old 01-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Don,

That's sad. As I said before, we are honoring the previous winners (without question), and yes, I've been traveling, dealing with corporate issues, etc., a lot of things including getting the contest PHP code corrected.

I'm no programmer, and if you were, you'd know that in the code it dictates how votes are counted and how they are displayed to the user. If you had gone down the list further, you would have seen that every month, not just Nov., had a different winner, the one exception was December, the algorithms held true to that winner.

Because the contest winners of previous contests were done by different rules and we allowed Free registrations to vote then, we will NOT penalize previous winners and we will stick to them, as I stated before. From Jan. 2006 on, Free winners can vote, but their vote will not tabulate.

I personally can't believe that you would question my integrity with the contest, furthermore make such a blatant statement about my thoughts on a model's talent--which are false. If you don't hear it from me personally, then it's a rumor.

Here's where some of the code was altered--ONLY THE CODE can change the winners they way the contest page is generated--not one single person on GG's admin or owner can change this statically for display:
while ( list($SubmissionId, $MemberType, $VoteSum, $UserId, $Filename, $ThumbnailHeight, $ThumbnailWidth, $ModelMemberType) = $dbh->fetch_array($sth) ) {
if ( $MemberType == 'L' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 10;
}
else if ( $MemberType == 'D' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 5;
}
else if ( $MemberType == 'P' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 1;
}

Wishing you the best, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 01-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 70.119.153.110

Gotta agree with the decision to pull the contest. I would have done the same. It's too bad DeAnn's / Don's talents fell victim to a bad decision on voting. It would have been nice to see her (DeAnn) win fair and square.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad

Re: well that\'s sad...
Old 01-15-2006, 08:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674
Comments: 0

gregkdavis is offline IP: 70.114.246.117

This looks like PHP programming.

Hope to get familiar with that later this year.
Right now I'm teaching myself action script 2.0
(Which is Java and javascript) wrapped in a Flash application.

Actually I do understand this part of the code, looks simple enough,
but what part of the "if" or "while" statements skewed the votes?

Actually this is "geek" speak for most people........
It really doesn't matter if that is the case.

As I mentioned before,,,, it doesn't help to compromise ones-self
to get votes---- even IF the whole thing were dishonest why play against a stacked deck. It can only end negatively for everyone.

Greg.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 01-15-2006, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Hi. First, no one is saying she didn't win, especially fair and square, what we're saying, when we changed the voting amounts for each membership level and deleted the ability of the Free members to carry votes, the scripts affected all contest results. DeAnn won fair and square just like the other models when in their perspective month.

The new system merely changed how votes are counted, with the system being automated, it appeared to change results dynamically, as the contest pages are not generated statically, it's off forumlas and PHP coding on a Unix server, not manual hands dictating who winners are.

All previous contest winners stand under the older version of the contest.

Thanks, rg.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

No one is claiming dishonesty, what we're saying is that when we "removed" the script lines in the PHP coding and change the weights of each membership, as now Lifetime members votes count as a 10X factor not 3X as before, it inadvertently changed all previous contest results, we are fixing that. The original results stand, in fact, the only contest that wasn't affected was the one Korie and Erin won, that doesn't mean the other constestants did anything wrong, nor are we saying that--we stand by the original results.

Obviously when things go wrong on this site, people point their fingers at me and make untrue statements about my behaviour, I've learned to understand that over the years. Since I founded this site, am the owner, etc., I will always be the A-hole people will blame--those that truly know me, know I'm fair and I'm not like that, but I will do what I have too to defend and protect this community.

Thanks, rg.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49240

stevewilliams is offline IP: 70.110.208.206

Well, looks like L is Lifetime, P is premium, what's D? Don't see a B for Basic, which is what I think he's saying has changed right? And what is VoteSum?

if ( $MemberType == 'L' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 10;
}
else if ( $MemberType == 'D' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 5;
}
else if ( $MemberType == 'P' ) {
$Standings[$SubmissionId] = $Standings[$SubmissionId] + ($VoteSum) * 1;
}

Been a programmer for 20+ years, one thing you realize when trying to understand/modify someone else's code (or even your own after you been away from it for a while) is that documentation really helps. Actually it's essential.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevewilliams Find More Posts by stevewilliams

Old 01-15-2006, 08:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 70.114.246.117

[ QUOTE ]

I will always be the A-hole people will blame

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolando, it's so easy to do that, look at your avatar! I think you
need to smile more.

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously when things go wrong on this site, people point their fingers at me and make untrue statements about my behaviour -

[/ QUOTE ]

You and I both know rumours are more fun,,, I've been guilty of indulging them
from time to time ( Wait! I'm not supposed to admit that).

[ QUOTE ]

those that truly know me, know I'm fair and I'm not like that, but I will do what I have too to defend and protect this community.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well "they" (those who know you) say you really like to talk. I didn't get that
impression when we spoke on the phone once. I guess we'll have to meet up when
I'm in San Antonio ( I go there often, John Jay & UTSA grad) and you are in town. It'll be nice to hang with the "homies."

[ QUOTE ]

I will do what I have too to defend and protect this community.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't - no one else will.

When I finish my redesign, I'll see if I can lend a help at your end.

Greg.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42462
Comments: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to Hailey

Hailey is offline IP: 24.74.98.146

l is lifetime, d is diamond(coming soon) and p is the free act.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hailey Visit Hailey's homepage! Find More Posts by Hailey