Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A quick question for those who\'ve shot in hotels...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 66.21.214.99

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

...do you ask ahead of time if they mind you doing a shoot there, or do you just do it? If it makes any difference, I tend to be a bit equipment-heavy when I travel.

Thanks!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: A quick question for those who\'ve shot in hotels...
Old 01-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i've shot in hotels a few times, and I never asked for permission. I figure that once I rent the room it's mine for any legal activity I choose.

As far as equipment goes, use one of the luggage porters, they make carrying things easy.

When you gonna post some from your last shoot?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 01-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 66.21.214.99

Sounds good to me, dude. They better not have a problem with it, 'cause the hotel (well, bed & breakfast, technically) is about six hours away. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

My last shoot? I'm gonna post some of those as soon as I can get them edited, which at this rate won't be 'til the end of this week/early next week. I did have my lab scan the negs in for me and put 'em on CD, but the scans look pretty bad, so I'm gonna hafta scan the ones I want myself, which is also holding me back.

Hopefully it'll be worth the wait. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks dude!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 01-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

If you're in the room , no worries.

Most hotels don't have a problem shooting in the hallway either, as long as you're not disruptive. I've shot in ballrooms, hallways, ice machine alcoves, the elevators and elevator foyers, the pool, even the maids maintenance closet (!) - all with no problems. The service staff has never even given a second glance, and only once did I get a raised eyebrow from a "suit," but he didn't say anything since the two models were the male and female heavyweight winners at a bodybuilding competition the day before. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If I do go out on campus to shoot, I tend to ask - so far, every hotel that I've done that has had no problem, they usually ask (and I've learned to issue a statement in a prepareatory strike when I ask) that I not shoot, or if I do shoot, to remove, identifiable logos and markings. Obviously common sense prevails; as long as you're not terribly disruptive, you'll likely be able to come back and shoot again.

Both of these were actually shot in meeting rooms, one while staff was setting it up, one while the lessee was actually moving in (and nobody cared)!

View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

On the other hand, it's often easier to get forgiveness than permission. LOL!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott

Old 01-11-2006, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49240
Comments: 0

stevewilliams is offline IP: 70.110.210.20

My concern with this has always been the question of a property release if the pictures were used commercially, anyone recognized the property, cared enough to pursue it, etc. Doesn't seem like there's too much to worry about though. And it has to do with use of the photos, not the actual shooting.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevewilliams Find More Posts by stevewilliams

Old 01-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48197
Comments: 4
My Mood:

BillD is offline IP: 64.136.27.229

In the past I have taken pictures in one of the hotels here in GR without asking and have never been bothered, I even set up lights.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BillD Find More Posts by BillD

Old 01-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

You ask kindly if it's outside your room. Some properties have a strict rule against it either way. Why be nervous during the shoot wondering if security is going to crack down on you. It's their property, not yours. Now if it's inside your room I wouldn't worry about it so much.

Outside your room they may have limitations on what you can do. Giving you permission to shoot but not with signs and theme orientated property for example.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 01-11-2006, 10:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.78.77

Best bet is to call ahead of time to "test the waters". I found a couple "trendy" places have very specific rules about "commercial" photography on premises. One example is "The Standard" hotel chain. While at the Standard for a weekend, we shot a few shots around the rooftop bar, and even though they had "rules" they didn't bother us. Perhaps because it wasn't a big production event.

Scott [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SnJPhotography Find More Posts by SnJPhotography

yu figurred way wrong
Old 01-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

about as legally wrong as you can. They rented you a room for sleeping. Not photography. They may, and often will, kick you out if they find out what you are doing. The rooms need a commercial property release if there is anything recognizable in the images that would identify the location. They probably won't give it to you if it is glamour work. If it was commercial work, they will consider selling it to you, but they'll charge you way more. They are not dumb and know innkeepers laws better than you.

99 out of 100 times, you go in hotel room, nobody notices, you shoot and go.

1 time you get caught, its a pain legally and for other reasons.

But DON'T think that just cause you rent the room you can do anything you want. The room is for sleeping and other associated things. You can screw the model in the room, but you can't shoot commercial pics of her in there. Its especially important as you move up to higher quality properties where the furnishings and surroundings are identifiable. In a small BandB, someone might recognize that as Room 1201 at the BLahBlaH Hotel. You are screwed and they will come after you if they see images in the room that they don't think portray their hotel the way they want it shown. You will pay big time.

Be very careful, especially if you plan on using any common areas of the hotel.

If you just use your room, have your stuff packed up and it doesnt look like a major production and don't tell the bellman, and don't order room service with the lights all set up, you probably will get away with it.

But you are not legally entitled to shoot in the room.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin