Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Cut the crap! :-)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735
Comments: 0

RickHughes is offline IP: 69.94.193.116

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am asked all of the time by photographers and models in this industry "How can I get more work?" That is a GREAT question, and simply asking that question is the foundation for success. The problem I think comes from the fact that people rarely finish the process.

For models and photographers the advice is the same. Take control of your own career and accept responsibility for the success or failure you find. Many times models rely on people to do things for them. Maybe they expect a photographer/manager/agent/boyfriend/hero (gagging again) to take care of things for them. How many times have I heard "I have an agent, but they don't do anything for me"? This KILLS me. The question I want to ask is "What are you doing for your agent?" How are you helping your agent get you work? Do you have comp cards? Do you contact your agent regularly to say things like "Is there anything I can do to help you while you represent me?" Most of the time models tend to say "That is my agent's job." The reality is that it is the model's job to do what he/she can to make their own career work. If you sit around and show no motivation you will get nowhere.

This applies to photographers as well. What are you doing to further your career? Are you seeking a rep? Don't know how to get one? Are you looking for the answers to that? What are you really doing to succeed? The ultimate truth in all of this is that it is up to you. Let's say you finally have a rep. Are you sitting around waiting to see what they can do for you? Help them do things for you. Find out what you can do to help them.

I am amazed at how people find excuses so comforting when it comes to career success in this industry. Using excuses means that you did not succeed. Excuses or "reasons" as we like to comforably call them are irrelevant. The end result is what matters in the professional world. Of course sometimes there are valid reasons. Some things are truly out of your control. Those things are rare. Usually they are a result of your mistakes leading you to that point.

To both models and photographers. Stop making excuses and truly work on your confidence issues. Stop being afraid of failure! Start using it as a catalyst or stepping stone for future success. Models...stop being afraid of getting some bad shots. Push yourself! Take chances with your posing. Be aggressive. Move on your own and take ques from photographers as far as slowing down or speeding up or whatever. Stop making excuses about lack of experience or whatever. When you are at home in front of your mirror you play around posing while you watch yourself. You need to bring THAT to shoots. It's like dancing. You have to "let go" when you shoot. Yes, you ARE going to get some bad shots. Some ridiculous looking ones. Whoopee f'in do! LOL. You will also get some AMAZING shots. Which do you think will be rememebered? The bad ones or the one amazing one? As you look at your images you will learn how to cut loose and do it in the right ways and each shoot will be a step forward.

Photographers and models, if you are trying to make this into more of a career, take charge of your career. Stop telling me why you don't succeed and start doing whatever it takes to succeed. Photographers, stop the thinking that shooting more pretty girls is the answer. Start focusing of the PROFESSIONAL side of PROFESSIONAL photography. Do the BUSINESS of this business not just the photography.

Models, stop looking for excuses and blaming everyone else. If you are not maximizing your ability to succeed in this business then it is not your agents fault. You chose the agent. If you are dating someone that is not secure enough to support you in this career...well...YOU chose your boyfriend. Fix the problems, don't place blame. Photographers with wives that don't support them. You chose your wife.

Ok, maybe you are 5'2 and can't be a runway model, but you have a great body. Are you willing to do what it takes to work with the photographers that can help you? Work extra hours. Save the money and not party. Don't buy those new jeans. Will you do whatever it takes to get you in those swimsuit calendars, magazines, whatever? Or are you going to wait on someone to do it for you?

Don't take "no" for an answer. Knock on nine doors in a row and get a "No". Knock on number ten with the same belief you did when you knocked on number one. What can you do to get a "Yes"? Seek out the answers from those who ARE succeeding. Not the nice guy down the street, your boyfriend, your wife, your cousin who used to live next door to so-and-so's uncle who was a successful whatever. Take criticism and apply it towards a better tomorrow. Take charge and make it happen.

"How can I get more work?" Do you really want the answers or an easy quick fix?

The bottom line: What can you do to make this work? No excuses....errr.....reasons.
  View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Re: Cut the crap! :-)
Old 01-07-2006, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.168.207

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well said... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 01-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44937
Send a message via MSN to Joseph1

Joseph1 is offline IP: 65.173.60.25

Thank you very much Rick!! it`s very useful.

Joseph Art
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46279
Send a message via Yahoo to jessica

jessica is offline IP: 68.53.125.239

I do not think that you left anything out, so I must say that I think it was well said.
Maybe it will inspire those to become motivated in the new year.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jessica Visit jessica's homepage! Find More Posts by jessica

AMEN!
Old 01-07-2006, 01:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 64.83.160.4

As a beginner in this field, but having had reaonable success in the investment field, the same thing is true in all industries. It isn't necessarily the smartest, or prettiest, or richest person that succeeds. It's the one that takes inventory of what they have to work with, figures out where they want to end up, and then sets a plan as to how they are going to get there.

Oh yeah, and they work their ass to the bone too!

Some people start from a more advantageous position, but in the end we are each responsible for our own success or failure. The quicker one embraces the idea of working harder and smarter, the sooner success will come.

Dream big dreams, then put on your overalls.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Carpe Imago Find More Posts by Carpe Imago

Old 01-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 65.138.33.231

I had a similar experience with one model in particular. She claimed that she had the ambition to do what was necessary to be a model, but when I offered her things that would have at least gotten her better exposure, she turned those things down. Her excuse was that the boyfriend wouldn't approve unless he were to go along on the shoot, but since his work schedule wasn't convenient it wasn't going to happen. She also tried the modeling agency route and that wasn't getting her work either. That agency went as far as to tell her that she shouldn't work with any photographer from the same state that she lived in. Don't know their reason for that one. Looked to me like someone was full of something. But I do agree that not everything is in the control of the model or photographer 100% of the time. Only what each one of them does for themselves is in their own control.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 01-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Comments: 2
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 12.221.236.136

"Planning is the heart of ones business and one can plan to succeed rather than to fail to plan. It is also true that the person who plans their work can predict their future. We want to make things happen rather than wonder what happened. Remember, if you fail to plan, you have planned to fail."

-The above was written by Don Peterson in his book "The master book of portraiture and studio managemnet" 1985

You can still get this book from amazon in a paperback edition for $3 !!! I would suggest it! Remember if you don't read and learn you are not making things happen. You are simply floating!

link to amazon for don peterson's book
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 01-07-2006, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.10.159

Great post Rick!
Having a full time job has put my photography to a part time venture but getting paying jobs and putting myself out there has been the difference. With my employers future not looking too bright I have had to make a few decisions on what is best for my family and I. It has made me put a plan of action together and I am now on my way. Shooting pretty girls is what I would really like to do, but they only pay so many people to do that. My pretty girls now are usually brides and that also pays the bills.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 01-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

Well said Rick. I agree with you 100%.

Terry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 01-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
DaveScott

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.248.0.15

Nice!

And what you said applies to anyone in any business as well as life itself.

-- Dave