Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
pay and images
Old 01-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44936
Comments: 0

rephoto1 is offline IP: 24.243.30.157

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay I have a question. I just recieved a phone call from a girl I hired a couple months ago for one of my art projects. She said that she was pissed off because it has been over 2 months since the shoot and she has yet to recieve her prints. She stated that I am not a pro because all the photographers she has worked with have given her a Hi Res cd with all images. I am not worried so much about her because I told her to read the model release that clearly states what her compensation would be. My question is, is this a common practice with most photographers out there, to pay a model for her time and then give away your product. How are photographers making money if this is a common practice
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rephoto1 Visit rephoto1's homepage! Find More Posts by rephoto1

Re: pay and images
Old 01-06-2006, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.82

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have limited experience with this, but in the couple of girls I have shot, everything was stated before hand. If it was TFP/CD then I had their CD or prints to them within 3 weeks. But, to be fair I'm not tht busy yet.
If they pay me for the shoot, we agree upon fee and the print size before hand.
So far I haven't had a problem, I guess because the girls are inexperienced and things have been up front.

View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 01-06-2006, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

what prints is she expecting?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Models often expect to get some photos from a paid shoot. I think many models consider a paid assignment as a combination of some shots from the shoot and the dollars they are paid. Most of the photographers I know do give some shots to the model even if its a paid shoot. Naturally, if its a TFP/TFCD then the model would expect a copy of all the good shots.

The biggest advantage to giving the paid model prints is that you'll benefit from it also if they are used in the model's portfolio. I always put my copyright notice on the photos and do insist that the model maintain that notice for all usage. You can also include a clause in the release that specifies the extent of use for any photos you provide the model. That then can become a negotiation point.

But everything ultimately comes down to the release. I always go over the release with the model in advance to be sure they know what to expect. The majority of the time they do ask about getting some shots from the shoot. I usually use that as a negotiation point (as mentioned already). The more shots they want, the less their fee, etc.

So it's sort of up to you to be sure that everything is settled beforehand. If you don't want to give a model any shot, then let the model know before hand that you don't provide any shots, unless they pay for them.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

generally this is my guide line:

Paid shoot: The model receives cahs and 5-10 high res images on CD I havne't paid a model for her time in more than 6 months, but I think it's fair for her to expect something from a paid shoot aside from money.

TFP/TFCD: The model receives 2 High Res CDs with any shot that I think is good enough to put my name on, I will also include black and white, And sepia variations and several photoshop experiments, and 2 or 3 shots dones with photomerge. One CD is large sized images at about 15x20, and the other is a duplicate CD with images at about 5x7 for the Web/internet sites.

If your release form spells out what she can expect to receive and when, she shouldnt have any complaints.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 01-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.201.79

I handle all that up front,

make sure they understand what you are offerring,

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 01-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44936

rephoto1 is offline IP: 24.243.30.157

she wants a copy of everything we shot, good or bad, before she called me I was going to give a copy of the final print for promotions even though that was not part of the agreement. But after the call she kind of ticked me off!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rephoto1 Visit rephoto1's homepage! Find More Posts by rephoto1

Old 01-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

if you didnt promise her anything in advance, AND ypu paid her..you really dont owe her a thing. Did she sign a model release?

Did the release spell out the payment?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 01-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.154.175.214

She signed the release ?
AND she got paid...

You owe her nothing , especially every image you took .
Tell her what your rates are and she can buy them !!!!

Plain and simple

( ALL photogs she worked with gave her a CD ??? ) Don't believe that one for a second.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

images you don\'t like...
Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Information Sponge

Member GG#: 49267

Carpe Imago is offline IP: 64.83.160.4

The fact that the model expects ALL of the images is, in my opinion, the greatest indication of how far off her expectations are. I agree completely with the idea of sharing a handful of quality images, even if not specified in the contract, as it banks good will for the future and is potentially good publicity for you.

That said, every shoot is going to produce some photos (and perhaps a great number) that just don't meet with your standards...it is part of the process. The fact that she feels that you "owe her" images that you don't feel are up to your standards is a pretty clear indication that she doesn't understand how things work. Something tells me that she might be short lived in the business if she gets in the habits of making these demands on everyone.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Carpe Imago Find More Posts by Carpe Imago