Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
this is a BUSINESS ? (help)
Old 01-04-2006, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 71.142.254.84

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

wow, there are laws and stuff, and like um.. rules, and forms, and numbers and stuff... AND I AM COMPLETELY FOREIGN TO EVERYTHING BUSINESS RELATED.

what is the best bang for my buck for photography business BOOK. not how to make money, but how to be organized and efficiant and LEGAL. basically going from knowing nothing on that end of things, to learning the basics for startup and running freelance style. would love if it included sample forms.

any advice would be great, i prefer amazon.com!

SUMMARY: any reccomendations for an all-in-one photography business book?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: this is a BUSINESS ? (help)
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38692

gwphoto is offline IP: 216.87.68.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The first thing I would do is join a Professional Organization like PPA or one of the other ones. Go to some meetings and ask a lot of questions. They also will have a complete everything you need, like forms and contracts. I think one of the biggest decisions you have to make is what type of photography do you want to do to earn money. Do your research, talk to other pros and learn what they do on a day to day basis. I have been doing photography for brochures and catalogs, and post cards for over 20 years and I sepnd more time on the phone looking for clients that I do behind the camera. That is the bisusness side of photography. Good Luck.
Greg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gwphoto Visit gwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by gwphoto

Old 01-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.252.153.241

I don't know the name of the book off hand, but there are books about the mumble jumble stuff related to photography law, and the business end of stuff..

I wouldn't suggest buying books, because they may be giving you ideas that may not pertain to the laws in your state.. Instead, I'd set up an appointment with a CPA, and an IP attorney, and tell them what you want to do, and ask them how to go about it. Have your modeling release written by the attorney,...not by some guy's book. Have your billing, and tax stuff done by an accountant...not by some guy's suggestions who may not be up to date on current tax law, or deductions..

These fees to see them, and to get their professional advice can be written off because they are a part of your business.

Good luck! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Dan Heller
Old 01-04-2006, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

Have you seen Dan Heller's site? Looks as good as any book I've seen.

http://www.danheller.com/bizfaq.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Old 01-04-2006, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

Photography, Focus on Profit by Zimberoff.

Good book about computing your costs, overhead, planning shoots, insurance, generally accepted practices, copyright, blablabla. Includes a CD with Photobyte software which is his formerly commercial package which he moved to shareware.
Puts you on the right track.

I also like Successful Self-Promotion for Photographers. Not really a business book as such but an excellent piece on THE most important aspect of professional photography.

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Welcome to our world.....
Old 01-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.52

Now that you've figure out there's a lot more to know to making a living at this than just being a good photographer, you are wise to be asking questions to find out what you don't know! One thing to remember is that the learning process is never over, and you should be reading everything you can find, including magazines like
Photo District News, as well as attending workshops & seminars, and visiting pro-oriented websites as much as possible. You'll pick up little bits here and there, although some of it won't mean much to you the first couple of times you hear it. Don't plan on finding all the answers in one place, it just won't happen.

The first question you need to ask yourself is, which if the two main paths of photography do you want to take (although there can be some crossover, generally most photographers stick with one or the other): Are you interested in shooting portraits, weddings, seniors, passports, little league and events? If so, then you want to be a portrait and wedding photographer, and you should consider joining PPA which will have all sorts of information, meetings, seminars and an annual convention to attend and learn from.

On the other hand, if you want to be hired by third parties to provide images for publication or advertising, then you might consider yourself a commercial photographer, although that's a big umbrella under which you'd find journalism, editorial, catalog, advertising, etc, with sub-specialties like fashion, food, product, automotive, beauty, and many others. The common bond here is that unlike the P&W photographers who are hired, more or less, by the people they are photographing for those people's own use, a commerical photographer is hired by a third party who is going to use the images for one of the above purposes.

Why is this important to figure out? Well, it determines many aspects of how you progress. While P&W photographers usually need a studio in a retail location, commercial photographers, if they even have a studio, usually need a larger space and aren't too particular about whether it has walk-in traffic (I actually prefer that it doesn't). Where you advertise yourself also depend on who you're appealing to: P&W guys can use the Yellow Pages and newspaper ads (and the sign on their shop) while commercial shooters go to source books, mailing lists, webpromotions, (and reps if they're lucky), etc. (In the film world, P&W shooters would normally have used neg film, while commercial photographers almost always shot transparency or b/w. Obviously with digital, that's no longer an issue). Another big difference is how you get paid. P&W guys normally charge a nominal fee for the shoot (or a "sitting fee"), and make their big money and profit on the print markup and albums. Commercial shooters charge a high creative and usage fee for the shot, and markup their expenses minimally.

Now it IS possible to accomplish both, and I suppose in a smaller market it might even be a necessity (especially if you want to shoot commercially, you might need the P&W work to pay the bills), but I think in your mind, you probably want to choose one or the other. If you are interested in commerical photography, there are many books and resources available to you, some of which I've posted here before, but will do so again for you. First, is an organization called American Society of Media Photographers which has many chapters around the country, I took the liberty of linking you to the one nearest you in Sacramento. Another national organization with emphasis on advertising is APA, which along with ASMP, sponsors all sorts of meetings and workshops in the local chapters that deal with everything from those pesky business questions (like taxes and insurance), to marketing, estimating and pricing, and self-motivation. Visit that ASMP link and try to attend the next program they offer (usually a hirer charge for non-members). Another group is called Editorial Photographers, which exisits only in cyberspace and has no meetings, but like the other two groups, has a website that is jam-packed with useful information (most of it free, but some requires membership) covering all aspects of the business. I've listed links to all these groups below, as well as some other resourece sites you should check out. You might also try to find some local commercial photographers who would hire you as an assistant. What you will learn about dealing with clients, models, crew, protocols and how to run a real shoot will be invaluable. Here's the links:

http://www.apanational.org/ (for advertisitng photogs, has two active Yahoogroup forums dealing with businss and digital issues, membership not required to participate in the forums but you will need references)

http://www.editorialphoto.com/ ($50/yr membership required to participate in their forum, lots of free info on the website, the premier group for magazine and newspaper photographers, may also need a reference)

http://www.asmp.org/ (long-time magazine and media photographer group, similar to APA but less emphasis on advertising work)

Also, these can be helpful as well:
http://www.fotoquote.com/
http://www.loundy.org/commoncents/
http://www.pdn-pix.com/
http://www.stockartistsalliance.org/
http://www.pickphoto.com/
http://www.shootsmarter.com/
http://www.photonews.com
http://www.copyright.gov/register/visual.html (find the short form VAS)

BTW, I see where someone recommended Tom Zimberoff's book, and although I've not read it, I'm sure it'll be helpful because he's been around a long time, (but I don't think much of his software). Hope this helps!

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Welcome to our world.....
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Commercial Photographer

Member GG#: 42709

StephenCMW is offline IP: 216.204.246.146

Damn you Andy!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I saw the last post, typed up a lot of what you just said, and since it took me a while decided to see if anyone else posted. And bam, there you are! Oh well... so I shortened mine below..

Ditto!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StephenCMW Visit StephenCMW's homepage! Find More Posts by StephenCMW