Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hello everyone...
Old 01-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49240
Comments: 0

stevewilliams is offline IP: 69.141.18.179

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm not exactly new to this forum, see only a few from the early days, e.g. Doug Lester, but have been away for a few years and just wanted to introduce myself.

Don't have much online at the moment but it is coming. For now I will post this picture of my niece and nephew, just a candid, but something to get started with.

A little about my style: I like to keep things simple, shoot a Nikon F3, 28mm lens, this shot was on TMAX 3200. Not that I haven't been into digital (since about 1995 or so), but I've been shooting with the F3 for about 10 years, like film still, have one of the original Nikon Coolscan film scanners. All this works just fine for me. In Photoshop I resize, adjust curves and sharpen, that's just about it.

Hope to have more to show soon. I'm pretty much starting from scratch, at least until I get back to CA where I've got all my negs stored.

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevewilliams Find More Posts by stevewilliams

Re: Hello everyone...
Old 01-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
CarlinDahle

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 71.69.130.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Welcome Back.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.56

I'm fairly new into this zoo, but welcome back I guess is in order.

I just got into the digital realm, but here's one out of my FM2
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 01-02-2006, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.172.78

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not exactly new to this forum, see only a few from the early days, e.g. Doug Lester, but have been away for a few years and just wanted to introduce myself.

Don't have much online at the moment but it is coming. For now I will post this picture of my niece and nephew, just a candid, but something to get started with.

A little about my style: I like to keep things simple, shoot a Nikon F3, 28mm lens, this shot was on TMAX 3200. Not that I haven't been into digital (since about 1995 or so), but I've been shooting with the F3 for about 10 years, like film still, have one of the original Nikon Coolscan film scanners. All this works just fine for me. In Photoshop I resize, adjust curves and sharpen, that's just about it.

Hope to have more to show soon. I'm pretty much starting from scratch, at least until I get back to CA where I've got all my negs stored.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Hello Steve... Welcome! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anais Ortega

JP

Old 01-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.253.58.126

Welcome. Nice "snapshot."

An F3, eh? Serious piece of iron there. But I understand your attachment. But don't you find the film costs and time factor frustrating? And DUST! ARGH.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

Welcome Steve,

Terry

Dee Sim

[ QUOTE ]
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!

[/ QUOTE ]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.87.27

Welcome back, Steve. Look forward to seeing your work!

kelly
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Old 01-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49240

stevewilliams is offline IP: 69.141.18.179

Hello John,

And thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I've got to admit that the last digital camera I had was a while back, a Canon Powershot G2, which I liked, but the shutter lag was bothersome for portraiture. I'm sure there is more suitable equipment out there now, but I just haven't kept up with it.

Slowing down is one of the things I appreciate at this point in my life. This after 25 years as a software engineer, a good part of that time developing equipment for the Internet during the early to mid '90s. Quite a hectic pace, kinda burned out on technology. Now I do masonry for a living, hard work, but a better lifestyle overall.

I like the simplicity of the F3, like framing through the high eyepoint viewfinder (very nice for those of us who still wear glasses), like not having a zillion buttons, icons, options to choose from. After all this time I can pretty well guess at shutter and aperture settings, before even reading the meter, and manual focusing gives me the precision I need (always focus on the eyes, one of my instructors told me way back).

As far as film goes, mainly I feel better about having negatives for the original, and it gives me the option to use the darkroom somewhere down the line, though I don't really expect to get back into that anytime soon. Might though. I used to do all my own film developing too, take good care of the negatives in any case, and any dust or scratches are easily taken care of in photoshop, And I'm a pretty selective shooter, don't run through a whole bunch of film in a given shoot anyway.

Mostly I just like the slower more deliberate pace, and the connection with the past, Newton, Farber, Salgado, too many to name. Hope film will always be an option, but unfortunately it's days are probably numbered. Sad we so easily give things up like that, always going faster and faster, and where does it get us?

Steve
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevewilliams Find More Posts by stevewilliams