Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My definition of GWC
Old 01-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35686
Comments: 0

riosun is offline IP: 67.67.133.232

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The term is used often around here. Some people aren't familiar with it.

It stands for Guy With a Camera. My definition is of someone who is only in photography to take "pitchuhs of gurls."

They have little or no thought of improvement or art. They just want a nekkid woman in front of their camera.

One model told me about a GWC hiring her and never shooting anything but her breasts. "Uh, my face is up here."

Bruce
  View Public Profile Send a private message to riosun Visit riosun's homepage! Find More Posts by riosun

Re: My definition of GWC
Old 01-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, thanks for the explanation. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 01-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

[ QUOTE ]
"Uh, my face is up here."

[/ QUOTE ]

UH OH!!!

Old 01-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.63

Hey Don, I really like that 2nd one there. What was the lighting on it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Nice try but ....
Old 01-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35686

riosun is offline IP: 67.67.133.232

You're light is too well executed as well as styling to qualify as a GWC. But keep trying.

My suggestion is to put your lights at an exact 45 degrees to the subject. Flat, boring light is the GWC's friend.

If you really try to lower your quality, you, too can be a GWC!

Bruce
  View Public Profile Send a private message to riosun Visit riosun's homepage! Find More Posts by riosun

Kind of a flawed definition... A contrarian opinion.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.247.8

You have devised a somewhat flawed definition, since guys like Andy MacFarland (just the first name that popped into my head) and a bunch of others who frequent here would apparently seem to fall under it.

Who says that a photographer has to necessarily be dedicated to improving himself or the art? If he's reached a level he's comfortable with, and achieving the results he wants, what's the problem? Not everybody wants to be catagorized with Ansel Adams, probably not even Ansel himself if he knew what it now represents.

And as far as just shooting one portion of the female anatomy, again I submit that there are MANY highly rated photographers who seem to concentrate fairly exclusively on T&A.

It's always easy to put your own slant on someone else's efforts and minimize them. The question then becomes one of how hypocritical are you being? Never shot any naked breasts I presume...

I am not trying to justify any particular motives for anyone's photography, it's way too varied and complex, and they change over time, sometimes dramatically. And that's my point.

Yes, GWC is a derogatory term, implying someone who uses photography as a means to a sexual end. But change the end goal from sex to money and you'll cast a pretty broad net. And who is to say that sex doesn't play some part in even those who purportedly do it for money or "passion for the art".

Me? I remain a dilettante. I got no axe to grind... different strokes for different folks... live and let live... do unto others, etc.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

mmmmm boy that was a long time ago....I think it was 30x40 softbox camera right about 60degrees the other was an umbrellas camera left and behind the model for rim lighting.

Don.

Re: Kind of a flawed definition... A contrarian opinion.
Old 01-01-2006, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

[ QUOTE ]

Who says that a photographer has to necessarily be dedicated to improving himself or the art? If he's reached a level he's comfortable with, and achieving the results he wants, what's the problem? Not everybody wants to be catagorized with Ansel Adams, probably not even Ansel himself if he knew what it now represents.

It's always easy to put your own slant on someone else's efforts and minimize them. The question then becomes one of how hypocritical are you being? Never shot any naked breasts I presume...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well spoken Al (Great photo too by the way)

I'm a GWC. I shoot scantilly clad girls just because I enjoy it, the models that pose for me love the photos I give them. I love doing what I do. I love it when a model sees one of my photos and smiles. I love it when models use my photos in their portfolios and profiles.

Generally I've found this term goes hand in hand with the snobby ego driven attitude that surrounds glamour photography.

We have to work hard to get models to pose for us so in order to better our chances to get Hot New Model to pose for us, we have to belittle another photographer.

Yep, you're a better photographer than me, and your camera cost 10 times more than mine, and your portable Alien Bee lights beat the crap out of my pop up flash and home made silver reflector. But ya know what? I love doing what I do. If the only way you have to make yourself feel better about your skills is to belittle me. Go ahead, I don't mind. But make it quick I have photos to edit.

And I intend to keep doing it.

Am I as good as I want to be? No.

Am I better than I was? Yes.

Am I good enough to have Beautiful First Time Model pose for me? I think so.

Have a great New Year! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 01-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43784

tmshots is offline IP: 24.22.50.66

I'm a gwc well really I'm a gw4xc. I understand what your refering to though, click and shoots. People that take shots vs. Photographs. Getting them naked just so he has some um... material to look at. Nothing more, this does exclude the hobbiest who in turn do it because they enjoy it. Ask for advice and opinions about their shots. What they can do to make it better. Some day I hope to Make money!!!! on my photo's but until then realize I have to pay my dues by doing a lot of freebee work. All part of the game though.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tmshots Visit tmshots's homepage! Find More Posts by tmshots

Re: Kind of a flawed definition... A contrarian opinion.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

[ QUOTE ]

You have devised a somewhat flawed definition, since guys like Andy MacFarland (just the first name that popped into my head) and a bunch of others who frequent here would apparently seem to fall under it.

[/ QUOTE ]
With due respect, I've gotta argue this one. While someone like Andy MacFarland has a clear niche and no apparent ambition to expand it, that doesn't equate to a lack of dedication to improvement.

Let's cloud this issue with more definitions... To me, Bruce's definition is pretty good in that respect. Consider what a GWC is not... A photographer is someone who understands the craft well enough to know they will never fully understand it. A photographer seeks a better image everytime they shoot, that even goes for mercenaries like me.

A snapshot is only a snapshot, a recorded moment. A photograph is a thoughtful conception, a visual representation, conceived and designed to attract a viewer's attention and perhaps communicate with them.

I have a specific person in mind when I think GWC. A guy who, on a paddling trip in Costa Rica, went around on off days coaxing local girls into posing nude for him by claiming he was with Playboy. He was very successful from what I saw but all he had were snapshots... probably over a thousand (pre-digital) Kodacolor 400 negs of naked chicks with hard shadows from on camera flash or extreme outdoor contrast... crap. All he ever did was show'em to his buddies and brag about how clever he was... GWC in my book. He didn't even realize he could've taken some simple steps to improve the images, didn't care either. The pictures were like trophies.

[ QUOTE ]
I remain a dilettante.
<center>

[/ QUOTE ]
A dilletante yes... Ernest Shackelton was a dilletante... Steve Fossett... dilletante.
Dilletantes have an uncanny knack for setting records and doing extraordinary things.
Striking photograph.

Take care Al.

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Closed Thread