Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need quick responses...lingerie shoot in snow and fog:
Old 12-30-2005, 12:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all,
In a couple of hours the 2 models I'm working with today are going to be swinging by to pick me up. What they are looking for are some images in the snow which is tricky enough without today's weather...foggy, (almost socked in) overcast skies. I'm planning on shooting with 400ISO color film with flash and given how dark it is at this moment I'm not sure how much to compensate.

Anyone had experience with this?

(it's times like this that I wish I had the digital camera that I'm going for by this summer)

Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: Need quick responses...lingerie shoot in snow and fog:
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

why ruin it with the flash? Go tripod, wide open with the high speed. flash will destroy the ambience. Add some warming filter, snow is very cool. (color temp)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

[ QUOTE ]
Go tripod, wide open with the high speed. flash will destroy the ambience. Add some warming filter, snow is very cool. (color temp)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Glenn! Wish I had a tripod! I could have used one!!

This was shot on an overcast day I used a reflector for fill.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

Dont make the mistake I did!! let your camera acclumate to the cold!! most of mine were out of focus because of condensation on the lens!!
I went from 72 degrees inside out to 19!! fogged right over!! But didnt notice it until I got them onto the computer!

Don.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Flash...because I'm concerned that I might not get enough light for their faces. I was planning on tripod and using a big f/stop for background blur but my lenses are medium fast so without flash the exposures will be long.

Do you compensate up or down for snow - up or down for fog? (today is a combination of both)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 12-30-2005, 12:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I'm using a tripod for almost everything these days.

2 things have happened:

My pictures are much sharper.

I spend more time composing the images rather than just shooting. Shoot less stuff, much less waste.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 12-30-2005, 12:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

It looks like you had light overcast....I'm dealing with bluegray skies this morning. I know that film has a lot of latitude but I want to get somewhat close. I do have an older sekonic handheld meter but I'm not positive that it's calibrated properly. I've also been warned off trusting the in-camera meter.

This is why I wish I had the digital now...immediate response and on-site changes to settings to compensate.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

flash will destroy the look and feel of the foggy snowy day you have. Fog and snow are like a huge giant softbox lighting gift from God. Don't throw the gift away.

As Don mentioned, use a white card or gold reflector to put some light back into their faces, but don't ruin it with flash.

Light meter, light meter, light meter. Repeat that 3 more times.

Meter the incident dome right below their chin facing back to the camera position. Use that setting and dont worry about the background, it will go light. Just like a white snowy foggy day should look. Don't use too dark clothes or the dynamic range will be blown.

Get the flesh tones right and everything else will fall into place. Leave the flash at home.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I've got a soft gold/white reflector that I'll take with me. Not sure how good it'll be. As for clothing I know that one of the models will be wearing a big furry 'Russian' hat and long coat...going to be dark.

The older sekonic incident meter is suspect but I'll take it along anyway.

The flash will stay where it is on the bag...just in case.

I was hoping to pop a little light into the eyes as both models have dark brown eyes, dark brown hair and somewhat olive skin.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40823
Comments: 0

ra35digital is offline IP: 67.183.190.165

I'm with Glenn, if you must use your flash, use it in a series you take last. We've all flipped the high beams on while driving in the fog... double that effect because of the snow. Using your flash will bounce a lot of light around and wash out any depths you might have. As for not seeing the final product, been done that way for years, you can do it. Be practical, bracket, keep a log of your settings and shot count. Oh, and pack a thermos of hot chocolate? Nothing more uncomfortable than 43 degrees and dank. Are you headed up to Whistler?

R.A.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ra35digital Find More Posts by ra35digital