Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
From last night...5-images...
Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.85.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Nope, not glamour, but I'm having fun shooting the Spurs for the Spanish Press here in San Antonio. It's all about passion, not the pay, that's for sure. (grin)

But what it does do for me, besides the rekindle the photojournalism passion, is give me some QRT practice, otherwise known in our tips section as Quick Reaction Timing of hand, eye and mind coordination--not exactly in that order.

Oh well, here are few of the images that went to the Spanish wire early this morning...of course Spurs won 111 to 84. I'm still a bit rusty as I haven't shot sports in some time, but having fun, nonetheless.

All are shot with the Olympus E-1, their new superfast f/2.0 35-100mm lens (eff. 70-200 on the E-1), Lexar WA 2GB cards, ISO either 800 or 400, natural light, no flash, white-balance at 4000K.

Thanks, and everyone have a Safe and Happy New Year!

View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: From last night...6-images...
Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325
Comments: 0

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.81

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some great shots there. I'm hoping one day to get to one of your workshops. Meanwhile I take baby steps to get to the next level.
Happy New Year,
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 12-30-2005, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

I only see 5 but who's counting. Number 1 and the last one has it going on. Ironically hand eye coordination in most sports is a skill and we can find how important that is in photography. Also, if you wait for the action to happen you will miss it. I think you have to have a little esp and fast buffer speed for action sports to capture the true moment or you will miss it.

Everyone needs to understand that it's much harder then it looks.

Nice stuff RG.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: From last night...5-images...
Old 12-30-2005, 10:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.85.25

JT--thanks bud, it was only five I posted, but yeah, I shot more, just can't give them all away yet (grin).

You're exactly right, it's hard and you have to anticipate the action, not to mention when they pass the ball and you're looking through a long lens, swing the lens over and the ref's leg is in your face. Last night I swear the ref hit my lens with his legs a few times, obviously, unitentional, as the action is that close.

I did one Laker's game in April where a player came crashing next to me, said hello. (grin).

When I was younger I covered a lot of sports, but it's been a while, so I'm a bit rusty and it's fun as now I can "chimp" as they head down court and say, "crap" then adjust and hope to get it when they come back up court. Thanks again, wishing you the best, thanks for being a part of the GG family and community. Happy New Year!

rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 12-30-2005, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35378

cohibaron is offline IP: 65.67.101.207

great shots, looked for you at the Alamo Bowl. Crappy lighting in there.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cohibaron Find More Posts by cohibaron

Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.174.82

[ QUOTE ]
I only see 5 but who's counting. Number 1 and the last one has it going on. Ironically hand eye coordination in most sports is a skill and we can find how important that is in photography. Also, if you wait for the action to happen you will miss it. I think you have to have a little esp and fast buffer speed for action sports to capture the true moment or you will miss it.

Everyone needs to understand that it's much harder then it looks.

Nice stuff RG.

J T

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... In fact,.... when I was forced into digital, I was then shooting with the ultra-fast EOS 1nRS body for outdoor professional soccer,... (my competition made me go digital),....and what I was able to afford then, was only a pair of D30 bodies.. the 1D had not yet been released at that time....nor could I afford a pair of them anyway.. and here I was with the god awfulest camera to shoot sports with...it's ultra-slow shutter lag, cropping factor of 1.6, a slow frame rate of 3fps, and an iso that limited me to 1600!! vs the camera with the fastest shutter lag ever produced in a camera, up to 10 fps in RS mode, FF 35mm, any the ability to push my fuji to 3200iso...and built for pro use, that cost me nearly half as much per body than the D30 (then 3k ber body only, no grip),...and here I am,...being expected to turn over the same results with this "stone age" like performance that I just invested all this money into.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I tell you,... I learned about "hand eye coordination" along with "stinking slow POS camera coordination" very quickly...because I had to.. & I wasn't shooting just wide stuff either.. I was shooting 300mm f2.8 which had a tighter crop than my 400mm f2.8 on a FF/ film camera! & shooting tight is essential...especially with the increased dof now because of the 1.6 cropping factor,... I managed to make it through most of the season, until I learned that they were going bankrupt..and I lost my gig.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Yep,...them were the days alrighty.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

It sure is nice to have better equipment these days!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Some shots from that season:

Wow...just look at that noise!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Yep,...that's all we had then..

JP

Old 12-30-2005, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43784

tmshots is offline IP: 24.22.50.66

Peaking my interest in photographing soccer has lead me to e-mail the Oregon chapter and start the talks with them of going out to games and shooting. I dont have a 300 500 or the godly 1600, all I have is a 70 200 and a doubler for that little extra reach. How do you think I'll fair? A tip or two will be great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tmshots Visit tmshots's homepage! Find More Posts by tmshots

Old 12-30-2005, 03:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.174.82

[ QUOTE ]
Peaking my interest in photographing soccer has lead me to e-mail the Oregon chapter and start the talks with them of going out to games and shooting. I dont have a 300 500 or the godly 1600, all I have is a 70 200 and a doubler for that little extra reach. How do you think I'll fair? A tip or two will be great [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

For soccer,...you really need reach.. and f4 isn't fast enough for night when they turn the lights on,... and using flash can be a mess if they allow it..

The 70-200 with the 1.4x is O.K., but a 300mm prime is way better..(on 1.5 or a 1.6 format body) I'd suggest looking into a used 400mm 2.8 for soccer..& a good monopod..(on a 1.3 or FF format body).. The 70-200 alone for the closer shots.. like this game winning kick shot:

Soccer is a lot of fun... non stop action.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 12-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48597

imagemaker6 is offline IP: 68.250.178.186

Great action shots. Razor sharp and
you captured the players intensity
in all 5 of these frames.
Thanks for sharing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to imagemaker6 Visit imagemaker6's homepage! Find More Posts by imagemaker6

Old 12-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43784

tmshots is offline IP: 24.22.50.66

yeah, the 70 200 is a f/2.8 and the doubler is a 2x. Have a great monopod and a nice tripod. But I know that a 400 or even better would be more ideal. However....I lack the $$$ after buying full studio light gear hehe. I will keep my eyes open for a nice used one though. Thanks for the info. I know I use the 70 200 for Competition shows and get some really good shots there without a flash. Thats dealing with stage light though. Much different then stadium lighting. But thank you for that bit o info
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tmshots Visit tmshots's homepage! Find More Posts by tmshots