Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
when is a scam not a scam?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There was a posting on craigslist.com recently about a certain modeling agency being a "scam". I wondered what this poster meant, so I sent an email and the poster called me. He had his story ready!

Seems the agency in question - SHOCK - told him he had to pay to have initial photos done! Then - SHOCK - told him he'd have to pay for comp cards. Then - SHOCK - the only work he got from them was doing promo work (handing out samples at grocery stores).

I told him that it isn't at all unusual for models to pay for photos and comp cards. He said, and I quote, "Well, I just signed with Elite, and they paid for the photos and comp cards." I didn't bother to mention that they probably put those fees in the "model owes us" column of their ledger.

I asked him if he got to keep all of the photos Elite paid for. He said he got copies of the good ones and, "I also own the copyright."

Okay, I'm no expert when it comes to agencies or the Real World of modeling, but it seems like this kid didn't get scammed, he just wasn't aware of the Real World of modeling. He said, "As a model, I shouldn't have to pay for anything. The agency pays for it all."

I about choked. I do know better than that.

He was so cock sure of his opinion, I didn't even offer a rebuttal.

fwiw, the agency in question does come up on Google when you search for their name and scam you get a bunch of links, but most of the complaints sound like disgruntled people - not outright scammed.

Someone posted here on GG an article or link to an article about what to expect if you want to be a model. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: when is a scam not a scam?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
9th Street Photo

Member GG#: 36629
Comments: 2

jimtraywick is offline IP: 66.168.227.237

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Of course, scam would refer to paying for representation and not handing out grocery samples. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimtraywick Visit jimtraywick's homepage! Find More Posts by jimtraywick

Old 12-29-2005, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 38751

AliciaRachel is offline IP: 208.189.119.229

you are right, he did not get scammed. Almost all smaller agencies require you to get your own photo's and promotional material together, they do help you in makeing the right choices though. And yes, your are right again on the bigger agencies. They may choose to cover the cost of your initial start up, yet they do deduct these costs from your first paying gig. Smaller agencies usually don't have the means to do this.

People have alot of misconseptions of what an agency is and what they do. I like to call it the pixie dust syndrom.

A few of the most disturbing things I ran across working for my agent for three years:

Talent/model-no experiance or photos: "if you want me, you will pay for everything" NO "then I will submit to someone else" go right ahead, they will tell you the same.

Talent/model- "once I am signed, I should be rich and famous and working on large projects immediantly" NO, you must work hard and learn your craft, we get you to the audition, YOU make it happen.

ARRRGGGHHH! Reason number 1200 why I quit the agency!!!!

Happy New Years!
Alicia

View Public Profile Send a private message to AliciaRachel Visit AliciaRachel's homepage! Find More Posts by AliciaRachel

Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.183.253

One more erson whose modeling career will last about 20 minutes. The sad thing is that someone else will follow for another 20 minute career.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

You are correct Ed, and you can quote me.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512

Fish is offline IP: 65.11.130.189

<CENTER>
Sarah who is hoping to have the opportunity to repay those costs!
(I pretty sure she will.)</CENTER>

This is from a post, "Running to Daylight", I made recently on Garage Glamour about a model who was signed by one of the major fashion agencies here in Miami:

".........you are responsible for these expenses, comps, tests, and a listing of your portfolio through us on Model Wire. The model's apartment costs.......... Oh, we will pay for these and charge your account, you will pay us back as your jobs start booking."

Also, I mention these and other costs and how they are handled in several of my published articles about modeling, agencies and getting started which are available through my main photography website.

John
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
http://www.couturemiami.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Wonderfully interesting reading.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42661

MurphyMurphyStudios is offline IP: 66.245.114.103

Thanks for the link.... very educational.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MurphyMurphyStudios Visit MurphyMurphyStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MurphyMurphyStudios