Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Why do photographers talk ****t about each other?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i was just reading DAX's holiday-wish post and some of his words kind'a hit home with this whole business of shooters talking ****t about each other.

is it jealousy? envy? a bad case of ill-manners? is it all about putting one's self above other shooters? especially in the eyes, ears, and minds of the beautiful women we shoot?

i'm not saying i don't sometimes fall prey to talking-****t about my photo-brethren. i do-- not often and not about too many, but i do. and there's no excuse for it; well, maybe there is. maybe the person i'm talking ****t about deserves it. but it's still not right! I'm wrong! i should be able to transcend human faults like gossiping and ****t-talking. but damn! it's so much fun sometimes. and i'm weak. very weak! you have no idea how weak. if only you could meet and ask the women who've left me! they'd tell you.

okay, here's my first of many new year's resolutions that i'll probably break within hours or maybe a day or two of the new year: i'm not going to talk ****t about any photographers no matter how much they deserve it! i swear i won't! no matter how much their work sucks, no matter how arrogant and full of ****t they are, no matter how annoying, rude, crass, self-inflated or egotistical they are.

btw, i'd appreciate it if anyone who talks ****t about me would quit doing so no matter how ****t-talk-worthy i am. and i know i am sometimes just that-- worthy of being ****t-talked about, that is. but c'mon! does it really make you feel better to talk ****t about me? okay, maybe it does. and maybe it's why i do it too. but it's still not right no matter how much better it makes you feel! that kind of good feeling is only fleeting... capiche?

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Why do photographers talk ****t about each other?
Old 12-27-2005, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

chalk it up to human nature..... who dont we talk Shyt about if given the chance? Well ummm besides our 5ft tall red headed wives that have the ability to chop off a member in the middle of the night and toss it out in the yard!!
But you know what I mean..

Old 12-27-2005, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

When a shooter talks shiite about another shooter, I think it shows a basic insecurity about their own work and, indirectly, their own self-worth.

Heck, now how to say this next part without sounding like I'm patting my own back ... lol

Just that I've never bought into it. I recognize there will likely always been better shooters out there than me, but also that their vision and mine aren't the same. Instead of bitch about them, I turn that energy into working harder at honing my own craft and improving it.

My take on it anyway,
Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 12-27-2005, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 69.19.14.24

uumm, now I remember why I'm not married.
ouch [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Well, why not?
Old 12-27-2005, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 70.114.246.117

Ok JimmyD- (Grasshopper)
Back to my Thirty Rules:

Rule number twenty-one:
When a model or client comes in with a sample of someone elses
work and they are looking to work with you, never bad mouth the
other photographer, just show your work and let them compare.
Superior talent always sells itself.
==============================================
Of course it's fun to bad mouth the other photographer, especially if
their talents are shall we say, limited?
But what does it say about us? Are we here to help or hinder or just
simply further our egos.

We sometimes like to think we are indisposable, but we often forget,
that we do die and the world moves on. Others take our place and
if we are lucky some of us become footnotes in the collective conscious
of society.

I've seen poor photographers become very good photographers and
some great photographers become very limited in their greatness
because they stop right where they are at. Nothing new, nothing innovative,
just stale, as if they've stopped pushing their talent to the max.

Now just for example, you and JP can really get at it, but I believe you
two really have mutual respect for each other, but at one time I was almost
afraid you two were going to drop trousers and see to who had the better "telephoto lens."
Then if you both pulled out 200mm's then it would be about who had the f 1.8
versus the f1.2 (LOL!)

Fortunately, we were spared this experience and life moved on.

But such is the way of the Force.

Maybe, we can as people and so called mature adults learn that lesson
and try to be more instructive and helpful instead of destructive and
helpless.

Greg.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 12-28-2005, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42715
Send a message via Yahoo to CharliesImages

CharliesImages is offline IP: 71.69.130.225

I try not to be negative about another photographer's work.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharliesImages Visit CharliesImages's homepage! Find More Posts by CharliesImages

Old 12-28-2005, 10:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

I may have to have this image as my desktop image. It makes me giggle and wince all at once.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 12-28-2005, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

NOTE TO SELF: Stop talking about Jimmy, forget he exists, take down his picture above the toilet, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jealousy is the only vice that gives no pleasure.

My experience is that degrading someone's work normally arises from events that have nothing to do with the art, but from standard human emotions that got hurt in some way and thus the cycle of revenge is flamed.

Forgiveness does not change the past but it does enlarge the future.
Paul Boese

Hopefully in the year ahead we can all focus more on the positive, the passion, the joy of creating. Best to you my friend in the year ahead.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Re: I SWEAR
Old 12-28-2005, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.245.154

I only write good stuff about you jimmy on those bathroom walls...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 71.194.33.59

Sadly, I found myself doing this last night.

However, in my defense, what I was trying to do was to warn a model to be very, very careful about working with a particular photographer. But to do that, I had to say some uncomplimentary things about them.

This particular photographer *can* take good images. I've seen them. And they're a good person. I've met them personally.

But they have a particular style, they never deviate from it, and frankly, the model I was talking to last night is too good - or at least has too much potential - to fall into the trap of continuous unpaid hobby shooting which is this particular photographer's modus operandi.

Now, I'm not saying I'm better than them, and I'm certainly an unpaid hobby shooter. Don't get me wrong. But I was *trying* like the Devil to do shots she can *use* to get *work.* At the very least she walked out of my studio with good solid headshots and body profiles she can show to people and interest photographers who are the next step up from me.

So is it talking smack to say things like, "Keep your clothes on, this photographer is really good at talking models out of their clothes and you don't need that yet?" (They are, too. Wish I knew how they do it!) Or, "You'll get good images from them but they won't really show what *you* look like, because $OTHERPHOTOGRAPHER has a style that uses a lot of artistic post-processing, so don't put them in your portfolio?" If it is, nolo contendre.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc