Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What is \"Glamour\" to you?...confused photog.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This has probably been done before (if so I apologize) but I'm confused as to the usage of the word "Glamour" in the images posted here. Perhaps someone can make this clear?

I'm dealing with a model on the Other Model Place who is very particular what she will and won't do...in terms of her availability. While she won't do Nude or Lingerie she does indicate Glamour and Fashion. I haven't met with her yet but I will ask what she thinks of when the word "Glamour" is used in photography.

So far I've seen here that Glamour denotes:
1) Nudity - full, semi, veiled, implied
2) No Nudity
3) Lingerie/underwear...sometimes only the panties
4) What I would call Fashion or Fitness
5) It all depends on the lighting
6) Pin sharp images
7) Out of focus or fuzzy images
8) Attitude from the model
9) Repressed attitude.
10) Focused lighting
11) Deep contrast in lighting.
12) Etc.
13) Etc.
14) Etc.

I'm sure there is at least ONE element, perhaps something intangible that makes these images specific to Glamour and not to any other type of photography?

I'd like to get a handle on this so that when I meet a model I can say that Glamour is primarily 'this or that'.

Comments or leads to other discussions?

Thanks,
Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Re: What is \"Glamour\" to you?...confused photog.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 24.11.124.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The one element that ties it all together is a beautiful model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 12-26-2005, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime of Obsession

Member GG#: 38218
Comments: 0
Send a message via ICQ to kevgre Send a message via AIM to kevgre Send a message via Yahoo to kevgre

kevgre is offline IP: 69.242.90.13

The word glamour today says NUDE .. When I mention it, that's what people expect.

True Glamour can be thumbtacked by checking out any of the glamour photo books of the actresses of the 50's etc. The true glamour shot is exactly that, glamourizing a woman/man with a shot that brings out additional beauty to the look.

Some glamour shooters today are shooting mostly nude. Sure, there can be a glamour nude, but all too often, they simply have [censored] lighting and a naked model. That's is not even approaching glamour.

Glamour glorifies beauty; nude or not.. But any glamour shots I have seen that I thought were amazing, were in black and white, and shot 50 years ago.

Click here for some sample glamour images of yesteryear
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kevgre Visit kevgre's homepage! Find More Posts by kevgre

Old 12-26-2005, 07:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 70.156.18.98

What is a 'chopper'?

In the true historic sense of the word, a 'chopper' is a motorcycle that has been chopped so that only what you need to make a bike go, roll, and stop remain on it. Front brake? Ehh, who needs 'em. Electric starter? Nah, kick it!

Today's choppers resemble anything but what my dad would have known as a chopper.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 12-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.24.63

I've never been one for eaxact definitions and like most things in life the actual lines a blurred greatly.

Why not simply talk in terms of clothing? (for limits)

I never say Let's Shoot Glamour", but I do say, how about some Lingerie, Bikini, tank tops, etc...

I also tell Models I would like to "Shoot as SEXY as YOUR Limits allow for"

And since they are bring the clothing, once here, we spread out (them) on the bed and mix and match...

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.164.252

[ QUOTE ]
once here, we spread out on the bed and mix and match

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry but its funnier if taken out of context!!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 12-26-2005, 10:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.24.63

I not shooting "those" type models...LOL

BTW: here is the bed:

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 12-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.196.35

fashion sells the clothes and accessories. glamour sells the model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-26-2005, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.101.197

The glamour photographer attempts to idealize the beauty and attractiveness of the subject and to show that person is irresistible. Glamour images often create a fantasy, showing the subject at her best, but always with an attempt to create an illusion of physical perfection. There are no 'rules' or strict definitions in glamour, all of your 14 points can apply to glamour. There can be tremendous overlap between what we describe as glamour, fashion, commercial and most any other style.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 12-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

I always look to the definition of titles when I want to figure out something. I have replied to the age old question of titles being tossed around for a few years now....Over the course of this, the definition of glamour has been the excuse to get a model naked or the implication of it, without saying I want to shoot you NUDE.

Glamour to me is A desirable attraction with beauty or charm (often with sex-appeal).

It really is that simple.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith