Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Does everyone use only Licensed MUAs?
Old 12-22-2005, 05:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42661
Comments: 0

MurphyMurphyStudios is offline IP: 66.32.225.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Recently I was surprised to hear that some photogs use talented but unlicensed MUAs for there shoots. It seems to me that this could create a substantial liabiliy issue for the photog (if the model gets a rash or infection). Any thoughts on this.... do you only use licensed MUAs?

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MurphyMurphyStudios Visit MurphyMurphyStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MurphyMurphyStudios

Re: Does everyone use only Licensed MUAs?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735

RickHughes is offline IP: 69.94.193.116

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a makeup artist in Atlanta that really makes a big issue of this, but the reality of this industry is far different than she tends to project.

you asked if photographers only use licensed MUAs. How about I broaden your question a little and say this. No clients, catalog, magazine, or other have EVER me asked about this. It is not just photographers. I use the best MUA available.

I have heard the licensed MUA go on about how important a license is. This is great marketing on her part. The realities of this industry dictate otherwise. Mary Jane Starke, no doubt the most successful MUA in ATL, commanding the highest dayrate BY FAR and working a LOT, laughed when I mentioned the whole license thing to her. She talked about how how none of the top MUAs in the country are licensed.

If it is good enough for the top print magazines in the world, top photographers, and my paying clients it is good enough for me! The license thing is a nice to have, but don't let a chicken little scare you off with horror stories that may be good marketing stories when it comes right down to it. Reality is different than what can be presented. Some people make it sound as though that license means you are more sterile....lol.

Let me ask you this. If you have a licensed MUA that does not do as good of a job, or talks and talks while she is supposed to be doing makeup, vs an unlicensed MUA with monstrously large national tear sheet credits and does better work faster, who would you use?
  View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Old 12-22-2005, 10:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35402

Gunfitr is offline IP: 162.40.140.233

Which state's license MUA'?

Which state's regulate MUA's.

I know cosmetologist, haircutters and nail tech's are regulated in some states but not in others.

Is the application of makeup considered within the bounds of "cosmetology"?

Even so, the liability, if any, isn't whether the person is licensed or not, but whether they have done anything to create liability.

You aren't saying that a licensed MUA who gives a girl a rash is protected from liability are you?

Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunfitr Find More Posts by Gunfitr

Exactly!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Yeah...and only PPA photographers are safe and shoot good images! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I just say to let your work do the talking and stop trying to get more work by spreading fear. (Directed at the MUA that does all of the talking). If you need to scare people into working with you then that says a lot about your confidence in your work

Old 12-22-2005, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Each state is different with laws. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong but in some states it's illegal to practice the profession without being licensed. Most of the license laws are designed for cosmetology in general, which chemicals are used for perms and hair products, etc.

It doesn't matter if someone breaks out with a rash, licensed or unlicensed. A license is not going to prevent someone from filing a liable lawsuit. A license is only a legal right to operate in that state that regulates the law for that state.

Again someone correct me if I am wrong but each state is different and that state will regulate shutting down and pressing charges on unlicensed operating MUA's of that state. Although I have never heard of such a case, I strongly suggest you check individual state laws before you blast everyone.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Re: Exactly!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
J T Smith

I see what your saying and even chuckled but your reference to PPA has no bearing on the issue. Just because a photographer gives dues to this organization doesn't mean you are a licensed photographer...lol... Last time I checked no states have a law on license to take pictures but many have it as law to have a license for cosmetology practices.

I know it seems silly but when it gets right down to it, there are laws and most of us don't really follow it. In fact if someone wanted to be mean right now, it doesn't matter if an unlicensed in a licensed state was better then someone that is licensed.....your statement is to get a better job done....like saying a bank teller always gives me 10 dollars more when I cash a check and the other one gives me exact denomination.....which one would you rather go to....or Jamaica weed is better then horseweed because I can smoke horseweed if I wanted to and be legal in my state.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35459

wgiles is offline IP: 209.16.210.102

The whole issue of licensing concerns me. Licensing is supposed to ensure that qualified persons perform the work, but I see most people using licensing to ensure their own employment. Licensing is supposed to protect John Q. Public, who knows nothing about the person he is hiring, from substandard or faulty work. Licensing has nothing to do with the abilities of the individual beyond having passed the examination. I know licensed electricians who I would not trust with wiring an outlet without supervision. They were able to learn enough to pass the test, but still don't understand the nature of the work that they are doing. I am a licensed professional engineer in the state of Illinois and have been one since 1980. I was not a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers until this year, when the state imposed new continuing education requirements that practically required membership in the society. I still don't like it. I am required to be a PE in order to sign off on certain documents, but I work in industry and most of the PEs represented by the NSPE are consultants. There is a difference and sometimes it's interesting to see what the consultants don't know, because of their lack of experience in our world. Experience, ability and knowledge of the subject at hand are what matter.

Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wgiles Visit wgiles's homepage! Find More Posts by wgiles

Old 12-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
J T Smith

I think you hit the nail on the head with your statement.

Licenses start out to protect John Q. Public and end up as a revenue source.

In addition it goes on and on...You have to be a licensed plumber to touch plumbing in our state but most licensed plumbers don't know half compared to most of our common practical construction workers around here.

J T

Licensed MUAs?
Old 12-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.236.162

Actually, I can't say that I've ever used or even known a licensed MUA. In GA for example, according to my understanding a license is required only to work in a salon.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester