Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Ordered my new camera!!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687
Comments: 0

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 65.92.95.130

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yep, that's right. I took the step last night. After the tragedy with my 10D I've been a little down and moping around the house. After searching high and low for the best deal I finally ordered a replacement last night. I got a 20D with a battery grip and 17-85 Canon lens. I'm afraid to say how much I paid in case somebody knows of a better deal. Anyways, I paid $1900 including shipping and then get a $100 mail in rebate. I can't wait until it comes. I am so looking forward to getting shooting again. The first thing I'm going to do when it arrives is change my insurance policy to include cameras!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Re: Ordered my new camera!!
Old 12-17-2005, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well good luck to you on the insurance part. I had my camera equipment DETAILED with my insurance company. I insured 15k for ALL of the equipment...that was actually more than I had but the difference in premium from 7500 to 15k was about $12.00 per year or so...

Anyway, ALL of my equipment was stolen on AUgust 31 of 05 while I was on a hunting trip. I reported it to the police...made the report to the insurance at 8:00 the next morning...HAD EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT....down to a $6.99 lens cleaning cloth...I submitted ALL paperwork the day it arrived certified mail...

Whats the status...they are doiing EVERY thing in their power NOT to pay...I have had to make 2 "under oath" statements on the phone...then 2 weeks ago, I had to sit in front of an attorney at a "deposition" of sorts. He grilled me for 2 1/2 hours...I guarantee they are trying to find some type of "technical" reasons not to pay.

What I took away from the meeting is that because I had about 5 lens (from a $75.00 50mm 1.8 prime to a $2000 70- 200mm 2.8 IS) they are trying to say I am a PROFESSIONAL and pro equipment would not be covered by homeowners insurance...

Its been 3 1/2 months since the incident and I am no closer today of getting reimbursed than I was 2 months ago...

So when I replaced my equipment, I took out a seperate policy for commercial use that will eliminate this problem should it happen again ( Bobby G is knocking on wood, fingers crossed etc.)....GOD forbid...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 12-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41227

photodadaz is offline IP: 24.221.140.241

I suggest you write to the Texas Insurance Department. Texas has always been on the side of the consumer (this from an old insurance company man). Lay out your case, who you are dealing with, and ask for their assistance.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photodadaz Find More Posts by photodadaz

Insurance...is it worth it, really?
Old 12-17-2005, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

Yours is not an isolated case. Insurance companies are not in the business of taking care of you but rather themselves AND their shareholders. Money talks. It's 'Oh so easy' to get insurance policies but trying to claim on them?...another headache/heartache.

A photographer friend had a D60 which was in the camera bag on a chair. Unfortunately the handle on the bag was in reach of his 1+ year old grandson. Well the camera got broken and could not be repaired. Canon suggested that, given that the D60 was not available, he could get a Rebel at a reduced rate. Which he did. Then his wife, through another conversation, asked him if their homeowner's policy had the 'All Peril' (I think that is what it was called) clause. It did and so the insurance company replaced his D60 with the 20D...with very little disagreement.

Now it could be his Insurance Company or it could be the 'All Peril' clause but the transaction was fairly painless. Mind you, in order to have this clause he pays a pretty penny on his insurance. But if you consider that his camera is a money making piece of his business it paid out to go that route.

Good luck with the bastards.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 12-17-2005, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Bobby,

Lemme second the suggestion to call the Texas Department of Insurance's Consumer Hotline (800-252-3439)on Monday. And be sure and let your insurance company/agent know that you're calling Austin to complain.

G'luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

Old 12-18-2005, 01:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.174.235

Glad to hear you are back in the game!

The insurance thing... it may cost you more than it's worth if you are looking to replace a 1900.00 kit.. I had a computer stolen out of my car..and I made a claim.. to date, with the deductable, and the rate increase, I have nearly paid what I paid for that thing, and that was just over two years ago.. I have learned to only make a claim if my entire camera bag get snagged by some punk..containing several thousands of dollars of equipment that I couldn't replace all at once.....or if my car gets totaled with my stuff tightly packed in it, destroying much of it... then, I would make a claim..

Just something to think about..

Enjoy your 20D! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Old 12-18-2005, 01:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.174.235

[ QUOTE ]
Well good luck to you on the insurance part. I had my camera equipment DETAILED with my insurance company. I insured 15k for ALL of the equipment...that was actually more than I had but the difference in premium from 7500 to 15k was about $12.00 per year or so...

Anyway, ALL of my equipment was stolen on AUgust 31 of 05 while I was on a hunting trip. I reported it to the police...made the report to the insurance at 8:00 the next morning...HAD EVERY SINGLE RECEIPT....down to a $6.99 lens cleaning cloth...I submitted ALL paperwork the day it arrived certified mail...

Whats the status...they are doiing EVERY thing in their power NOT to pay...I have had to make 2 "under oath" statements on the phone...then 2 weeks ago, I had to sit in front of an attorney at a "deposition" of sorts. He grilled me for 2 1/2 hours...I guarantee they are trying to find some type of "technical" reasons not to pay.

What I took away from the meeting is that because I had about 5 lens (from a $75.00 50mm 1.8 prime to a $2000 70- 200mm 2.8 IS) they are trying to say I am a PROFESSIONAL and pro equipment would not be covered by homeowners insurance...

Its been 3 1/2 months since the incident and I am no closer today of getting reimbursed than I was 2 months ago...

So when I replaced my equipment, I took out a seperate policy for commercial use that will eliminate this problem should it happen again ( Bobby G is knocking on wood, fingers crossed etc.)....GOD forbid...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! That totally f-ing sucks!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Mind if I ask which insurance company that is..??

By any chance, do they advertise how helpful, friendly, and quick they are with claims on the TV or radio..? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Hell,...if you are not doing this as a professional, but as a hobby, then I can't see why they wouldn't live up to their obligation,....and it appears that they are trying to set up a case for insurance fraud based upon what you stated here.. un-believeable!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

....Ok.....and IF you want to do anything about this, you have to retain an attorney, and he will cost you more money than you already lost by the punk who stole your equipment!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] So, in essence, you got jacked twice! Once by some low life bumb theif, and second by this insurance company, simply because you have nifty camera equipment, that happens to be used by some professional photographers! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Sooooooooo....under that absurdity, they can claim that ANY f'en camera is considered a "professional" camera, which automatically makes you a "professional", even if you aren't, because I happen to know professional photographers who have used cameras classified as non professional consumer cameras, in their professional use!! ..eg, Polaroids, point & shoots..etc..

My friend, I believe you are the victim of insurance fraud by that company who supposedly insured you! Maybe you could ask for a refund from them eh? ....like that will ever happen.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] !!!!

JP

Old 12-18-2005, 04:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.174.87

"... you have to retain an attorney, and he will cost you more money than you already lost by the punk who stole your equipment!!"

Not necessarily. Many years ago I was being seriously jacked around by an insurance company forllowing a serious auto acident. After a month of promises, questions, and some threats (by me), I paid an attorney 100 bucks. He mailed me a letter confirming I had retained him, with a copy to the insurance company. It was settled in full the day after they received the letter.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 12-19-2005, 04:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Photographer for Fun !

Member GG#: 36733

jorge_dc is offline IP: 161.149.63.100

Hey Bobby,

I can't believe you're still dealing with the headaches of trying to recover your losses from the insurance . . . What insurance do you have , if you don't mind my asking ? Only because I suffered a similar circumstance in mid August, all of my camera equipment as well as jewelery and other things were taken when my house was burglarized. My claims adjuster simply required copies of receipts or owner's manuals or even picture of the item that were taken just to verify that i actually did own what I said I owned. I had receipts for most of my stuff, so in the end they simply cut me a check for the replacement value of the items, less the depreciation of course, but in all I think it took a little longer simply because I had to take the time to locate all my paperwork . . .

My best to you on hopefully a speedy recovery from this point on, and I might recommend you look into a differne tinsurance company with a better track record of taking care of their customers needs, afterall, it is our premiums that keep them in business.

Happy Holidays Sir [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Jorge
JDC Photography
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jorge_dc Visit jorge_dc's homepage! Find More Posts by jorge_dc