Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Are small agencies any good?
Old 12-14-2005, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.36.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

Okay, I made a post once before about my friend who wants to get into modeling. She since told me that when she graduates (I'm not sure when, but I know it's not too much longer), she'll most likely be moving to another state (she listed a few to me, each of which are plenty far from Tennessee). But in the meantime, she was considering looking into local agencies to start out.

She was asking me about local agencies, but I realy don't know what to tell her. I know nothing about agencies, local or bigger, and I was wondering, are local (i.e. small) agencies actually any good, or does it really just vary from agency to agency, local or otherwise? Any signs to look for for a not-so-up-and-up agency?

Any help y'all can give would be most appreciated. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

agencies arent the issue
Old 12-14-2005, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

its where the work is.Thats the big deal. Clients=work=money.

if she moves to a market where there is plenty of work, the size of the agency doesnt matter.

if she ends up in a market where there is no work, it doesnt matter what the size of the agency..no work=no money for models.

have her do her homework first to determine the type of work available in that market, and then the requirements and see if she fits in. if she is a glamour girl going into a commercial market, then she wont work at all, or the reverse, more glamour work in LA than commercial (actually a lot of both in LA but you get the idea).

The size of the agency works in her favor is they are small in a good market, they keep everyone booked.

So check out the market and the needs and then she can make a good choice.

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Re: agencies arent the issue
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.36.129

Thanks a bunch Glenn, I'll be sure to pass the info on to her!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Are small agencies any good?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526
Comments: 0

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.87.190

Everything that Glen said AND...

any agency that asks the model to pay them money is usually a bad sign. For example....you need to pay us x amount of money to get you a portfolio or modeling school, etc., is bad news.

Living in Iowa, you would think that I would never get a modeling job, but the agency I'm signed with has gotten me quite a few jobs, that pay more in one day then I make in 2 weeks at my full time job. She keeps me as busy as I need to be, so I passed on checking into the Minneapolis market. Check out my portfolio and you can see the list of work she has gotten me. It's not glamorous but its dang nice work, that I'm proud to be part of.

kellyg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Re: Are small agencies any good?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 70.156.36.129

Thank you too, Kelly! I'll be sure to pass this on to her, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I hope your holidays are goin' good for ya!

Sam

P.S.: Check your email. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

ditto
Old 12-15-2005, 02:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.86

I'll ditto what Glenn said about going where the work is, with a couple of exceptions... First, I differ from his opinion about glamour and commercial not being the same, and one being more prevalent in LA than the other. Backing up a bit, the other major type of modeling is fashion, and everyone knows NY, and seasonally Miami, is where that work is, although there is a moderate amount of fashion (catalogs and shows) in places like Dallas, Seattle, Chicago and San Francisco, as well as a huge market in LA (probably second only to NY and ahead of all the others). Remember though, to really get started in fashion in NY, the female model needs to be young to get started (14-19) and tall (over 5'9"). In the non NY markets she can get away with being a little older, but not much shorter, although in LA we have a lot of catalog work for fashion models in the 5'8" range, and age can be up to 21 (if they're starting out, if they're older they're expected to be experienced).

In my opinion, glamour is simply a sub-set of commerical modeling. Commerical models pose for anything where they're not selling clothes or fashion. Cars, orange juice, electronics, beer, accessories, home furnishings, travel, etc, all examples of commercial modeling jobs. They can be used to illustrate something in a magazine, or a POP poster, or a catalog or billboard. Now if the modeling job is for a company that wants a "Maxim" model type look, they take a commercial model (some are sexier-looking than others to start with) and dress her up like a Maxim girl, and bingo, you have a glamour model. Whether she's busty or not, tall or short, older or younger, makes no difference. Glamour is a description of the look you're achieving. Some people use the term "glamour" to define an adult or nude model. I don't, but it makes no difference for the purposes of your question. Commercial and glamour (and adult and nude) models can find a lot of work in LA, although there are a lot of models here competing for it.

One thing that gets lost in this age of internet models and internet modeling agencies is that most bread and butter modeling jobs still get booked by models living in the city where the job is, by a modeling agency with an office in that city. On any given day here in LA there are probably dozens of casting calls for modeling jobs in fashion or for commerical products, and those clients and photographers are not looking for their models online.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: ditto
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

Andy, just one small thing, but please re-read my post, as I used LA as a hypothetical example and then said at the end of the sentence that in reality LA has tons of both types of work.

The gal in question is 5'6", so I didn't even mention any fashion work for her as she is too short for that everywhere.

But as I work in both a small market (PA) and often up in NYC (big!) there is huge diference between commercial and glamour stuff and how its perceived.

In NYC, models can take off your clothes and dance nude around the agency and everyone wants you to do naked editorials with the major shooters. Agencies actually try to get girls into Playboy or Maxim.

Here in PA, anything percieved as glamour is kept way out of your modeling book or comp card and not even talked about. Commercial is just that, lifestyle commercial stuff, while glamour is totally different, evan as you said, POP displays or other ad media for national mainstream clients.

But I agree 1000% about internet and mainstream models, not 1 job I know has ever been cast with web models, its all agency and independent gals going to castings. Web gals have no impact on the real work out there.

Small markets are very funny about that stuff. This image was done with a Phoenix agency gal who is 6'1", I'd never ask one of my local PA girls to do this, though they all look at the image in my book and say, "Cool!" Shot with my inferior D2X and Dynalites(sorry, had to dig you...)

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin