Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Definition: professional model ...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Four years ago, before my digital camera, before my studio lights, I met the 21 year old niece of my stock broker. I told her I wanted someone to pose for me to help me improve my photography. Over the next year we did six or seven shoots together ... and then she moved to another market. Last week we shot together for the first time in four years and got some amazing pictures. But what's more amazing about this women -- she refuses to call herself a "model" --saying that "real models" are professionals and she's just doing this for fun.

Let's see -- she ALWAYS shows up on time for a shoot (and sometimes early) ... she never complains about the pose, the makeup, the hairstyles, the outfit (or lack of outfit) ... or waiting for over 30 minutes for me to get the lights JUST right. She ALWAYS sends me a thank you note after each shoot. She ALWAYS emails me to pass along complements she receives. And yet, she doesn't consider herself a "professional model."

I'm just darn happy she decided to move back into this market!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: Definition: professional model ...
Old 12-12-2005, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.87.55

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You forgot to add that she has the face and body of a professional model as well. She is very beautiful! Good for you to recognize all the ingredients that make this girl professional. I'm sure she assumes that if she isn't doing it full time to make a living, that she isn't 'a professional model'. It took me a year and a half of getting paid assignments ,consistently, before I was comfortable saying that I was experienced or a professional. Sometimes I still wonder if I should take on that title since it is a part time job for me.

Anyway, I think you are right, she looks like a pro to me!

kellyg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Old 12-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.193.140

Marty, there is nothing like us patient subjects. We sit and wait and get the lights just right. Laff and have a good time...That is what a good shoot is all about for us subject’s that are just doing this for the fun of it. You have produced a beautiful image full of color and happiness. Keep up the good work.

DeAnn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Old 12-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.253.46

she's right. she's not a pro. too much humility. (and no, lack of humility doesn't apply to all pros... but ya see it way too often.)

beautiful image of a very beautiful girl!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48213

Marty_McBride is offline IP: 152.163.100.203

You should be happy, she is awesome....and so is the picture!!! Marty.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Marty_McBride Find More Posts by Marty_McBride

Old 12-13-2005, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43919
My Mood:

Christine_Sixteen is offline IP: 68.97.44.80

She certainly sounds and looks like a professional. Perhaps you can pass along to her that we all seem to think so. *smiles* I agree with Kelly G, she may just think because she isn't doing it full time for pay that she doesn't qualify as a model, but there are plenty of us out there with a day job who've been doing this for next to forever because we enjoy it.

Chrissie
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Christine_Sixteen Visit Christine_Sixteen's homepage! Find More Posts by Christine_Sixteen

Old 12-13-2005, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
DaveScott

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.248.0.15

Another great image!

There seems to be a different attitude toward modeling than there was when I opened my first commercial studio back in 1983. The average gal wasn't into modeling then and I was always working with pros.

Now I find that anyone can call themselves a model and those are the ones that I've had such a hard time with. Even the "agencies" in my market are low end. Geez, two weeks to iron something out because the model only works through email and checks it once a day.

So, I changed my networking strategy about 8 months ago and now that I need gals I have a constant flow of everyday women that want to model but not as a full time job. They tell their friends and the more are added to the network. They work at The UPS Store, local grocer, dance studio owner, drug rep, bartender, promoter, you-name-it. Every 4 - 8 weeks I host a small dinner or wine and cheese party to get everyone together.

The projects we work on range from calendars to product shots to club promo pieces, etc. One thing that I make sure of is that first timers shoot with me once before their first commercial shoot. Puts them at ease for that second shoot.

One of the things that GG brings to the table is that it is an extension of our own local networks. If a model on GG contributes you can get a feel for what she is going to bring to a shoot. My guess (I haven't worked with any yet) is that contributing GG models are truely into modeling whether for fun, profit, or both and that photographer's dollars will be well spent using them.

-- Dave

Old 12-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Excellent reply and great points, Dave. I'm constantly asked by other photographers "Where'd you find that model?" or "You always have such great looking model -- where do you find them." Truth is, I use the same "local networking" techniques and rely heavily on word of mouth within the right circles. I've ALWAYS had better luck working with non-models who are flattered that I asked them to model for me, than a "professional" model with a giant chip on her shoulder and a diva attitude.

And, similar to what Dave said, I give 90% of my paid work to models that I've already shot with ... most of whom never consider themselves "professionals." So what does that say for the "professionals" out there who are trying to make a living at their craft? Hopefully from the few photographers comments I've read on GG, it encourages them to live up to the word "professional" ... show up on time, check their ego and attitude at the door ... and prove to use that there's a beneficial advantage to hiring a "professional" model.

Another images of "non-model" Michelle

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 12-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42715
Send a message via Yahoo to CharliesImages

CharliesImages is offline IP: 71.69.130.225

How fortunate you are to be working with a model that's not only attractive, but has an ego that's in-check.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharliesImages Visit CharliesImages's homepage! Find More Posts by CharliesImages

Old 12-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Respect, appreciation, understanding, courtesy, and patience are all virtues of a word called Professional.

Your model friend is a professional.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith