Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Lets talk Moles, Freckles and Blemishes
Old 12-11-2005, 09:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been meaning to ask this for some time now.

In post, I try very hard to enhance the model best I can WITHOUT making them unrecognizeable. For the most part, I think I do a good job of that (probably due to the fact that I don't have ANY photoshop skills that would ALLOW me to alter one completely..LOL)...

Anyway, on the subject of moles, freckles and blemishes...

Do other photographers (this is your cue to respond) remove none, some, ALL moles, freckles and/or other blemishes. I am wondering If I am adding unneeded time in post by trying to correct TOO much.

Obviously the unsightly pimple or acne scar gets 86'd...or any other blemish that is not a NORMAL fixture of their figure (bruises, scratches...rug burns etc. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])...

But if a model is "molely" say in the middrift region...do you remove them as a rule or let em lay....just curious as to if I am overworking myself. I seem to lean toward removing ALL of the moles and freckle type spots when I can...

Opinions??...Anyone....Anyone...Bueller....Bueller ....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

depends on intent
Old 12-11-2005, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

if you are shooting something for the model to get work, then I leave all the permanent stuff, like moles and freckles, on. Its not fair for someone to hire the model based on a flawless skin and then find out the images were cleaned up.

But when a model comes in with a pimple or blemish, they go away as they are not there forever.

When the model is hiring me, I clean up as much as she desires. I'll show them examples of what my post production folks can do and see what she wants done..at a cost.

When its for a commercial job, then the sky is the limit to how much retouching you can do to make the client happy. I've had commercial images that have received over $ 1,500 in post production work, sometimes the post work exceeds the photographers fees.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Re: Lets talk Moles, Freckles and Blemishes
Old 12-11-2005, 09:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 69.19.14.32

One of my first models had very bad skin problems, which keeps her from doing other things, but it would take me forever to clean it up. She always appreciated it because she knew the time it took.
But with other models I always asked what marks or blemishes they wanted removed. Like a beauty mark that is distictively them, they usually like to keep if it doesn't detract from the overall purpose of the shot.
I like to think that a shot is a personal thing and the model should have imput on this.
JMO, I'm new and still learning.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Old 12-11-2005, 09:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Bobby

I always look at the entire image and ask myself if anything either attracts my eye (a bad thing) or distracts from the model (a bad thing). I only remove those moles or freckles where it disturbs the image. Unless, of course, the model asks that the moles/freckles etc be removed.

Bob

No freckles - but a few tats...

View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 12-11-2005, 09:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

I think you have to ask the question, what's it for?

Pretty Images

Model Portfolio

For a Client

An Agency

Stock

etc.......before you determine if it's right or wrong.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-11-2005, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

Lets expand that...
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty Images

[/ QUOTE ]
For them and their BF, Hubby, sig other. I am going to make them as flawless as possible, unless instructed otherwise. Most who know me know I don't hold back anyway, so I'll ask them straight out about certain things...

[ QUOTE ]
Model Portfolio

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the tricky one for me. Glenn brings up a great point...I don't want to remove a mole or freckle thats permanant BUT unsightly, because the next photog may be miffed when he sees it NOT knowing it was there. So for a model port shoot would you suggest leaving ALL permanant blemishes REGARDLESS of where they are and ONLY removing the temporary scratch, bruise or acne??

[ QUOTE ]
For a Client

An Agency

Stock

[/ QUOTE ]
I am assuming these images would need to be pristine...unless it was a CLEARASIL shoot [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 12-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

I retouched a mole once and was told to put it back....go figure...lol

Reading the thread after I responded, Glenn has it right.

My point is to recognize the client for the image intended purpose and that will determine your answer.

Glenn speaks your answer perfectly.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

That would make you a "Re-Moler" wouldn't it (to coin a Seinfeld phrase)

Thanks...yeah I think I got my answer...

Old 12-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.253.46

jeeZ... i saw your subject line and thought this was gonna be about lighting (moles) and it made me think, "what are freckles and blemishes?" in terms of lighting gear.

maybe i oughta put the bong away for a couple of days? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Not away...just always remember...

puff...puff...PASS.....puff...puff...PASS

Wisdom from my college years [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]