Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
\"Home Depot Lighting\"...? do pros use this or....
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45574
Comments: 0

sydastarkyle is offline IP: 66.107.36.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

"Home Depot Lighting"...? do pros use this or is it just a way for the pros brag about how spectacular they are @ manipulating light sources... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

What does your "H.D." gorilla style lighting consist of, and how do i make it?
This is a general question to anyone who will answer...especial people at the top of photographic food chart....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to sydastarkyle Find More Posts by sydastarkyle

Re: \"Home Depot Lighting\"...?
Old 12-10-2005, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.161.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Easy answers; no and no. While it's true that 'light is light' and that the secret is in controlling the light, not the brand name of the manufacturer, there are reasons pros use actual electronic flash. HD lights are great, but they are not made for photography, they are made to be used when working on a car. As for why pros don't use them. there are many reasons, but most basic is that they are not bright enough, they are HOT and they don't flash. No pro, whose mortgage money and the beans his kids eat comes from his photography, will use lights which restrict his ability to shoot a variety of photographic styles or which limit him in any way. HD lights are absolutely limiting.

They are a step backwards. The logic that home depot lights are fine for photography, would say that continuing backward progress says we'll be using flash powder next. After all, why not save money since we can mix up flash powder in the garage for next to nothing and our only expense would be a small tray for holding it while it flashes.

Home Depot lights work as will any light source, but they are limiting. What happens when one falls over and sets the curtains on fire or and burns a model's face? Hope you have really good insurance! HD lights will work for some things, but they do not allow the latitude needed for general photography. Try lighting a five member band or a car with HD lights. Try lighting any group or using them to overpower sunlight. Try using them in a softbox or with a snoot or grid to control light.

When pros talk about HD lights, far from bragging, they are generally trying to pass on some techniques which will allow amateur or novice shooters to get some articifial light without investing in studio set ups. If teaching is bragging, then maybe they are. Go into their studios and what you'll are expensive and extensive flash heads, not relatively dim jury rigged set ups.

Only on internet forums will you see HD lights as a desirable thing!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: \"Home Depot Lighting\"...? do pros use this or....
Old 12-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Pro or not is how to understand what the light does.

Many Home Depot lighting photographers that use it end up manipulating the hell of it in photoshop and some don't. Many brag on the light source but it's harsh and direct unless controled properly. Subjects will have to be styled and good make up and skin tones are required to get that hot light glamour look. You can't just settle on home depot lighting and be successful with it just because other pros use it. They manipulate it and control it to great results.

Lighting in it's various forms is also a style and it's handed down to us by other colleagues, pros or not.

It's important to understand the manipulative process's in all lighting scenerios.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

what he said
Old 12-10-2005, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

X 2.

Great explanation. I've never seen any serious professional photographer use them as their main lighting source. And thats based on hundreds of studio visits.

Great Post Doug.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 12-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 69.19.14.32

I bought some HD lights for my first "studio type" setup. I think I used them twice before I was able to get a Novatron set. There is no substitute for correct lights.
Granted I'm still learning lighting tecniques, but at least I'm not spinning my wheels with the wrong setup to start with.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Beautiful light
Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.238.92

I love that image Doug! Beautiful lighting whoever made it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Light is what you make with it.........
Old 12-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35303

mphunt is offline IP: 24.238.159.113

.........learn how to use it. Whether natural or artifical.

<center>
One HD light</center>

-mp
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mphunt Visit mphunt's homepage! Find More Posts by mphunt

Old 12-10-2005, 05:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

Speaking only for myself, I don't use hot lights on humans... pretty much for the same reasons Doug outlines. For still-life product shots? Sure I do. With continuous light and a tripod you can tweak a scene for the finest details... assuming an AD isn't standing over your shoulder. I don't have any home depot lights but I do use a variety of hot lights, some homemade.

For models, strobe is the way to go.

Weird stuff happens if you mix'em...

Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Re: Light is what you make with it.........
Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39608

hipchildreth is offline IP: 66.57.105.187

That's a cool shot for such a hot light.
Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hipchildreth Visit hipchildreth's homepage! Find More Posts by hipchildreth

Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Well some pros do use "home depot lighting". In fact the founder of Garage Glamour often uses them at his workshops. Here is a photo of one of his setups that I've seen in use at two different workshops he presents:

These are fluorescent lights and the total output of what you see in the photo is 320 watts. They are very cool (heat wise) lights by the way. You can buy the bulbs that are daylight balanced. You can get beautiful results from this kind of lighting for portraits and the whole setup costs about $100.

Here is an example shot with the above setup:

Here is a photo of another one of these ringlight setups made from two by fours:

Here is a shot with this setup:

So I guess it depends on what sort of things you want to do. I often use 4 fluorescent twist bulbs (23 watts each - but equal to about 120 watts each). I put them into little clamp reflectors that I bought for $4 each. I use the four all the time for lighting small products and macro subjects. Here is what these items look like:

I also use Alien Bees and Novatrons for glamour shots. So it depends on what I'm trying to accomplish. If I want a 40's Hollywood look, then certainly I'll consider hot lights and the cheaper the better. Add a fresnel in front of one of them and you have a focus-able light that gives great results.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith