Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Published?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Goddess

Member GG#: 44224
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to TaylorDelfino Send a message via Yahoo to TaylorDelfino

TaylorDelfino is offline IP: 65.166.25.172

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, so I registered one of my photos that I took on my cruise (a sunset in the Caribbean) for copyright (cause I just thought it was gorgeous)...
Then I get a letter from some company saying that they're publishing it in a photography book that's coming out soon, and wanted an "artist profile" to be published beneath it (and btw if I wanted to buy a book to let them know)..so the question is..
Anyone ever heard of "Endless Journeys"?? It's the name of the book they're publishing the image in..
Taylor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TaylorDelfino Visit TaylorDelfino's homepage! Find More Posts by TaylorDelfino

2 questions
Old 12-08-2005, 11:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How did they find the picture?

How much are you getting paid?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Re: Published?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35428

Wade is offline IP: 205.188.117.8

Taylor, first, congrats for thinking ahead and registering the copyright. But, am I reading this right? They contacted you to tell you (as opposed to asking you if they could) they are going to publish your pic in a book? You said nothing about them offering to pay you for the use, and want to even charge you for a copy of the book? If all my assumptions here are correct, they are trying to get over on you. Be very careful here. This sounds like yet another cheapening of a photographer's worth. It is a very nice shot, and you deserve to be paid for it's usage.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wade Visit Wade's homepage! Find More Posts by Wade

Old 12-08-2005, 01:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 38751

AliciaRachel is offline IP: 69.154.52.110

if you just registered it for copyright, they need to get a release from you to publish the photo.

Be carefull, my best friend got scammed almost just like this. She sent in some of her poetry for consideration, they said they wanted to publish it yet couldn't pay her because in was going in a book that they did for up and coming writers just to get her name and work out, so she agreed. They then charged her for a copy of the book (about $30) and I found it at the book store beeing sold for around $50. I really smelled scam when I read through the book, alot of the poetry and short stories were just terrible, not publishing quality at all.

I say, if they want to publish your photo, they need to make you a monetary offer. Just my two cents worth!

Happy Holidays!
Alicia

View Public Profile Send a private message to AliciaRachel Visit AliciaRachel's homepage! Find More Posts by AliciaRachel

Old 12-08-2005, 02:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Goddess

Send a message via AIM to TaylorDelfino Send a message via Yahoo to TaylorDelfino

I'm sorry, you guys are right; they did ask if they could, and if I agreed, they wanted the artist's profile. No, they did not mention compensation, as they said (as you mentioned, Alicia) that is was to get me "out there", etc.
Which I'm okay with; they promised all copyright is mine and would be noted as such. And it was not required that I purchase a copy - just asking if I'd like to. I figured I'd wait and get it at a bookstore for probably less. They wanted 69.95 (!) ... anyway, sorry about my miscommunication.
Has anyone ever heard of the book?
Taylor
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TaylorDelfino Visit TaylorDelfino's homepage! Find More Posts by TaylorDelfino

Old 12-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Goddess

Yeah, Wade.. I saw that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You called me Erin! I oughta beat you LOL
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Taylor

Old 12-08-2005, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42462
Comments: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to Hailey

Hailey is offline IP: 24.74.98.146

awesome pic, congrats on the offer to publish it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hailey Visit Hailey's homepage! Find More Posts by Hailey

Old 12-08-2005, 03:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35428

Wade is offline IP: 205.188.117.8

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Wade.. I saw that [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You called me Erin! I oughta beat you LOL
Taylor

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what you're talking about!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was really hoping you missed that, sorry. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wade Visit Wade's homepage! Find More Posts by Wade

Old 12-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Goddess

LOL wrong redhead!
See, I might've missed it... except I get external notification - therefore, I have the original!! muahahaha
Taylor

vanity publishing = advertisiing
Old 12-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.86

That's what this is called when a writer "self-publishes" a book no one else will publish. In this case, the publisher is gathering a bunch of images from photographers who probably don't have enough images or name recognition to get published on their own, and compliling them into a book. If you think the exposure in that book is worth it to you, then go ahead. Just make sure, as you have, you've registered the copyright, and that the published includes full photo credit and contact info somewhere in the book. For example, the appendix might have contact info (website, email, address) for all the photograpehers with a reference back to which images were their's.

There's really nothing wrong with this if you know what it is, going in to it, and you're OK with that, but most of the time the publisher gives the contributors at least one copy of the book. I've done this a few times when an actress wanted to use one of my shots along with a hundred or so others, and we all got a book (paying each photographer up front, for what would likely be a minimally selling book, would be prohibitive in today's publishing world). There are a famous series of photo books called called "Day in the Life of..." by photographer turned publisher Rick Smolan, where he coordinated photographers around the world shooting simultaneous events over a 24 hour period and stuff like that. Anyway, in one of his latest books, he did exactly what you're doing - he got all these photographers - famous or not - to send him photos along a particular theme, for free, to be published. And they did it, and it was.

Also, many professional photographers actually pay big money to get into what are called "source books". They essentially buy a page or two for anywhere from $2500/page and up, plus design expenses, and the publisher delivers free copies to graphic designers and ad agencies all over the world. There used to be a lot more, but the two big ones remaining are http://www.blackbook.com/ and http://www.workbook.com/. Of course they've also gone "online" in the last few years, but you can still see the main books in print. Many photographers buy them at camera and art stores to use for inspiration.

One last thing - when you registered this image, I hope you didn't just register THIS image, but rather take advantage of the ability to register a lot of images at one time on a CD? You could/should have registered everything you shot that day/week/month/year on one CD for one fee, and you'd be covered on all of it.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman