Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Running to Daylight
Old 12-07-2005, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 65.3.234.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

<CENTER>
Jesseca Jade, Mega Model Management, Miami</CENTER>

When I left you last, Jesse had just arrived in Miami (Fort Lauderdale Airport actually, but close enough). After she unpacked her bags and settled in I suggested we go down to Lincoln Road for lunch. She was up for that, so off we went. Lincoln Road for those who have not been here is the center of the modeling industry in Miami.

Located in South Beach (the southern end of Miami Beach, which is not a beach in Miami, but an island off the coast of Florida), Lincoln Road was the last area which was reclaimed from the disaster which was once South Beach. Today South Beach is the hottest property in South Florida, but it wasn't always like this. 25 years ago you could have bought most of the buildings if you were willing to pay the taxes on them. Think "Scarface", the scenes featuring rough drug infested run down hotels and streets were actually filmed in South Beach. It was drugs, gangs and blue haired old ladies sitting in front of run down hotels, hard to imagine these days. When I came here six years ago, Lincoln was a few shops, several agencies, and mostly unoccupied shells waiting to be refurbished. The developers using the proven technique of bringing the arts in first to occupy a rough area (we like cheap!) cut special deals with the agencies who had been previously located on Ocean Drive. It worked, Lincoln is where it's at today.

<CENTER>
Jesse at Nexxt Cafe, Lincoln Road, December 2nd
(The wind chill was a freezing 78 degrees)</CENTER>

Anyway, as we crossed through the door of the little gallery which leads from the parking area to the center of Lincoln Road, I told Jesseca to click her heels together. "Why?" she asked. Because when you step through this arch you won't be in Kansas any more! Eric Striffler joined us for lunch at the Nexxt Cafe (my favorite hangout), and they accommodated my request for a table out front. The owner is a friend (strange story which I won't bore you with today) and they actually do try to accommodate me. Why out front? Because this is Lincoln Road and you never know who will be walking by, Jesseca should be seen! (And she was, a booker at the first agency we spoke with saw her and was going to invite her to the agency, but we left before she got the chance.)

<CENTER>
Jesse, Eric, and Bugsley
(Bugsley is the one in the middle)</CENTER>

As we were finishing up, I told Eric I thought we would drop in on a couple of agencies where I have a more than passing relationship with the management. We didn't have any pictures with us at this point, but I wanted them to know she was in town. As it turned out, my friend at Mega wasn't in (he was at the model convention in Vegas, more about that later), but the staff was interested and made sure I knew they expected me back the first thing Monday morning. We went to one more agency and as expected they were very interested. "We like her, does she have a bathing suit with her so we can do the Polaroids?" No, but we will get one and come back. So 45 minutes later we are back in the agency office. While she is getting Polaroided (on Long Island, you learn to conjugate the word "to summer", in modeling we turn Polaroid into a verb as well - "He polaroids, they Polaroid, we polaroided") the manager is giving me a running commentary on her strengths and weaknesses. "I like her, she's need this and that, but no one is perfect. I like her." Great, sign her. "Well, I have to wait on everyone's opinion, shoot a roll of film and come back Monday morning, but I do like her!" He then sits down with Jesseca and lays it out. "How long are you going to be here? You leave on Monday? Well, if I sign you and I have a job for you on Tuesday, I expect you to stay and do it. Will you?"

Finally, we are at the crux of the matter. There it is. You don't prance around from agency to agency gathering comments about your good looks. This isn't a beauty contest, we don't give you a sash and a tin crown. It's a job, and it starts now. Season is upon us, don't waste my time. If you are serious I don't want to hear about a problem, I want a solution. At that moment the awful finality about what she was doing actually dawned on Jesseca.

Sigh, still no actual contract but very good signs. Monday morning it is, and besides, now I get to shoot all weekend. We shoot a few pictures on Friday evening just to get her into the swing and later she gets invited to an Ocean Drive party Friday night. That didn't work out but she did get to spend some time at Crowbar (one of the hot clubs in South Beach) with a couple of other photographers. I don't do Clubs well. I've reached the age where I can't hear my cell phone when it rings, but the music at the clubs always sounds too loud. Go figure.

<CENTER>
Makeup and Hair by Jane Pittman
God was generous to this child, the twins are original equipment.</CENTER>

Finally Monday morning arrives. On Sunday Jesse was all wound up about what to do about going home. "I really can't stay, I have to make all these arrangements, I have.." Yadda yadda yadda.....what ever. "You have nothing going on more important than this, this is what you came for, make up your mind, I don't care which way, but make a decision." But like I said, that was Sunday.

Off we go. The agency sees her again, still no decision, "someone else has to see her, we need more tests, can she stay? Go to lunch, we'll call you in 30 minutes with a decision". What ever, I gave them what I promised, the first shot, but it's Monday and I want a contract. The main booker at Mega is back, and we are headed there. (Big deal, Mega is a two minute walk down Lincoln Road, one minute to Ford, three more back to Karin (now called MC2, what's up with that?), and from there you walk across Lincoln to Wilhelmina.

<CENTER>
Jesseca Jade, Mega Model Management, Miami</CENTER>

We walk in and my friend looks up and says: "Do you want to be with Mega? Great, here is what we are going to do, you are responsible for these expenses, comps, tests, and a listing of your portfolio through us on Model Wire. The model's apartment costs.......... Oh, we will pay for these and charge your account, you will pay us back as your jobs start booking. Where are you from? Wisconsin? Do you know where Milwaukee is? Great, I will book a catalog job for you while you are home so you will have money in your account when you get back. I want you here in a week to shoot some tests so we can put your book together and print some comps. You will start working full time in Miami right after the 1st of January. I expect you to be here, okay? Fine. Sign here."

Anyway, while they are Polaroiding Jesse a German magazine comes in looking for some models for an editorial. "We had a casting all day yesterday and we're not happy, lets look at the comps on your board for the girls who are here now." While they are pulling comps down off the board, Jesse walks in wearing her bathing suit (her first shots were done in a simple dress). The art director stops looking at the comps, stares at Jesse, and wants to know if they can book her. My friend at Mega knows he has made the right call.

I'd make this stuff up, but the truth is much easier to write. It was one hell of a four days, and even I need a couple of extra hours of sleep at this point. Oh, and if the name Mega doesn't exactly ring a bell, it's probably because in Miami they represent unknown models like Carmen Kass, Petra, and Karolina Kurkova. Fast company, but if I have it right they are going to have to run a little faster. A big ol' dog is movin' in.

Fish
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
http://www.couturemiami.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: Running to Daylight
Old 12-07-2005, 12:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 65.8.235.167

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Congrats!!

Congrats to you.. and specially congrats to her to getting signed!

best of luck... and..... welcome to the jungle!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Congratulations
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 72.23.103.144

Love that running shot with all that hair !!!!

Beautiful Story about a lovely lady
( and the talented photographer / agent or whatever title you go by )

I was getting tired just thinking about all that over the weekend work you did !!

ps Good thing you had that winter coat for her with that wind chill of 78 down there

Also , would you represent a midlle aged , overweight male model like myself , you can start showing my avatar to the agencies and give me a call when they want me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
You would need a LOT heavier coat for THAT day [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

ps Didn't your 10D die ? What did you replace it with ?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Nice story, Fish. Well written, concise, spelling ain\'t too shabby either!
Old 12-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.109.156

Enjoyed that. Was beginning to think photographers were monosyllabic and strictly visually oriented.

Lovely girl. Hope she does well in the biz,

Write more, and don't leave out the pictures!

<center>

[b]Just hangin' out...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 12-07-2005, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617

joey61 is offline IP: 66.27.151.61

Greetings! Great story! She has gorgeous eyes, electric, almost. Hope to see more of her in the future. Great work!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

Wow... :-)
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.170.111

Wow..... wow............wow!!

I'm speachless! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yep,.... there goes another.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

....and all I did was one short test shoot..I wish I was in Miami.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

JP

congrats to the mega-FISH
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

Mega-body, mega-smile, mega-boobs, mega-everything!

She's been FISHED!!

Kinda makes those colds winters in DC a long distant memory now. You really need to join Models.com and write this story on there. Use Eric's account and let the girls read about this. You'll have an even bigger line on the balcony waiting to sign-up.

Good job!

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 12-07-2005, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

So it isn't exactly being discovered at the soda fountain, but it sure is close!

Tell her she has new friends on GG who are happy for her, almost literally, overnight success.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48325

lobofw is offline IP: 66.82.9.42

Awesome...just awesome
A scenario such as this proves there is a God.
I love the picture with the fur coat. That fur frames a beautiful lady.

Congrats, and good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lobofw Visit lobofw's homepage! Find More Posts by lobofw

Re: Wow... :-)
Old 12-07-2005, 07:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42715
Send a message via Yahoo to CharliesImages

CharliesImages is offline IP: 71.69.130.225

Please give details to the lighting of this pose.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharliesImages Visit CharliesImages's homepage! Find More Posts by CharliesImages