Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I hope it\'s just spitting on me!
Old 12-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 65.3.234.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

<CENTER>
Jesseca Jade - Mega Models, Miami
Hair and Makeup: Jane Pittman
</CENTER>

Ahhhh, I'm coming to this story a little late I see. When reading about something you are doing I'm always reminded of two stories. The first one is about two blind men describing an elephant. The conclusions each one will reach about what the animal really looks like will depend entirely on which end of the elephant they are standing.

The other story concerns a banquet I attended honoring a local business man here in Miami. After an effusive introduction, he came to the podium and said: "That introduction was fantastic and I appreciate the kind words, however I just want to correct a few smaaaaaaall errors. It wasn't coal I was trading, it was oil. It wasn't 5 million dollars, it was six million. And.......I didn't make the money, I lost it!"

Okay, after losing the money and being at the wrong end of the elephant I want to say that the story as related so far is generally accurate, and in some ways even more to the credit of the people involved than was suggested.

Well over a month ago I got an email from Joel Steinberg in Wisconsin (which, as everyone in the fashion business knows, is apparently some where west of the Lincoln Tunnel, even west of Jersey). He wrote about a young girl and the message included a picture. Now, Joel has been kind enough to do this in the past about people he has been working with, and often because of their age or personal circumstances I recommend that they go to Chicago and talk with the agencies there. Chicago is a fine market, you don't have to be 16 to get on the board for castings, and you don't have to make a major life style commitment just to drive there for an occasional go-see or booking.

This was different. The picture showed an amazing face with a spark of life that I rarely see in simple shots. Her stats sounded right (more about that later), and now for the hard questions. "How old and how tall is she...really? Is she willing to come to Miami, to stay here to work, and to leave here for New York (or Paris, or Milan), and never, never look back? Give her my name and number and ask her to call me."

At almost the same time I got an email from John Paul Greco (or JP as he is know here) about the same girl. Even more pictures and a link to a site with her stats. Uh oh, somewhere in the mix she lost an inch in height. Danger Will Robinson, danger, danger, danger! Still everything I had seen looked great, the more I saw, the more I was confident she could work. The key elements were going to be her actual age, height, and most importantly the strength of her desire to work in fashion. Finally she emailed me and confirmed that she was in contact because JP and Joel both recommended me (easy for them to do, neither really knows me!) and she was definitely interested. Now the hard part, I told her she would have to buy her own plane ticket to come down to Miami, and suggested an airline and the best days to book a flight. IF she would do that, I would cover her other expenses.

Then......nothing. Oh well, it happens. This is something a lot of people would like to do, are excited about the opportunity, but when finally faced with the reality of jumping out of the plane before you know whether the parachute will open things just become too difficult. "My boyfriend, my family, Christmas, the job, my friends, can't you just find out ahead of time and guarantee me something?"

No. It doesn't work that way. You have to come to the market, you must make the commitment in advance that you are going to stay, and you have to be willing to travel at a moments notice without a question. All of this and you are very young, never been away from family and friends for more than a few days, and never been to a weird city like Miami (lets face it, there never has been a TV program called "Oshkosh Vice", or "Baraboo Wisconsin Blue", or a movie titled "Fond Du Lac Confidential"). And to prove you mean what you say about actually doing the work, you have to buy your own ticket down! Sigh. Nothing, no word, no call, no nothing. And no problem, right now I have been so busy the last thing I need on my table is a lot of wasted time.

THEN, after two weeks, the email. "I have booked my flight, I'll be there on the 2nd (one of the days I had suggested), I hope you remember me!" Woof. She's coming down, and trust me, I remember her! Making the arrangements to pick her up at the airport I tell her "you won't have any trouble spotting me, I look just like the professional wrestler who became the Minnesota Governor, Jesse Ventura". If that doesn't stop her, nothing will. Finally I'm at the airport Friday morning and I'm waiting for the passengers to get off the plane. The person next to me asks who I'm waiting for and I tell them I don't really know, I've never met her. "How will you know who she is?" he asks. "Trust me, we will both know." Just then a girl is walking through the gate, and the guy says, "Wow, look at that one!". I just smile at him........and introduce myself to Jesseca.

Now, none of this happens with out three big stars, the real hero's of this story. The first two stars go to Joel Steinberg and John Paul Greco. Without their help and very supportive assistance none of this would have occurred, at least not involving me (the least important person involved). But the number one star goes to Jesseca. In the end she made everything happen. She originally contacted both JP and Joel, she shot with everyone she could, she pushed every button available trying to get the rocket motor to fire. And when the engines finally did light, she strapped herself in and without any guarantees about a safe landing, started the long ride into the cold dark night. (And that's more than an alliterative statement, she had a friend drive her three hours to Chicago in the middle of the night, she stayed alone for four hours at the airport afraid to go to sleep, and all of this to catch a 6 AM flight bound for Miami. It was snowing, it was cold.)

Fortunately, when she arrive in Miami at 10 AM, the sun was out and the wind chill was 81 degrees. Welcome to the Beach.

This is the end of Part 1. Later today I will finish the story with what happened while Jesseca was here and how everything finally worked out. Oh, she really is eighteen, and she really is 5'8 (actually slightly taller). I measured her in her bare feet, and so did every agency. They always do.

Fish
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
http://www.couturemiami.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: I hope it\'s just spitting on me!
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

cool...just cool...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 12-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39779

ParallaxView is offline IP: 216.183.49.4

great story so far...can't wait to see the rest of it!

Rudy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ParallaxView Visit ParallaxView's homepage! Find More Posts by ParallaxView

Thank you John!
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 4.159.170.111

For all that you've done for her!!

Yep, as soon as I met her,...I knew she was special..... and then I photographed her,....I had only wished I didn't book this as "just a test shoot".. I do hope to have another shot at working with her again before she boards her plane for the world that exists outside the cold state of Wisconsin.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If not,... oh well.. I enjoyed working with her,...and both Joel &amp; I did something selfless for her, which was to get her on her way, not to get in her way.

Some simple shots of Jessica / "Jade"..

(The website is a little slow today.. you may have to refresh the page)
All pictures were taken with the Canon 5D, 300mm f2.8 L, 135mm f2.0 L, &amp; 50mm f1.4 lenses.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

JP

Why thank you John!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35283

jstensberg is offline IP: 66.222.65.182

To the day I die, I will remember her phone call, at 10:20 at night telling me she's leaving for the airport.

Her first question was "are you sure about John?"

Actually, I was (well 90% at least). I've actually done some research on John, asked around. For all his self-depreciating humor, John has an excellent reputation for getting girls like Jesseca on the right track. The rest is up to the model, and in this business, that's all you can ask for - someone to help you find which doors to knock on.

Anyway, she really WAS giddy with excitement and so am I. I told her then, she won't be coming back on the 5th.

I see I was right.

You deserve Kudos too, John.

Standing ovation to all, and a toast to Jesseca's success.

Joel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jstensberg Visit jstensberg's homepage! Find More Posts by jstensberg

Old 12-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42462
Comments: 11
Send a message via Yahoo to Hailey

Hailey is offline IP: 24.74.98.146

Congrats to her, she has a great look and will go far! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hailey Visit Hailey's homepage! Find More Posts by Hailey

Stensberg, Stensberg, Stensberg............
Old 12-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

<CENTER>
Jesseca and Daria (Also with Mega - Miami)</CENTER>

'ey der, Joel, I accidently used the Irish "Steinberg" rather than the Norwegian "Stensberg". Apparently I spent too many years in New York.

Anyway, thanks for everything and I'm tipping a bottle of Molson's Lager to you!

John
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
305 534-9322
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

It was my pleasure.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

<CENTER> </CENTER>

As I said earlier, you and Joel deserve most of the credit. I'm not sure this girl might not have found some way to make it happen, but certainly I would not have been involved without your assistance.

Something everyone has to keep in mind, and it's always the last thing I say to a model after she signs with an agency. "This is not the finish line, it is the starting line. No matter how fast you have run to get here, you have to step it up to another gear if you plan on staying. Every day more girls just like you walk into every agency on the Beach, they all want your place in line. If you don't treat this opportunity like the rare gift that it is, you will be riding the bus back to Kansas faster than you can say 'Toto'".

And that's a fact, Jack.

Fish

PS: I LOVE the shot in the leaves, but you knew that. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
305 534-9322

See, that\'s your problem...
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35283

jstensberg is offline IP: 66.222.65.182

MOLSON'S LAGER?!

You need one of those good ol' Point Blue Bullets.

You know, the Skunk's pi...er....fine brew that you wouldn't desecrate a brat by boiling them in it, but is great for recusitating those long dormant brain cells.

Not to mention, it's a great and very, very, very, long term cure for constipation, hives, rheumitism and shingles.

Now that you have it right, thank you and don't do it again.

Or I'll be forced to come down there and show you what us Wisconsinites do best - drink you and 1/2 of freaken So Be under the table.

I'm not kidding here. We have 6 months of winters and another 6 that the snowmobiling sucks. So, we drink, excessively. Certainly you remember that from your vision quest in Michigan's Upper Penisula.

For those not familiar with the Badger State, let me give you two examples:

Three bus loads of my statemates once drank the downtown LA Hard Rock Cafe dry in one night (that is dry, when they tottled back onto the bus, there was not a drop left in the place. None, nada, zip..burp)

Then, two years ago, a tour group (two charter planeloads) from Green Bay drank Jamica (yes, the country) dry of beer in less than a week. After the the resort bought out the stock from the other resorts on the island, they had to airlift beer in from the States to feed the need for suds.

But, seriously, no problem. When I do get down there, you can just buy the first round.

Keep us posted.

Joel

PS, the sad part as only you, JP, Jesseca and I know I'm not writing fiction here.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jstensberg Visit jstensberg's homepage! Find More Posts by jstensberg

Joel, how come ya no hello me when you know me so good?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

<CENTER> </CENTER>

You only have six months of Winter?

At Michigan Tech we had ten months of good skiing, two months of fair. Students went to Green Bay for Spring Break. The most popular car on campus was a Zamboni. Spring Break at Tech is called "Winter Carnival" (you know you're in trouble when you're going to a school who uses "Winter" and "Carnival" in the same sentence). When I first flew there from Virginia I got concerned when they started loading sled dogs in the back of the plane. Then I found out they weren't sled dogs, the were the cheerleaders. By homecoming I was dating several of them, hence the popular expression at Michigan Tech, "Three Dog Night".

Our TV came in on cable from Wisconsin, we had "slo mo" and "stop action" years before anyone else. It got so cold at Tech that the electrons in the cable slowed down and would finally stop. You had to light candles under the TV set to get the action moving again.

And don't get me started about horny. When I went there we had 8,000 students, 100 were co-eds. There were no women. At the dorm you wanted the top bunk during winter quarter, it was a defendable position. Ten minutes after I arrived in Virginia for the summer, I kissed my girlfriend and she got pregnant. That same day we went swimming in Lake Fairfax, my "boys" finally thawed out. Later that year a fisherman at the lake caught a 10 pound bald sperm. He had to throw it back, by then the limit was 15 pounds.

A few guys from Oshkosh finished off all the beer at a hotel in LA? At Tech when we watched Wednesday Night Hockey, we drank CANADA Dry.

Fish(ie)
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
305 534-9322