Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Observations on modeling
Old 12-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I ended my No Models dry spell on Sunday with a session with one of my favorite "regulars", Ashley Law. She's a 25 year old smooth skinned curvy natural beauty. She's a creative sort who brings her own spark and vision to a shoot. We truly collaborate when we work together.

The one thing I keep trying to pull from her is more of her personality. She's a bubbly person, but when we shoot I get what I have pegged the "Ashley pout" - cute, but trite after 25-50 frames.

I was battling it on Sunday. Great figure, flawless skin, but the pout or open mouth. It is as if she is trying to be "model-like" instead of being Ashley.

For her first time ever, Ashley posed nude (cheesecake cute - she requested that I not post them, however), and that's when her personality came through. It was amazing. Her face lit up - she hit different expressions, from coy to flirty to sexy to happy -- the faces I've been trying to get from her for all of her clothed shoots.

She was more natural when she was nude - less artifice. I asked her afterwards if she was at all nervous posing nude for the first time. She said, "Not at all." It showed in the pictures.

I wish I could show 'em to you. But I am a man of my word.

Here's one I can show...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: Observations on modeling
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.81.208

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Ed,

I have a few thoughts on this topic. I could be way off base, but I'll share them anyway. First, she wasn't nervous because she knows you and trusts you. You've proven your trust to her and have just proven once again that you can be trusted by not posting them.

My main thought on this though, is when a model takes off her clothes, she is free...uninhibited, and maybe even feels a little power. It's all her at this moment. She can express herself freely. Every once in a while, Take off your clothes and walk through the house, walk out your back door, feels kinda good...lol I would do it, but my kids would be in therapy throughout the rest of their life. My kids used to strip down and run around the yard and play half the day naked. They loved it. Granted we have no neighbors for miles. My mom used to stop by and visit and was a little concerned that they were nekkid half the time, and I said...."Let em enjoy it while they can!"

Just a thought.

kelly
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Old 12-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.81.208

I almost forgot, I really like this shot, she is very pretty and definitely someone to work with as much as possible!

kelly
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

It\'s interesting ...
Old 12-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.245.99

I've seen the same sort of thing many times. As some know, most of the ladies I work with are not models, but everyday, civilian models who are posing for the first time. Many of my shoots are mixed, some clothed and lingerie shots for them and nude for my use. I used to do the clothed shots first, with the logic that they would become accustomed to the lights and posing before going sans knockers. I saw the same reaction you described on a pretty regular basis. So often in fact, that I now do the nude portion of the shoot first.

I've often discussed this with the ladies after their shoots had ended and almost all used words like "it was liberating", I felt beautiful and "I felt free". One lady commented to her husband, "That was the most fun I've ever had with my clothes off". I don't pretend to understand it, but it's real. There seems to be some strange inverse relationship between wearing no clothes and self consciousness.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.253.46

sometimes, when they drop their clothes, many other inhibitions are shed with them. go figure. i like the treatment on the image, btw.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40073
Comments: 1
My Mood:

MrPhotoStudios is offline IP: 66.179.46.69

Ed,

I've observed that too with some models. Maybe not posing nude, but the less they have on, swim suit or lingerie, the more of their personality comes out. It was amazing the difference with them.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MrPhotoStudios Visit MrPhotoStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MrPhotoStudios

Old 12-05-2005, 06:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47836

cArly_eRin is offline IP: 68.204.41.63

yeah and ya know, after reading this, maybe i'm the most self consciousmodel in the world, or that what she is wearing in the pic is my 'uniform' @ my job (shot gurl GCS), but i'm definately not at my most comfortable with out the clothing unless it's work i do for a designer that i just HATE. the whole no motivation thing i guess. BUT i'm confident in front of the camera either way, but from experience. maybe there's a camera in her bedroom at home! YEA! etiher way, it's a cool pic, and i agree with jimmy, a really cool treatment.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cArly_eRin Visit cArly_eRin's homepage! Find More Posts by cArly_eRin

Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.245.99

I've no doubt that it depends on the individual. In my post below, my 'sample' was far from random, they were ladies who initiated contact with me and who had made the decision to pose nude. While far from universal, my comments were based on a sample which is large enough to base some conclusions. On the other hand, a highly experienced nude model who I had known personally for 7 or 8 years, admitted to having been quite 'nervous' during our first session.

For us guys, you women will always be a mystery!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47836

cArly_eRin is offline IP: 68.204.41.63

we're a mystery even unto ourselves!
*that's why man invented the camera.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cArly_eRin Visit cArly_eRin's homepage! Find More Posts by cArly_eRin