Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Let me know what you think.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45079
Comments: 0

Phillipphoto is offline IP: 70.225.56.205

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a picture of my lovely wife.

I took this at a wedding we attended. She was adjusting our daughters shoe. This is what I saw so I took it.
I tried my hand at photoshop and removed a blimish. I also turned it to B&W.
This is my third image on GG but I look forward to posting more.
Let me know what you think.
-Phillip-
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Phillipphoto Visit Phillipphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by Phillipphoto

A couple of things...
Old 12-01-2005, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.115.24

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hmmm, no responses...

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, after all, it is only my opinion.

First, I like BIG pictures. What with advancing age, cataracts, etc., it's tough for me to see details in little bitty pictures.

Secondly, the brightest area of the image will attract the viewer's eye. That's her shoulder in your image. Not a very interesting area.

Her expression is kind of indeterminate. Is she perturbed you took the picture, is she uncomfortable in that position, or just what does her face tell you about what's in her mind?

There's a little "confusion" there at her neck, I have a difficult time telling if that's hair or a dark necklace under her chin.

I think you could improve the image with a different crop. Maybe take 25% off the right side and bottom so her eyes are more centered in the image.

The fact that not much light was hitting her eyes is unfortunate. It exaggerates the slight crease under her eyes. A piece of white paper could have been used to bounce a little light into her face fixing that and putting a catchlight in her eyes.

So now I've bitched about most everything, and you probably think I'm some kind of grumpy old fart who couldn't take a decent picture to save his life.

Damn, you figgured me out on the first shot!

Keep looking and shooting. Look first, shoot second. Works good that way...

Welcome to GG!

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Thank you for your advice.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Phillipphoto is offline IP: 70.225.34.139

491 views and finaly one post! LOL
Thank you for your views on this image. I also like the larger images and need to find a place to host them.

I think all of your points are valid.
I bounced the flash of the top of the room almost directly over head. I think that is what gives the bright shoulder and shaded eyes.

This was a quick shot that I took and did not have the reflector with me, but that is the way to go next time.

I posted this so I could learn, and receive input. You are not a grumpy old fart ... You are exactly the right age of fart.

Thanks again for the input. I will play around with the crop.

-Phillip-
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Phillipphoto Visit Phillipphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by Phillipphoto

Re: Let me know what you think.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.176.141

I have to agree with Al and might add that the pose looks like she is straining her neck. I like nany new idea in poses but it has to be "natural". The other thing, the hand does not add to the portrait and detracts from the face.

Many members here are focused on images with skin and have little interest to take their time to comment on images that are otherwise. -Jim

View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 12-02-2005, 11:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44937
Send a message via MSN to Joseph1

Joseph1 is offline IP: 205.241.37.47

Hey... that`s a nice picture but .. my opinion is that she must have been looking at the camera or at least her whole face be seen. and the guy must have been looking at her.

good work,
Joseph aRT
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Old 12-02-2005, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Still Learning

Member GG#: 36942
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Bonner is offline IP: 69.230.176.141

Just one of many versions...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Bonner Visit Bonner's homepage! Find More Posts by Bonner

Old 12-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37039
Send a message via AIM to cdnmoosey Send a message via MSN to cdnmoosey Send a message via Yahoo to cdnmoosey

cdnmoosey is offline IP: 69.140.89.179

Hi Phillip,

Well not to disparrage on the other replies because they did have valid points but I'd like to leave a positive comment here. This is taking into account that it was a quick grab shot. I think the image has value and if nothing else it should encourage you to take more shots of your beautiful wife. Maybe even set up a planned shoot with lights, careful posing and all that good stuff.

I look forward to it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cdnmoosey Visit cdnmoosey's homepage! Find More Posts by cdnmoosey

Old 12-03-2005, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Phillipphoto is offline IP: 70.225.65.26

Thank you for your positive comments. I appreciate all of the advice. I think you understood more of what was going on here. It was more of an impulse shot that I tried to turn into a portrait. I didn't pose her or set the shot up in any way. I just noticed the look she had and when she made eye contact with me I snapped the image.

I did learn from every post though. All advice was noted and will be used in the future when I do set up a shot or pose a model.

Thanks to all who posted.

-Phillip-

Old 12-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Thanks for the post. She was looking down and when she looked up she noticed the camera pointed in her direction and I took the picture.

-Phillip-

Old 12-03-2005, 12:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Jim,
I have noticed the % of skin to the # of posts recently. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

-Phillip-