Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
But waite what is this?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.248.160

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The shadow is all wrong here.

View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Re: But waite what is this?
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.31.224

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

are you on that Gjost trip like David moyle has been doing?

looks interesting, but this one needs more work (sorry)

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.248.160

Actually I've been doing this sense last spring, your comment "sorry" is so full of helpful criticism don't know where to start. hmmn!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Old 11-30-2005, 08:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

More interesting, but why two figures? Loses emphasis, particularly since they're rather far apart, on opposite sides of the image. And while having the "wrong" shadow is intellectually jarring, having the intensity of the shadow vary so much between her feet and its "head", particularly with the distinct lower and upper halves, reduces the effectiveness of the illusion. Transparency is about right, IMO.

OTOH, if you hadn't have altered the shadow, having the same ghost ascending and descending - albeit perhaps a touch closer together - is an interesting idea.

And details - things like rotating the image to get the horizonal lines square to the frame, lining up the sidewalk stress relief "crack" to be square into and centered in the frame. I always forget to watch carefully during the passion of shooting, but slowing down - somebody's tag line includes something like "see what you shoot" - is important.

Lovely woman, lovely gown, and great location. Getting there.

Of course, you realize you're going to have to explain to us - well, at least, me, because I don't see how you're doing this so well - how you're doing this - in detail.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

killer shadows...
Old 11-30-2005, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
diamonddc

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 192.86.114.174

First correct for horizontal line tilt, never let anyone see an image with such a technical flaw if you can avoid it. Parallax can work for us or against us... wait no, sorry it seems to only work against us.

Multiple and or long exposures can often lead to unpredictable results unless you account for EVERY light source and shadow source. The shadow in question is distracting and the result of an off camera shadow source. Ether you or an assistant or an onlooker was located in front of a light source during one or more of the exposures. Even very dim light sources can create visible light in a longer exposure. One way to reduce your own shadow during a long exposure is to keep moving. Set the camera on a tripod and then move away from the camera during the exposure so the shadow does not have time to “Burn-in� Using this technique will produce an undefined shadow for shorter exposure times to no shadow at all for longer exposure times. But the best way is to remove the shadow source altogether when possible. For this image I would clone the shadow out in PS or re-shoot.

One idea you may want to consider is try matching the flash lighting temp to the existing light temp. In this shot the background is much warmer than the light shining on the steps from your flash

Another idea would be to place a prop in the shot on the stairs with her that is not ghosted Choose a prop that helps to tell her story. The right prop could make this shot.

Also consider ways to make the model more prominent in the shot, cause here you have lots o’concrete, little bitty model.

Keep on keeping on.

ddc

Old 11-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994
Comments: 0

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

It may be something in the air....maybe I saw something he did and subliminally (sp?) it triggered me to want to try it?!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 11-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

I can see some of the points others made...but...overall...I like it in concept

It would maybe have more impact in front of a smaller building. But who am I to really judge...I haven't been able to do one I'm completely happy with yet.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 11-30-2005, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.234.158

I see it as an excellent, highly creative shot. Well done! In mny view, correct that slight tilt and you've got it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: But wait what is this?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.248.11

Thanks guys! very helpful post here.
I was going to start a new thread on Nikon D100. Problems that are not consistent, except that tilt, it's in every frame. EVERY FRAME! Same amount same direction. I would have blamed the Civil war damage or the earth quake of 1868, but those factors would not have an effect on the shots I took in Indiana.
I used a tripod with 4 way level bubbles on it so I know the camera was square, but the tilt is still there. I even checked the line the steps make and made sure they were parallel with the frame. No help there.

These time exposure shots are a work in progress, while Sheena and Jackie are lovely models, this little project of mine is at least a mile to go yet. Getting control of light and shadows are a problem I need to work out yet. I may be able to use Photoshop to take out the shadows in some shots, but I'd rather get it right in the camera or as close as possible first. The tilt, I'm just going to have to deal with that in Photoshop, I am convinced the camera is hosed in that respect. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2005, 01:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.248.11

The shadow is Sheena's dad, a car passed by when we were shooting.
Because it wasn't Sheena's shadow I thought it was kinda cool.
Tourest would walk right through the scene (not this frame) While they may not even show up it's still distracting my model. Oh the joys of living in a tourest town.