Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Perhaps my most serious and sad photo shoot ever ....
Old 11-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218
Comments: 0

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.205.191

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Perhaps my most important photo shoot ever as well as my most sobering and one on which I worked harder than I ever worked on any commercial assignment. It was also the greatest compliment I've ever received. And I can't show any photos and frankly wouldn't if I could. It's also one which made me cry (for real).

I received a call a couple of weeks ago from a lady who said she is a cancer patient and would like some artistic nude photos for her husband. It turned out, she is terminal with about six months left to live if the disease progresses as expected. While her body already showed the signs of the disease, she wanted photos before her deterioration progressed. I postponed another session and shot her the following weekend.

She said she had spent a week surfing the net for figurative photographers and selected me because she believed I "could do the best" with what she "had left". They drove about 300 miles for the session. That part was the great compliment.

To say the least, the shoot was a difficult one for the obvious reasons of working with a cancer damaged body, but it was also emotionally difficult for me because of the import of the session. Though damaged, she was still a very beautiful lady. She was obviously on extreme medications and had to take frequent breaks for her oxygen tank and simply to rest.

She was in her mid 30s and had been married since her high school graduation to, in her words, her "lifetime sweetheart". Her husband was present during the shoot and was totlly supportive of what ws for her, a very strenuous effort. Both said this was her idea, something she wanted to do for him. Now I'm far from a P'shop expert, but during this past couple of weeks, my investment in P'shop paid for itself. I was able to bring back some shrunken limbs and breasts, fill in some shrunken facial features and so forth. It made me really wish I had more skill in that area, but the results were good.

I mailed them about 20 8x10 prints. In addition, for those Mac users out there, I ordered an 'ibook', a hardback book, for them with about 30 images, which should be delivered to them sometime this week. Then today, I decided I could not profit from their misfortune and shreded their check. They have enough problems without adding my costs to their already overwhelming medical expenses after medical insurance. Her husband will more than likely have to sell their home before it is over. But he told me later in a phone call, that he didnlt care about tht, that he wouldn't want it anymore, after she is gone.

Anyway, I have not been around much since that shoot, mainly because I have not been in the mood to post on a forum. I've had a hard time thinking about anything other than this really remarkable couple.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

There are good people out there............
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Amateur

Member GG#: 46960

Qikshots is offline IP: 4.152.27.183

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There are good people out there,and YOU are one of them............
Joe Merritt
Chesapeake,Va.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Qikshots Visit Qikshots's homepage! Find More Posts by Qikshots

Re: Perhaps my most serious and sad photo shoot ever ....
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

"There before the grace of God go I"

The whole time I read this, I'm thinking, tell me he didn't profit from this.

God bless you!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 11-29-2005, 07:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

Well done Doug.

Thank you,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

Old 11-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

Thank you for sharing such an incredible and thought-proving experience with us all, Doug. It truly puts things in perspective, you know? What an amazing and courageous person.

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Old 11-29-2005, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39936

BLUEFROG is offline IP: 4.229.202.183

There's a special place in Heaven for people like you Doug.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BLUEFROG Find More Posts by BLUEFROG

Old 11-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.205.191

N, I'm just a shooter, I supect any here would have done the same. That reservation in heaven has her name on it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

You Have My....
Old 11-29-2005, 08:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35309

postcardsfromthewasteland is offline IP: 68.214.11.227

...profound respect and admiration. You did a great thing for people who have been stricken by a horrible thing. Anyone who can bring a ray of light into such bleakness is def ok in my book.

Bravo, sir.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to postcardsfromthewasteland Visit postcardsfromthewasteland's homepage! Find More Posts by postcardsfromthewasteland

Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.17.13

I found out a few weeks ago my Gramps has two Tumers...There is no Chemo Option for him...Its gonna be a Subdued Christmas...Thay have my Best thoughts...and you Sir My respect...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 11-29-2005, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.253.46

you brought them some joy amidst their desolation. you gave them something the husband will cherish forever and a gift that puts a beautiful face on all their beautiful memories. that's your payment, doug. and i envy the richness of it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd