Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Your thoughts on this???
Old 11-28-2005, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436
Comments: 0

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This was taken from a GG model portfolio:

*~I also have a release for photographers...as they do for me, I do not want my pictures re-used or submitted without my permission...a photographer may have taken the picture, but they are of me...and I want to know where they are going and who is viewing them! If you do not comply with this...forget it! I will make the photo-g sign BEFORE we shoot, doesn't matter what type of shoot (exceptions can be made if paid job)...this is REQUIRED!~
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: Your thoughts on this???
Old 11-28-2005, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45600

photogjohn is offline IP: 64.46.176.34

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

WTF??? If I do a photoshoot and it is TFP/TFCD and the model signs my model release I cam post the images anywhere I want to. I do not have to tell her/him where they are being posted. I would not work with this model. Now granted if any of the shots the model doesn't like and does not want them shown to anyone I will repsect that. But to say "You have to let me know where you are going to post the photos...you got to be kidding me!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photogjohn Visit photogjohn's homepage! Find More Posts by photogjohn

Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 45243

Tiffany_Karns is offline IP: 63.215.122.7

If she is posting that and the photographer took the pics obviously and she doesn't want them submitted anywhere.. .then she should be paying the photographer!!! That's just ridiculous! People like that shouldn't be modeling then...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Tiffany_Karns Visit Tiffany_Karns's homepage! Find More Posts by Tiffany_Karns

Old 11-28-2005, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35620

Shadow is offline IP: 65.102.54.222

This is an impossible situation. I can think of no reason to work with this person.

Shadow
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Shadow Visit Shadow's homepage! Find More Posts by Shadow

Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

It depends on what she means by "re-used or submitted"

A decent TFP release spells out how BOTH PARTIES may or may not use the images, so there's no need for her SEPERATE release. If she is insistent on that, then she's probably difficult to work with and not worth the trouble.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Old 11-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 45243

Tiffany_Karns is offline IP: 63.215.122.7

Amen Brotha!! lol

View Public Profile Send a private message to Tiffany_Karns Visit Tiffany_Karns's homepage! Find More Posts by Tiffany_Karns

Old 11-28-2005, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 69.15.101.106

Had that happen to me once - fortunately before the shoot - and though I was still very "green", I knew the model was FOS.

Let's see if I can recall all of her requirements (keep in mind, this was for a TFP shoot - she had only posed for two other photographers):
* She had "final approval" on all image. I could not post on-line or use in a printed portfolio any image she didn't approve of.
* She was to receive copies of every image (I shot b+w film, and told her I'd give her a contact sheet, but she wanted a print - at least 4x6 - of every image.
* She "reserv[ed] the right" to direct her own poses.
* And the kicker, she insisted on publication rights to every image because (and this one I remember clearly) she "[had] connections with certain art magazines and fully expected to be published in them," and she didn't want to have to "bother with trying to get in touch with [me] later to sign a publication release".

I told her her demands were unreasonable, countered with what I considered a reasonable TFP arrangement (contact sheet, choice of 5 8x10 - 11x14 archival prints, and permission to use those images for self-promotion in a printed or on-line portfolio). She said no, and that I was missing out on an opportunity to work with her since she was "going to be a star very soon".

Some star - I don't even remember her name!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 11-28-2005, 01:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

This seems to be getting more and more widespread. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-starter. I'd pay models before I'd sign a deal like this. I'd shoot a lot less, but this is a place where I will not go.

My first impulse is to say, "She's nuts," but it never hurts to ask, I guess, and all she's doing is making herself less attractive to photographers who aren't interested in this kind of deal. I've given (a) model something *sort* of like this - although she didn't have preapproval rights to my usage, she got pretty much unlimited use rights including some commercial rights with shared profits. But that model is, in her own particular niche, quite famous, and I was lucky to work with her, especially for free. It's all a question of relative contribution.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

I didn\'t want to shade the answers. . .
Old 11-28-2005, 02:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

to this query so I posted it without comment. Now I think I'd like to add a few comments.
When I first started out as an amature I had no desired to show pictures that the model disapproved of and I made sure the model knew that. In many cases I didn't even bother to get a model release, a thing I have regreted almost daily. In either cases I now find myself in the age of the internet and have tons of images that I cannot show because I have either no model release or a release that makes it impossible to post without prior permission. (admittedly the latter is due more to verbal promises than release wording) Needless to say I have little or no contact with most of these women.
I can't fault the model for wishing some control but unless she's willing to make herself available for consultation for years to come she is being unrealistic. It's nice to honor the wishes of the model but reality places it's own litmus test . . .if you don't want to be seen in a certain situation don't get in it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 72.23.103.144

Here are MY personal thoughts on this and I expect a lot of flack for it
but here goes...

1- the model MIGHT have found some of her images in some adult/sleaze ad
2- the model MIGHT have been taken advantage of before
3- it IS worded strongly ( but since you did not QUOTE her by used the ... before and after... )it is taken out out of context

4- if she paid the photog , she has ALL the say in HER images
5- if the photog paid , HE/SHE has ALL the say in the use
6- if it is a trade / TFP shoot , NEITHER can use the images unless BOTH agree
( that should mean self promotion , printed and/or online portfolios -- NO commercial profit )

In the end , if YOU don't like it , don't do it
That goes for model AND photographer
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom