Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Suddenly, I feel so much better about my photos
Old 11-23-2005, 09:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41098
Comments: 0

2112 is offline IP: 66.74.15.208

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

After having met the beautiful April Scott at the mall several times, I finally get to see her photos in this month's Maxim! They were shot by Antoine Verglas whos work I love, however, I noticed something. The photos are great, but I noticed several similarities in my photos, things I normally cringe at and think the shot is ruined because of it. Most notably, some blown out backgrounds and some harsh light on the side of the model's face. Also, I am a little too obsessed with my photos looking REALLY sharp and crisp, apparently Mr. Verglas isnt, so maybe I shouldnt stress about it so much.

Maybe these things arent really "mistakes" but they are certainly things that I hate to have in my photos. However, now that I see some of these same things in the photos of an excellent photographer with much more experience and far better equipment than me (not to mention pro retouching) I think I can relax a bit [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

By the way, the pics are located here if you want to see them:

http://www.maximonline.com/girls_of_...cott-gm_l1.jpg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 2112 Visit 2112's homepage! Find More Posts by 2112

It\'s all a matter of perspective...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.210.30.179

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Verglas does it and it's "creative inspiration", joe amateur does it and "it's out of focus".

Who knows what dark secrets lie hidden in a photo editor's heart?[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Suddenly, I feel so much better about my photos
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 206.255.19.226

Seems to be a pretty common theme, really. SI swimshoot photogs exhibit the same "artistic flair". http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/swi...n/issues/2005/

I've come to the conclusion though that for the most part, 98% of the audience that is viewing these images are not interested in them for their composition, lighting, etc.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

I feel so much better about my... Oh no, say it isn\'t so!!!!
Old 11-23-2005, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.210.30.179

Oh no, say it isn't so!!!!

You can't possible mean that there are people who actually look at pictures of beautiful semi-naked young women and don't automatically analyze the light source, calculate the lens length and aperture, and look for subtle clues as to which camera was used. Oh no... it can't be!

My gosh, think of all the hours of debate we've wasted over camera makes and lighting setups, analyzing them to the nth degree...

and it all comes down to cup size!

I'm am crushed... utterly destroyed... and ROFLMAO. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL! </font>

Two of many things I am thankful for...
<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 11-23-2005, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41098

2112 is offline IP: 66.74.15.208

[ QUOTE ]
I've come to the conclusion though that for the most part, 98% of the audience that is viewing these images are not interested in them for their composition, lighting, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. As long as the model looks hot and is in reasonably good focus...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 2112 Visit 2112's homepage! Find More Posts by 2112

Old 11-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.139

A "mistake" isn't a mistake if it is done intentionally. Alot of "Art" photography is so dark you can't see a thing only think it is their or just the oposit so blown out you only see vage lines. You and me are striving for a perfect exposure and chrisp sharp pics. If you intend to blow out some of the photo and plan for it then it isn't a mistake. In a previous post Mr. smith pointed out very graphically the extent people use to go to to get a "soft focus" effect. It is the other artsey side of photography. That is why I have a problem with some of the responses to photos on here sometimes. If we don't know what the shooter is trying to do mabe we don't look at the photo with the same "eye" he is. And then their are real mistakes that sometime we learn from and then try to repeat because the results are so dinamic we like it and do it alot.

This photo is an example of what I am talking about. Blown to hell and back. It was intentional. I wanted the bluejenes and the blue rail to stand out an the rest to be blown out. The quality isn't very good anymore. my puter crashed and the fuzzy is a mistake in trying to retreave it from a very small photo. not the exposure. But alot of people see it and think the exposure was the mistake when that is what I was trying to acheve. I have always liked this one because it came out just exactly the way I wanted it to.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 11-24-2005, 09:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 72.145.225.24

"One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Old 11-24-2005, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38323

Fuzzybear is offline IP: 209.94.199.137

After being a member of Garageglamour for more than a year now this is my first post. One of the things that we must remember is that in most professions the "best" people are not neccessily the most successful.

It's how you market youself that counts. I've read all the talk about artistic interpretation and all that but it's just an excuse to sell bad pictures. The same thing happened with paintings just over a hundred years ago. Centuries of knowledge and excellence were thrown out the door so that modern paintings, produced in prolific quatities by the like of Piccaso could be sold. Suddenly if you painted someone's head where their knee should be it was great art.

If you are already popular you can overexpose the picture, blow out the highlights, shoot in harsh sunlight and get desaturated colors, then say it was all intentional and your photos are accepted !
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fuzzybear Visit Fuzzybear's homepage! Find More Posts by Fuzzybear