Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How to get started working with models help needed
Old 11-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42786
Comments: 0

Professor_Fate is offline IP: 67.186.36.223

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have shot a couple of weddings and pets, and of course my family. I am now starting to work with HS Seniors and my lack of skills at directing a model have become quite apparent to me, and perhaps the models...

SO is there a way (workshop or...) where one can learn the basics of directing a model? I can do the 'look at the camera and smile' but hey, that just ain't cuttin' it with 18 year olds that want 'looks' or won't sit still long enough, or blink, ot have a friend there that keeps suggesting poses...I have not sought this work (for this reason...) but since it has come-a-knockin at my door I don't want to turn it away!

I live in Western Pennsylvania and will travel 300 miles or so without issue..longer trips (like the west coast, deep south, etc) are out of the question time and money wise.

Any help most appreciated!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Professor_Fate Find More Posts by Professor_Fate

Re: How to get started working with models help needed
Old 11-17-2005, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Communication is one of those things that you can't sell a workshop on but how important is it to those of use who are lacking personal communication skills? It's actually one of the key points to a successful shoot.

Through various supershoots' events we have introduced communication as one of the topics from time to time. Kelly, coming from the model side of things and myself coming from recognizing how important communication skills are.

In the meantime until you can possibly catch one of our workshops or another, tear out some poses in magazines and show your subjects what you would like to accomplish. It creates an avenue for communication and gives you something to communicate with. A great starting point to begin.

J T

View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 11-17-2005, 04:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36140

BryanB is offline IP: 65.2.225.17

Listen to JT. He knows.

I started with a couple of workshops. It helped me learn technique and how to work with models. The first day I got flustered looking a naked model while talking to them as if nothing was going on... now I am able to be a true professional w/o any effort...

Another benefit of the workshop is that he helps you get started with a decent portfolio. Models will judge you by the quality of your images and the models that you have worked with before.

I can personally recommend Rolando's and JT's workshops if you are starting out with the modeling thing. Once you get some more experience then workshops like the ones that Rick Hughes runs are lots of fun.

Bryan

View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanB Visit BryanB's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanB

Old 11-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35623

bscott3125 is offline IP: 70.129.186.215

J T nailed it on the head. Communication skills are important.

I have, still do to some degree, have a big problem posing models. I know what I want in my mind which is 90% mood more than a pose but I sometimes have a hard time expressing it to the models I'm working with.

Being able to attend J T's workshops, talk with Kelly and work with numerous models have helped tremendously. I used to be intimidated by a lot of models....especially experienced ones. Not true so much anymore as I'm growing more confident in both my photography and posing abilities.

I would absolutely recommend a workshop or two or three [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If that's not possible, find "experienced" models to work with and learn from them. There is NOTHING wrong with doing that at all.

Most importantly....do not give up. Keep at it, HAVE FUN and don't dwell on it too much [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bscott3125 Visit bscott3125's homepage! Find More Posts by bscott3125

It\'s kind of like riding a bicycle....
Old 11-18-2005, 01:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.76.147

It's kind of like riding a bicycle, people can tell you about it till the cows come home, but until you try it... you are not gonna get it.

Couple of things can make it a bit easier. Cut out simple magazine poses as previously suggested, and show them to the model. A picture is worth a 1000 words and all that... And study the poses a little before the model arrives so you know where the hands go, etc...

There are a number of Amherst Media books on posing seniors, and any number of glamour photography books full of images with poses you can "borrow". I'd recommend any of the Peter Gowland books (mostly out of print now, but widely available in used bookstores and on the internet) as good starting points for glamour poses.

Use your hands a lot. You can tell a model to tilt her head forward, but if you can show her the angle you want with your hand, it's a whole lot easier to get across.

Practice, practice, practice...

Shooting experienced models will help build your confidence, but you have to learn from them. Study the images you do and see what works and, as importantly, what doesn't work for various body types, shapes of face, etc.

But that's just my opinion...
<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak