Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Fancy backgrounds and props.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had an interesting phone call today....I lady wants to pay for a glamour portfolio package. She asked if I have any fancy backgrounds and props, because what I had on my website was dull. My response....I dont like alot of fancy backgrounds and props for a glamour portfolio because it detracts from the Model..I want the model to be all the attenion in the photo.

I know everyone has an opinion on this,mind sharing?????
would love to hear your thoughts.

Don.

Re: Fancy backgrounds and props.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629
Comments: 0

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.123.53

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Don

Here are two of my favourite images....

Each works because of the background and Props ( or lack there of) ... The whole image has to work. Putting someone against a background isn't going to make them, or you look better.

grs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

Old 11-10-2005, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 44943

Kori_Rae is offline IP: 66.12.67.238

I agree with you, however I do think props are good if you are shooting someone with not alot of experience or maybe someone who is a little nervous.....It makes it alot easier, or it did for me when I first started.... But now that I hang out with JimmyD I am far from shy, nervouse nor do I need a prop, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kori_Rae Find More Posts by Kori_Rae

Old 11-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

[ QUOTE ]
nor do I need a prop,

[/ QUOTE ]

But Kori...dont you find Jimmy has a prop like quality???
You know..just sits in the corner collecting dust until someone wants to use him or sit on him???
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Don.

Old 11-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Hey Don,

I'll be blunt. I am perplexed with people. So this lady calls you and wants to do a package....if she thought your props and backgrounds were "dull" then why bother you in the first place. That cracks me up about people. Its like a client who hires you to do a job based on your style as they SEE your portfolio and then wants something totally different or doesnt let you shoot based on WHY they hired you in the first place. Personally...id tell her to go to glamour shots....lol. Just my .02. However...then again..you can shoot with props or "scenes" in the background to add color and interest....but..like you...I dont want it to be the focus as it takes away from the model ....I agree with you about that part of glamour....

Ciao
M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 11-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 44943

Kori_Rae is offline IP: 66.12.67.238

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nor do I need a prop,

[/ QUOTE ]

But Kori...dont you find Jimmy has a prop like quality???
You know..just sits in the corner collecting dust until someone wants to use him or sit on him???
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Don.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL~actually that is so funny.....He is not a prop himself but he likes to use strange things....... Such as fruit. He will know what im talking about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kori_Rae Find More Posts by Kori_Rae

Old 11-10-2005, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Regardless of what the client wants, if you want the business the client is right. I shoot models for magazines and every day ladies for their husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends/themselves. If you don't give her something to cling to when you're photographing her she'll feel weird and won't have fun. The photos are what she'll have with he for the rest of her life, but really Don, you're selling her an experience. If she as fun, the photos almost become secondary. They are tangible memories of her experience.

Why don't you offer to go to her home. She's most comfortable there. You can even use her bedroom. Guess what? You're out of pocket fro props is almost non-existent and you can charge extra for travel.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

While your post did not mention. . .
Old 11-10-2005, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

boudoir I can't help but wonder if that is not what she is looking for. To me "boudoir" means and intimate setting. while glamour may not. The best thing you can do is get together with her and ask what she had in mind.

View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 11-10-2005, 06:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.240.104.76

I tend to agree with you, that props can be distracting - although, as mentioned by Kori and Mike, props can make the model more comfortable - an important consideration.

However, if you're going to shoot for someone else, you want that other person to be satisfied. So, like Carl (cclesue) said, talk to her again. Ask her to bring some examples of what she wants - or prepare an extensive catalog of possibilities for her examination. As mentioned, working in her home would be good, IMO. Saves you some effort as well as puts her at ease.

Good luck.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 11-10-2005, 07:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.95.116

I tend to think that the simpler the background, the better. But, it might be good to see what she thinks is a fancy background.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink