Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hey Al, have you seen this one?
Old 11-09-2005, 06:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45232
Comments: 0

Driftwood is offline IP: 80.42.225.229

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just read Al Nowak's post on his "latest trip to the newsstands...." , and decided I would like to share with you all, a British magazine that you may not have seen.

The magazine is called "Digital Photo Art" and is available by subscription only. It does not appear on newsstands in the U.K. , so it is unlikely you will see it on newsstands elsewhere in the world.

Please note that this is not a "Glamour" magazine or a "Fashion" magazine, but I would particularly like to bring it to the attention of anyone who (like me) is always looking for Photoshop tips and techniques.

The magazine is not published by one of the large publishing houses, but by a photographer who has set up his own small publishing business. In my opinion this shows up clearly when you read the magazine, and makes it significantly different to most of the other photographic magazines on the market.

The company also publishes one other magazine dedicated to Monochrome Photography.

"Digital Photo Art" is published 6 times a year and a subscription for the year costs £20 in the UK, or £25 in Europe, or £30 outside of Europe.

I have no links with the publishers of this magazine apart from the fact that I have been a subscriber since June 2000. I still have every issue I have received, and still find it useful to re-read articles in the earlier issues.

I could go on, but you can judge for yourself if you visit their web-site, where you can download a free sample copy of the magazine in Adobe Acrobat format.

Please do not be put off by the "small scale" feel of the website (remember this is not a major publishing house), and when you read the magazine do not be put off by the competition pages that take up the first 15 pages. Take the time to read it through and I hope you too will become a convert.

In my opinion the magazine succeeds because it allocates sufficient space to cover issues in depth. The following is extracted from the editorial in the issue you can download, and I think it illustrates the difference in approach.

[ QUOTE ]
This brings me to the second hobbyhorse: communication. Why do so many of the magazines and other media treat digital imaging enthusiasts as if they are teenage ‘texters’ with the concentration span of a goldfish and the intellectual capacity of a Sun-reader? Yes, the subject is exciting and relatively new, but it can still be communicated in plain English, in depth and at a less than breathless pace.

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who don't get the reference to the "Sun-reader. "The Sun" is a British tabloid newspaper more famous for the topless glamour model published every day on page 3, than for its coverage of news.

Anyway......take a look. I hope that some of you will find it as useful as I do.

Arem Publishing

P.S. There's nothing wrong with being a sun-reader either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ..... see what you are missing here....
The Sun Page 3 Gallery
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Driftwood Find More Posts by Driftwood

Re: Hey Al, have you seen this one?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thanks for the info Kevin.

Terry

[ QUOTE ]
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.

[/ QUOTE ]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 11-09-2005, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38526

Chucker is offline IP: 24.23.37.137

Hi Terry

Beautiful image you posted. My question is the window a portable set up? And does it have glass. It appears that you can change the look of it as shown is some of your other images.

Thanks

View Public Profile Send a private message to Chucker Visit Chucker's homepage! Find More Posts by Chucker

Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

Chucker,

It is portable and it has glass.Glad you liked the image.

Terry
[ QUOTE ]
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.210.25.203

Nope, I haven't seen that one. I browse a lot of newstands, but Lansing is still small potatoes for really serious newsstand browsing.

Thanks...

Maybe we can get someone in NYC or LA to comment occasionally on some of the more unique and esoteric publications on the really BIG newsstands. Hint, hint... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak