Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Latest trip to the newsstands... no lunches for another two weeks...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.74.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Since starting to look at the international fashion magazines, I've noticed a few cultural differences. Nothing major, just things that they do differently.

For instance, the international magazines tend to be somewhat larger and printed on heavier paper. A4 size I think they call it. It caused me fits for a while as I had this neat filing system and torn out pages from the European magazines wouldn't fit. I'm still looking for A4 notebooks and page protectors...

They also tend to put the main stories up front. Not in the first few pages, but a lot closer to the front than the USA versions. American magazines seem to work on the supermarket theory -- put the milk and bread at the back of the store so you have to walk by everything else to get to them.

They are not nearly as reluctant to show nudity as their American counterparts.

And finally, they are not at all hesitant to charge double, triple, or even higher multiples of the price of their USA counterparts per newsstand issue. Ouch...

I happened upon an Australian Harper's Bazaar (October). Since the seasons down under are the reverse of ours, they're showing swimsuits. Some very nice work by a photographer named Thiemo Sander. Another swimsuit feature has some interesting swimsuit shots done in Russia. Even has a sort of model's behind the scenes diary of a swimsuit shoot. Expensive magazine, but interesting.

I brought home the latest Zink. Frankly, since they haven't had any Antoine Verglas shoots recently, my enthusiasm is rapidly wanning. Zink may fall back to my "only browse at the newsstand" status shortly...

Arena, the men's lifestyle magazine, has a bonus magazine with nude images by Rankin. Very well done, and some beautiful ladies. But you'll have to take my word for it as they usually package their magazines and freebies in a sealed cardboard envelope. Definitely not browser friendly. But worth the price if you like Rankin.

It's seems to be the month for freebie add-on magazines. FHM has a sexy lingerie special with an additional lingerie freebie. Definitely worth the $5 for the pair. Victoria Silvstedt, Jenny McCarthy, and others in lingerie...

I think Maxim also had an additional magazine freebie. Frankly, I was running out of money, so I left that one on the newsstand for the time being.

Couple of European photography magazines worth a look this month.

Digital Photography User has a special edition on portraits. Lots of Photoshop work shown. Even an article on natural light portrait photography. Worth a browse.

Digital Photo which bills itself as Britain's best selling imaging magazine has articles on fine art nude projects, reviews of DVD slide show software and graphics tablets, and 54 freebie border effects on the accompanying CD. That plus the PhotoShop video lessons on the CD make this magazine worth a look. It's a bit pricy at $11.50, but the border effects may come in handy someday when you are stuck for a new look.

Well, the thunder and lightning are getting pretty close so I better get off here before the phone line takes a surge... Remind your newsstand dealer to unwrap at least one copy of each magazine for browsers. You can't tell a book by it's cover...

<center>

[b]Some older pictures of Gisele and Linda Ann.

Fine print: I get nothing from nobody for reviewing the newstand stuff. My tastes are mine, develop your own. Do not take on an empty stomach, call a doctor if a rash appears.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak