Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Beijing Goes (Garage) Glamour!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 65.2.65.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

<CENTER></CENTER>

I got an email about a year and a half ago from a book editor in The People's Republic, it was hard to figure out exactly what they wanted, but it was pretty clear that money was no object. Why you ask? Because like editors everywhere they had no money! But what the hey, when you get to share your work with 1,400,000,000 of your closest friends, why not? Anyway, the emails explaining everything strongly resembled an original text written in Mandarin and then translated into English using "Bablefish". But what it seemed to come down to is that they wanted swimsuit pictures to be published in book form. Then they narrowed that to "bikini pictures" and got upset when I forwarded a one piece shot (and a few "South Beach One Piece" swimsuit shots. "Which piece do you want? Top or bottom?") Then I got what seemed to be a series of questions to answer, as I recall they were about my business and how I got started. I think. I lost the original emails (it was over a year ago), but I did forward them to a friend who is looking for them. Finally I got a form asking for a release, then....nothing. Nada.

Soooooo, a year later imagine my surprise when I opened my mail box yesterday to find a package from...... China! Whoooweee! I'm now the internationally published official Miami Bikini Babe Photographer (although in fairness I'm am joined by fellow GG'ers, Mo Martinez and David Fish). The whole thing is a bit of a giggle, but it does speak to something I have been talking about for several years now. 2006 will be a big year for China as it begins opening the Middle Kingdom culturally to the West as part of China's preparations for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. That a country with such a strong social conservative streak (something fairly common among dictatorships) would allow, in fact promote, this symbol of Western decadence is telling about how far China is moving socially. Remember the editor was adamant about "bikini only" in their original requests to me, but they obviously saved some of those first pictures I sent them because that is mostly what they published of my work. Now you'd have to be brain dead not to want a picture of Betcee May in your "Bikini Book", even if she not only isn't wearing a bikini, she's actually not wearing anything at all! (Betcee defines the word Babe, bikini or not.)
<CENTER></CENTER>

Anyway, as I said this whole thing has been a bit of fun the last couple of days, but I would like to thank Angela Price (Houston), Betcee May (Las Vegas), Crystal Moyer (Jacksonville), Michelle Metcalf (Orlando), Molly Thiemann (Chicago), and Bessie Bardot (Sydney, Australia) for making me look like I know what I'm doing with a camera. (Take pictures of beautiful women and people will think you're a good photographer. That's my plan, and I'm sticking to it!)

By the way, if anyone knows how to read Chinese, I'd kind of like to know what they are saying about me in the book. I'm always curious about how they handled that whole "America's Most Wanted" thingie.

Red Fish

PS: If you haven't noticed, they used my official GG avatar in the book. So I guess this makes Dan Norton (who shot that picture of me) the Official Beijing Bikini Babe Photographer Photographer!
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
http://www.couturemiami.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: Beijing Goes (Garage) Glamour!
Old 11-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

YEAAAAAAAAAA Way to go John. Hope the future brings you just as much pleasure as this has.

DeAnn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Easy To Forget
Old 11-05-2005, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 70.114.246.117

Yea, it's easy to forget that other countries have access to
your website.
I've had news articles about me in Australia, New Zealand, and
Russia......
Verry interesting.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 11-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36140

BryanB is offline IP: 68.223.156.118

Congrats...

If you are still looking for someone to hold your reflectors one of these weekends let me know

Bryan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BryanB Visit BryanB's homepage! Find More Posts by BryanB

Old 11-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 205.188.117.8

How freakin' excellent, Fish! An amazing "tear" and tale about some beautiful images! Way to go!

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hicspix Visit hicspix's homepage! Find More Posts by hicspix

Bad joke ahead...
Old 11-06-2005, 12:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 72.23.103.176

Congrats on the overseas publication

here is the bad joke
SO , does that mean your avatar goes by "sushi"over there...

Sorry , it's late ,but I had to ask [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StanTom Find More Posts by StanTom

Old 11-06-2005, 01:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 207.200.116.195

Congratulations. Love the yellow bikini pic.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Well, it\'s like this...
Old 11-06-2005, 01:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.110.106

Well, it's like this. With China manufacturing just about everything coming into the US these days, it was inevitable they start picking up on all aspects of the American culture. I wonder what Victoria's Secret translates into in their pictographs, maybe OO? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

And then again, some things translate very easily...

Congratulations, they picked some winners to print.
<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 11-06-2005, 10:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

[ QUOTE ]
I'm now the internationally published official Miami Bikini Babe Photographer

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, infusing the ol' resume, eh?

Seriously - I always enjoy your posts. Never would have imagined that anyone could make South Beach, or the model/photographic industry in general, feel like Lake Woebegone, sorta.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 11-06-2005, 04:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45608
Comments: 3

Brad is offline IP: 70.119.153.110

Amazing photos!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brad Visit Brad's homepage! Find More Posts by Brad