Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Live from Philadelphia Part three....???
Old 10-31-2005, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.155.231.194

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, the International Glamour, Beauty & the Nude final Philadelphia workshop for 2005 is over. It was great! Great new people, three great new models as well as one our best regulars, Hillary. Thanks to everyone that showed up and thanks to all that helped and a special thanks to Mike Dean for letting us take over his studio down in Coatesville. A big thanks to Steve Ball from Olympus for helping out too and thanks Manny for letting me use your roses that you brought in today.

I've been working with Hillary now for over four years and when we can find time we like to create new images. Make-up of course is from one of the longtime GG admins, Elise Di'Amico, a great friend.

As most of you know, I came early and leave late tomorrow as I'm working on my newest books, magazine pieces, special projects, etc., and Hillary showed up early for the Thursday images and she also decided to stay late after the workshop today as I worked on some new material, so here's an image--yes, my work on some upcoming projects stray from glamour as I prepare my mind for my upcoming European editorial shoots, so this is not an image you typically are used to from me on this forum, though I've been shooting for over 27 years from photojournalism, editorial, glamour, etc., and this is not new for me, but I wanted to share this one from a special project.

Enjoy, let me know what this image conveys to you, or your likes or dislikes.

Thanks to all, and if you didn't make Philly, not to worry we have more in 2006 and we've already announced Chicago thanks to the fabulous Ralph Haseltine whose donated his studio once again--see you at the Virgin Islands Ralph!

For you techie photogs, camera is Olympus E-1, Olympus Zuiko 11-22 mm digital specific lens (22-44 effective focal length), white balance at 6000K, Lighting two Hensel Integra Pro's one outfitted with a Larson 48-inch Soff Strip w/40-degree grid with a Rosco 3411 gel inside (main light), the other Hensel monolight with a 7-inch reflector, 10-degree grid, Rosco 3/4 CTO and Rosco Cinefoil (light for roses), Lexar 2GB digital media card.

Again, thanks to all that helped, attended and thanks to all that believe, without you I'm just another byline. Thanks, rg sends!

View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Live from Philadelphia Part three....???
Old 10-31-2005, 12:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've been looking at this for a while now. I like the lighting and the color saturation, but something bothered me about the shot and I couldn't figure out what it was. Then it hit me: Her head looks separated from her body. It looks like she's removed her head from her neck and is getting ready to throw it on the pile of roses. If I could see the hint of her neck it would be better. Perhaps you can see her neck in the original, but I find the composition the way it is presented here a little disturbing. It says to me "I might as well throw this too."

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Interesting....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.155.231.194

Chip,

Interesting observation. I peronally like the "Rembrandt" light effect on the face and the overall mood of the image and play on deep shadows, hence the cause of what you seem to point out.

Thanks for your comments, again, interesting. Here's another, thanks, rg, sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Interesting....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36094
Send a message via AIM to mrjazz

mrjazz is offline IP: 70.240.11.34

Love the warmth of the image, I would like to meet you and maybe attend a workshop one-day once I get things back in order in my family.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mrjazz Visit mrjazz's homepage! Find More Posts by mrjazz

Old 10-31-2005, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
JAM
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35499

JAM is offline IP: 70.124.78.6

Hi Rolando,

I love the images you have done this weekend with Hillary. This image for me seems to convey a feeling of mixed emotions on her part. Hillary looks both sad as well as a woman who has maybe just been stood-up or jilted so to speak. I love the color and tonality of the image. I love the roughness of the location compared to the softness and beauty of the model. I didn't even see the issue of her neck until chip pointed it out. My mind's eye just saw it as a deep shadow area. Overall very nice shot.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JAM Visit JAM's homepage! Find More Posts by JAM

Old 10-31-2005, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
CarolineV79

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 64.12.116.203

Chip that's freaky! But, once you mentioned than I did notice it. Everything else about this image is awesome though.

Caroline

Old 10-31-2005, 01:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37553

WilliamScott is offline IP: 216.40.86.166

yeah, well what bothers me is the outfit she's wearing , could you post some with her out of it...HEEHEE

Good looking Model and nice setup....I loved both shots, but I think i liked the first one best, i love the pose....

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] will
  View Public Profile Send a private message to WilliamScott Find More Posts by WilliamScott

Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 65.199.146.162

Knowing the location I know it requires a lot of thought to get just the right shot there. Nice...

Re: Interesting....
Old 10-31-2005, 03:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

I agree with you, the mood and play of light are wonderful. I like the composition as well. I was wondering, this close to Halloween, if you had intended the "decapitated" look. There weren't any other visual cues in the image to suggest this though. I don't know if you could have used a small mirror or something to kick some light back underneath her chin, but I think if you could have opened up the shadows 1/2 stop on just her neck it would have been enough to suggest that it was there. Of course, it's a lot easier to identify "the problem" than to solve it. But that's why there are more critics than artists. The "decapitated" look would have been _way_ cool if there had been a "corpse-bride" kind of groove going on.

I like the additional pick for the same reasons I like the first.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35207

millerb is offline IP: 64.216.16.123

WOW, that is an excellent image Rolando, love the lighting and comp.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to millerb Visit millerb's homepage! Find More Posts by millerb