Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Portfolio Book Suggestions
Old 10-26-2005, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37651
Comments: 0

rdavis is offline IP: 69.15.164.92

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm looking to buy a 11 x 14 portfolio book for under $100. Do any of you have suggestions?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Re: Portfolio Book Suggestions
Old 10-26-2005, 10:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Pina Zangaroo
ADB Portfolio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Re: Portfolio Book Suggestions
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
ADB Portfolio

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you can stop pimping the sponsors now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'd looked at both of these and their 11x14 were out of my price range.

Who makes the portfolio you had at BOTB2?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rdavis Visit rdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by rdavis

Ron, Ron, Ron
Old 10-26-2005, 11:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 35735

RickHughes is offline IP: 216.27.161.22

The real question is why are you looking to do it on the cheap? Do it right. Save money on some other aspect of your photography and get a phenominal book. Print a little less for a while. Whatever. Don't skimp on your book. Save until you have it, but do it right.

This always kills me. :::::::beating head against wall:::::::

This is what people see! This is the impression you leave! :::wham wham:::

Your pictures are HALF the story. What and how you present IS EQUALLY IMPORTANT TO YOUR TALENT
  View Public Profile Visit RickHughes's homepage! Find More Posts by RickHughes

Re: Ron, Ron, Ron
Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

So you are saying having nothing is better than having something.

I'm not presenting this to clients at this point in my photography, but I want to have a book to take to photographer lunches and meetups. My alternative is to take my computer, which I could do, but it's a pain. Plus this lets me develop a book and play with what's in it and what reactions it gets.

I want it to be nice enough I can leave it on my coffee table at home.

At some point I'll want to present my work to modeling agencies and others. At that point I'll invest in more expensive book.

If I had over a hundred dollars to spend I'd buy better glass.

Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I am saying that I have seen your shots. You don't need better glass. You need a good book. That entire way of thinking is why so many good shooters never get anywhere. AAAAARGH!

Sigh. A temporary book is an excuse to put off getting what you really need and it slows getting a really good book down. "Well, I have a book that will do for now."

Just understand that you are showing it to potential clients everytime you show your book. As it sits on your coffee table....it is for potential clients to see.

Never mind.

:::whack wham slam:::

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
I am saying that I have seen your shots. You don't need better glass. You need a good book. That entire way of thinking is why so many good shooters never get anywhere. AAAAARGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

AAAAARGH!! Stop giving me encouragement. Its easier to assume I suck and don't have to try hard.

I'll think about it.

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Old 10-26-2005, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Don't go Yoda on me. Just get a good book. You don't want me to plug ADB...fine....go to Lost Luggage.

You are better than you let yourself think. I have no reason to say it if I didn't believe it.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I don't care if you plug ADB. That was an inside joke with Mike and me.

Old 10-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Dude,

You are so not inadequate. You're a good shooter. You're stuff is different, not worse. I really dig that shot you were showing around BOTB2 and was jealous that I didn't have something like that to show.

BTW, I really got tired of you bashing your skills at BOTB2. Ron, you're good. Rick said it, I said, So did Dave Mecey and Robert Sanders. So stop it!

Now, do I think you should skimp on your book? Hell no! But you can get a good frost type portfolio from Pina Zangaroo. The one I had at BOTB2 was that book with a different color leather binding.

ADB Portfolio makes some great books and they're good people. Just so happens that they are a BOTB2 sponsor. I used them before BOTB2. I have three 11x14 leather bound brushed aluminum books w/leather corners and leather business card pockets. I don't travel with those books, but I will if the client warrants it. They are much better books than my Pina Zangaroo.

BTW, did you look at ADB's basic books? You don't have to spend $200-$300 on an 11x14 book. God knows I bought that Pina Zangaroo for a lot less than that. However, I won't use anything that isn't screwpost bound.

Let's address one of the other byproducts of having a good solid book w/fewer pictures and more impact in a way that would directly affect you. You wanna book to take to meet and greets and luncheons? You said yourself, you could take your laptop and I'm sure lots of folks do. You could also take a three-ring binder photo album. I'm sure lots of folks do that too. If you package yourself like an amateur, people will see you like that. It doesn't matter how good your photography is.

So now you go to this meet and great with your cheap book (or laptop) and nobody wants to shoot w/you. But there's this one cat that has a nice book with a few solid images. You've seen his/her work before and know that you can shoot better than him/her with consistency. But all of the models are flocking to this cat with the pretty book? Why? Because he/she has packaged themselves for impact. He/she ends up shooting with all of the models at the meet and greet and you only book a few and half of those stand you up. Ever wonder why that is?

I'm not going to lie. I get stood up. But my no show rate is much less than it used to be, much less. Because they take me much more seriously. When I meet them in person, I show them that book I had at BOTB2. I shoot them. They tell their friends, who I also shoot. I post those images here and my 0MP. So now other models that have seen these people at the gym, bikini contests, etc. recognize people in my online portfolio. This gives me even more credibility, before the ever talk to me.

Ron, I'm a good photographer. I'm confident in what I can do. I'm no better than you, though. I just shot better than you did for the two days we were in Mexico.

Package yourself like you're serious and people will take you seriously. You'll get prettier girls/guys to shoot. You'll start making consistently better images because people who are also serious about their craft will want to shoot with you.

Take Rick's advice. Glass is nice, but if you want to take your photography to the next level, package yourself like you're at that level.

That's enough. Off my soapbox before folks start thinking I'm a cocky bastard again.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike