Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Something old, something new
Old 10-26-2005, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977
Comments: 0

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.27

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here's a shot from my last film shoot. I mean, the last shoot I'll probably do on film. Did this (original on left) last winter with Tiffany Selby, and licensed one shot to a long-time client, a Korean Tire company called Hankook (the ad agency did the conversion). She'll be doing some appearances for them around the country this year, including the SEMA show in Las Vegas next week. Since I shoot stock, and plan on being able to license images to clients I may not yet know about, my biggest concern when switching from film to digital was that I be able to blow up the images to poster size if necessary. I'm sure that any of the 12+mp cameras will do the job. I now have a Canon 5D, so perhaps next year (maybe sooner) I'll be able to confirm that theory.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: Something old, something new
Old 10-26-2005, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.91.212

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Andy,

Nice work as always. No more film? I haven't totally ruled it out, especially if Santa Claus brings me that hybrid dream camera, you know, the medium format type that does both film and digital. Never know when a client wants film over digi, besides, they both have their own unique characteristics.

I do have to agree, I shoot more digi than anything else right now. So now you're a Canon shooter? Let me know how that camera works for you and how the depth of field works on it too. Talk soon, take care, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Ah, the passing of an era. "Don't be the first to adopt new methods, but don't be the last, either."

It's beautiful, Andy. Thanks for sharing.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

When you are ready...
Old 10-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35455

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 71.136.250.156

to talk and walk great interpolation techniques and enhancements in optimization... you know who to call.

You da man!

R

View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders

Old 10-26-2005, 08:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37804

GreggV is offline IP: 68.0.29.134

Andy,
I don't know if you know of "The Digital Dog" Andrew Rodney but quite a few years ago he did a test for film verses digital files. I DO NOT want this to turn into a heated discussion that one is better than the other. Film has its place as does digital. Which are better, strobes or hot lights, both have their proper place. Anyway with his skills he was able to take an 18MB digital capture file and upsize it to over 100MB's in size. He then took the same image that was shot on film and scanned it with an optical resolution to get the same file size of over 100MB's. He has the images on his site along with the article. You can make your own determinations. The article can be found here
http://www.digitaldog.net/files/Filmvsdigital.pdf and the jpg image of the test can be found here http://www.digitaldog.net/files/FilmVsDigital.jpg

I find his free information very helpful. Like I said to start with, I think film still has a place and when a job calls for it, I use it. Hope this helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to GreggV Find More Posts by GreggV

Re: When you are ready...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

[ QUOTE ]
to talk and walk great interpolation techniques and enhancements in optimization... you know who to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

No [censored]. Call Robert.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Andy,

I've got a client that's going to the Sema Show. If you're there, look him up. He's master airbrush artist, Dennis Mathewson. She should have a blast. Dennis says it's lotsa fun.

BTW, I print 20x30 w/my 20D all the time.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

lemme guess....
Old 10-27-2005, 03:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Andrew Rodney?

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

yes, thank you
Old 10-27-2005, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I've heard him speak a few times, along with some of his cohorts like Jeff Schewe. Some of their talks can get real technical, and they do a three or four day traveling workshop on all this stuff for about $1000. I'm not usually the one doing post-production on my stuff, the clients usually handle that, but its always good to know when you need it, and I have done some manual rezing-up on a few occaisions. I usually do it 5% at a time and it looks fine. Most of the programs you buy that do this, do pretty much the same thing, just automatically and faster.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

Old 10-27-2005, 06:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 12.108.210.74

Andy I shot a bunch of 24 X 36 Photos recently for an engineering firm. 75 to be exact. If you have any enginers for frends you know how they can totally over analize everything they touch. I had no trouble producing the images with my 10 D and no trouble editing them to 24 by 36 in photo shop. I never had to reshoot or re do one image. they loved them. I really never expected the 10 D to perform that good but it did. The folks that reproduced the photos said they hadn't had any thing in their lab in a long time that was as sharp and had the color those prints had. Digital is here to stay. Would love to see how these new 11 meg cameras are doing. By the way all the images were shot as jpeg files. Not raw. I have been shooting raw for a while now and am able to get even better results with that.

web page

View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto