Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Models fee
Old 10-22-2005, 10:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Amateur

Member GG#: 46960
Comments: 0

Qikshots is offline IP: 4.152.240.167

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just to get an idea,what would be considered a fair fee for a "Beginner Photographer" to pay,per hour, a "Beginner",or an "Amatuer" model to pose semi-nude,or nude?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Qikshots Visit Qikshots's homepage! Find More Posts by Qikshots

Re: Models fee
Old 10-22-2005, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 207.200.116.195

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I've found that this depends on a few things.

How much experience the model has.

How many images the model is going to receive either as prints or CD

And who owns the copyright.

Lesser experienced, or new model, plus a 20-30 image CD, I'd offer about 50.00 an hour for full nudes. But the photographer would retain full copyright ownership.

Just my half cent.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Old 10-22-2005, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Amateur

Member GG#: 46960

Qikshots is offline IP: 4.152.210.115

Well that seems reasonable,currently my preffernce is to pay $30.00,per hour,with$5.00 per hour travel time (to and from where the shooting will be),bear in mind here that I am a "Biginner",and have very much to learn,and for money reasons,I try to use beginners,they are less likely to ask for a 401K,medical,and paid lunch breaks,what she gets ( AFTER I get a signed release) is a copy of all shots taken on a CD,her choice of either edited or not,with the restriction that these shots are copyrighted to me,and she may use them for any purpose except financial gain,and that I get some credit on the post.Of course I use a Model Release form.But working from 7am til 6pm 5 days aweek on my full time job dont allow enough time for this as of yet.I did contact one "Model" listed here on GG that is close to me,and she said she gets $100 and hour,with a 4 hour min.,for nude or semi-nude.
And yes I do understand people hesitateing to answer this post.But I will accept email about it
also,NEED some insight.
Joe Merritt
Chesa. Va.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Qikshots Visit Qikshots's homepage! Find More Posts by Qikshots

Old 10-22-2005, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43926

Chris_Winters is offline IP: 68.228.136.213

* in my opinion *

--if both are experimenting and obtaining experience, then perhaps those image should not be released. The both beginners could work together on a regular basis and agreement.

--the image can be released to the model in training along with the beginner photographer keeping the negs.

--pay should not be an option for either person. There would be -no- expectations, no arguements in the long run and whatnot. Just. both. parties. agreeing to work together for a common cause-- - training.

of course, when I FIRST started out in modeling, I didnt expect ANYTHING from anyone-- in fact, working with someone and getting experience was a priviledge to me. It just took others to direct.

Good luck with your future shoots. Listen and learn from others on this forum. Whether it be a cameraman, model, makeup artist or director, ALL insights have proven me knowledge worthy.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_Winters Visit Chris_Winters's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_Winters

Old 10-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

I don't think its a matter of fair fee. A model will charge what the model feels is fair for the work. If a model is in high demand, then they will charge more. You will also find beginning models who have seen the rates charged by some of the more experienced models and they think they should get that.

When I want to hire a model, I ask what their rates are, and then I make them an offer of what I'll pay, for how long, and what photos they will get from the session. Then we negotiate. If you can't come to terms within your budget, then you don't hire them. I have know a few models that have their rates too high and never get shoots (my basis for saying they don't get shoots, is that they show the same sample photos for years and never have any new ones). That always makes me wonder!

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

50 and hour with a 200 minimum for nude
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-22-2005, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43926

Chris_Winters is offline IP: 68.228.136.213

Great! When do I start?! heh
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Chris_Winters Visit Chris_Winters's homepage! Find More Posts by Chris_Winters

you have to remember
Old 10-22-2005, 06:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.27

Model fees are negotiable (with or without clothes). There is no law that says a nude model can only charge this or that amount, they charge what they want, and you pay it or you don't. OR you make an offer of what you're willing to pay, and they agree or they don't. How much is "fair" depends on several factors, which can mostly include (but not limited to), her experience, how in-demand she is, and your intended usage. If you're just starting out and need someone to test with do artsy B/W images, she would probably charge you less, than if you were shooting a full-blown adult-style layout in full color and hi-res. Of course a model who regularly shoots for adult magazines probably would not be willing to shoot your artsy B/Ws for almost-nothing, and you have no leverage to force her too - you can't point to a rate sheet in a book and insist she do it for that amount. There are some "industry standard" or "going" rates, but as I said, it usually depends on the usage. I have a non-GG friend who's always telling me that this or that model is asking an outrageous amount for shooting nudes for his adult website. I have to keep reminding him that its up to him to hire them or not, no one's holding a gun to his head, and if the model finds she's not working enough, or the rent's due tomorrow, perhaps she'll lower her fee for him, but it all starts with a negotiation. Just because you consider yourself a beginner doesn't entitle you to discounts on nudes models, like using a student ID at the movies. As someone suggested, if you're starting out, see if you can get a model for free, or a small fee, with the usage limited to your portfolio (maybe with an option to upgrade if you become famous later). When you get to the point where you see the potential for real sales, start paying real money.

Also, as we've discussed here before, there is generally no reason for her to have any part of the copyright. YOU are the photographer, the copyright belongs solely to you. You can license her to use them or sell them or whatever you agree to, but its always your copyright. Don't make the mistake of confusing copyright with model release or trading it as part of a compensation deal. You own the copyright, she's owns the rights to her likeness, for which she gives you a release to use her likeness (for whatever compensation), in the photos you own.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 10-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43481

James58 is offline IP: 140.32.18.3

In my area which is the greater Phoenix area a beginner model for semi nude and nude work gets around $45 an hour. My advice is before you do a shoot with the model have a meeting with her and see what she has to offer. Do a model interest sheet to see her limits and ask her to bring some lingerie, swim suites, dresses along for you to see what she looks like in them. Discuss at this meeting you will want to do semi-nude and nude work if she is willing to do that and ask her if you can do some test shots of her at this meeting. Make sure before you do the test shots that she fills out a model release form and agree with her that these shots are only to see how she works and follows direction and that she can have all the images. Make sure you have poses in mind for her to go into, she is a beginner and will look for you to direct her. I do not use these images for my portfolio. After you do your test shots determine what you think is a fair hourly rate and tell the model that the shoot you want to do with her will last for whatever time, say two hours or two and a half and that an hour and a half will be devoted to semi nude and nude photos (for example) Tell her for example that you will pay her $40 an hour for the nude portion and let her know that if the nude portion of the shoot is only an hour and a half you will give her two hours pay. This is for an inexperienced/beginner model, experienced ones that you have to do less work with of course will charge you more and already be able to tell you their rates.
My wife for instance when she does get paid for posing gets anywhere between $45 to 100 an hour clothed or nude, but she does have experience and training in posing and modeling, plus she has formal training in this also so she brings something to the shoot with her.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to James58 Visit James58's homepage! Find More Posts by James58

Old 10-22-2005, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43481

James58 is offline IP: 140.32.18.3

Awesome words of wisdom and if you really think about it time spent by the photographer and time spent by the model as well as receiving images is pay in itself. The experience and being in front of the camera or behind it is actually priceless, how can you determine a price for that? Refering to beginners!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to James58 Visit James58's homepage! Find More Posts by James58