Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I have a dilemma
Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45621
Comments: 0

brew is offline IP: 24.15.115.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK, here is the scenario. I have appx 600 sq ft. of space which is for "studio space" I am paying minimal rent. all the rent is for is to help out my friend who is the primary renter. this is an industrial area actually a cabinet shop. The landlord had told us that a seprate room in the rear of the building could be put up giving the illusion he would absorb 50% of the construction costs (it would be an improvement to the property). once we got into the space he then lets us know that all construction is to be in accordance with village code (no problem) and because of that he forsees a expensive project and can not bankroll 50% of the cost(problem).

I am not concerned about the legal issues there is nothing in writing and there is no lease.

my concern is that i have 600+ sq ft of space in a semi dusty enviornment free to do what i please. I do like the spot there are RR tracks out back there are viaducts a short walk away. there is a botanical flower place across the street. the building interior is white corrugated steel and it is less than 1 yr old nice fearures for me.

my options are build the studio but if my friends work slows he has to get out. which means im out as well. cant afford it on my own. option 2 work with what i have. the entire place is 2000 sq ft. with o/h door and a 10' x 12' bathroom

the cabinet operation generates dust but not piles and piles of it and the guy is pretty tidy. i was thinking of upgrading his dust collection system for him or halfing it with him to benefit me and then getting some office dividers to make my area semi private. he has no problem not showing up if i am planing a shoot he have already discussed that. most of my time will be in the evening or weekends.

How would you set it up ? storage i was thinking of building a small closet or a rubbermaid stand up thing. what about the dividers? i kind of want a comfortable area with maybe a couch and a small desk maybe, but i dont want to drag the stuff out every time, although i could deal with covering it.

I dont know if some of you will read this as a rant or what but i guess i am seeking approval from fellow GGers.

Models Please leave some input too tell me what would make this scenario more comfortable and professional.

Thanks Eric

View Public Profile Send a private message to brew Find More Posts by brew

Re: I have a dilemma
Old 10-18-2005, 07:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

unless you can seal off that part of the space I would not even try to setup a studio there. Even just a little dust will get all over everthing. I think your asking for trouble...But maybe what I picture is not what you are dealing with..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

I second that! I've worked in cabinet and general wooodworking shops with pretty decent dust supression equipment and dust still manages to get into everything. I wouldn't have my photo equipment in this environment for long.
Mark Harper
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 10-18-2005, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

thanks for the input.... yep the dust is also a concern of mine although it is a 1-2 man operation not high volume, originally i was to be in an enclosed room which would of been perfect but things change!! i was planning on taking down the strobes and bagging them and my camera and lenses would also be bagged but most likely they would go with me I hate being without it.

I really hate to pull out of the deal i think there would be hurt feelings because he would not of rented unless he could get someone else to soften the cost(he usuallyworks out of his house). but on the other hand it is not what i expected.

Ill post some pictures. after all they are worth a thousand words! be right back [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

here are some pics..... i was also thinking of a sliding curtain?? the first pic is looking at my area the third pic is looking from my area. I am kind of thinking about something movable so that i can open up the area if needed or just for diffrent perspectives. theese were taken after a late night it is not usually messy I have seen his old shop.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39259

markee is offline IP: 70.226.168.157

I have more woodworking equipment in my two car garage than that and just started using the garage for a studio. I tried using my basement but the 7' ceiling was just too low.

Anyway, It would be impossible to have you both working in this location at the same time. Not only because of the dust but also the noise level from the saw and planer.

If the area is well cleaned and after each use and some time has past to allow for the dust to settle I don't think you should have any problem sharing the space. Do not leave your lighting and camera gear setup while the woodshop is operating.

In my situation I am not running my power tools on a daily basis so the dust is not an issue but being in Wisconsin the cold can be bit of a problem in an uninsulated garage. I'm thinking those Dec and Jan studio shots may have to wait for warmer weather.

View Public Profile Send a private message to markee Find More Posts by markee

Old 10-19-2005, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

thanks Markee I do not forsee us being there at the same time so the noise wouldnt be an issue and i agree with you regarding cleaning.

Thank you