Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
got ahead of myself.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 67.114.220.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i feel like i would have benefited more from buying a canon 580ex and stroboframe then buying my alien bees strobe. i just had the urge to sell the alien bees stuff and buy an on camera flash basically because it seems like it'd be more universal in general. for events, band photo, and even portraits... i could prolly afford some accessories like a softbounce and stand... what do you think?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: got ahead of myself.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47140

RohanB is offline IP: 24.191.212.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

for events and stuff where you need a quick light source to fill your subject, the 580EX, yes. But if you can do a set up in say 10 min then the Bees... matched with a softbox, there is no question, strobe is the way to go...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RohanB Visit RohanB's homepage! Find More Posts by RohanB

Old 10-18-2005, 02:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
for events and stuff where you need a quick light source to fill your subject, the 580EX, yes. But if you can do a set up in say 10 min then the Bees... matched with a softbox, there is no question, strobe is the way to go...

[/ QUOTE ]

i guess my thoughts are pointing towards me learning more by using available light? also, i have been asked to shoot more quinceneras and weddings lately, also lots of band photography. On the money making end it seems like something portable on camera would be my best bet to get more cash in hand to later invest in the studio gear. Worry about the business end of it now then focus more on what i WANT to do which is studio work with models... does that make sense?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 10-18-2005, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

I am lost if you have the Alien Bees light then what are you going to do sell it and buy a 580EX? No comparison on the quality of light, for what you want to do. I understand you want to really do studio work, but see if you could maybe get an on camera flash maybe on ebay then. But I wouldnt get rid of a strobe, invaluable, cause what are you going to do when you do get a model into the studio? shoot her with your on camera flash and hope you get a softbounce? Think about it...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RohanB Visit RohanB's homepage! Find More Posts by RohanB

Old 10-18-2005, 03:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
I am lost if you have the Alien Bees light then what are you going to do sell it and buy a 580EX? No comparison on the quality of light, for what you want to do. I understand you want to really do studio work, but see if you could maybe get an on camera flash maybe on ebay then. But I wouldnt get rid of a strobe, invaluable, cause what are you going to do when you do get a model into the studio? shoot her with your on camera flash and hope you get a softbounce? Think about it...

[/ QUOTE ]

well model in the studio... means friends in my apartment against a white wall, and it happens VERY seldom. financially i can make this change then buy a complete alien bees kit in the near future instead of a single light using the money i'll make by taking on gigs requiring an on cam flash.

at least thats how im justifying it. but in the end im very aware that light quality isnt comparable at all.

Old 10-18-2005, 03:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

hey we all have to start somewhere, you think i never shot against a regular wall? LOL. the point is are you selling the one Alien to buy a 580? sounds like you already have your mind made up. But if shooting models is what you want to do, it is simple start putting yourself out there for TFP, TFCD and shoot models in your area. You can make money from building your portfolio and other models looking to pay will come and so on and so forth... I say keep the Alien, see if you can buy a used on cam flash aftermarket maybe. This is the damn 20D you are shooting with, so damn versatile you can use many sources of light and get a great pic, just that the on cam is harsh and dead on your subject... remember to white balance and you should be good...

Old 10-18-2005, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
hey we all have to start somewhere, you think i never shot against a regular wall? LOL. the point is are you selling the one Alien to buy a 580? sounds like you already have your mind made up. But if shooting models is what you want to do, it is simple start putting yourself out there for TFP, TFCD and shoot models in your area. You can make money from building your portfolio and other models looking to pay will come and so on and so forth... I say keep the Alien, see if you can buy a used on cam flash aftermarket maybe. This is the damn 20D you are shooting with, so damn versatile you can use many sources of light and get a great pic, just that the on cam is harsh and dead on your subject... remember to white balance and you should be good...

[/ QUOTE ]

how convenient that AS were talking I get a job making about $500 that will utilize my alien bee strobe... and fund my 580 EX haha. hopefully it comes through soon and this post will be null and void. thanks for the help i appreciate it, despite my stubborn approach leaning one way!

Old 10-18-2005, 03:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

it's kewl, you know how many times i made decisions like that, should i get this or that... Know the feeling oh too well, well happy you got the job that would fund it. Dont forget the TFP's and build that port, not necessarily meaning here but there are alot on the web for that, with tons of models...

Old 10-18-2005, 08:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36117

C_J_Samples is offline IP: 69.241.10.159

Have you considered any other option for a hot shoe flash? A friend has the 580 and also the Sunpak 383 and he likes the predicability of the sunpak over the Canon flash.

Chris
  View Public Profile Send a private message to C_J_Samples Visit C_J_Samples's homepage! Find More Posts by C_J_Samples

Old 10-18-2005, 08:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 67.100.161.234

A *good* on-camera flash is probably more important for general photography than a strobe or two. If *all* you were going to do was studio, then the strobes would be the way to go, probably.

However, a good on-camera flash, which can be pivoted so you can bounce it, can be used for studio photography to produce respectable results.

Put it to you this way: There are times when *nothing* but an on-camera flash will help. There are no times when an on-camera flash can't be useful for *something.* My strobes cost way more than my on-camera flash but I'd give them up before I'd give up my flash.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc