Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Second post...You guys ate me up on my first...LOL
Old 10-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44827
Comments: 0

Scott_T is offline IP: 199.224.105.202

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So I ditch the flash web pages for pics and uploaded some 'normal' pics.

I KNOW my lighting is getting closer, but still is a bit off. I have to figure out the flashmeter....

Anyhow constructive comments greatly appreciated. Actually as many comments you can give me would help. I'm really trying to get over the hump and improve.

Attempt at high key....

Regards,
Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott_T Find More Posts by Scott_T

A couple a things ...
Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.97.83

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Didn't see the post in which they ate you up, but the forum has certainly been known to eat its young on many occasions. When the sharks get the scent of blood, everyone is in danger.

As for your lighting, you are right it's close but there are a couple of problems. First, I think the model is too close to the background, causing her to get some 'blowback'along her edges from apparently strong light on the background which cause a sort of 'feathering' along the edges. Solution, move her a few feet farther from the background or use gobos or flags to stop the light from bouncing back onto her. Second, add a reflector or a weaker light to lighten up her face a bit, it needs a little fill.

Off the subject a bit, the shot you posted just isn't "high key". High key is a rather specific lighting set up, in which there are no more than 10 to 20% normal or dark tones and all ther rest are light to white tones. Purists go so far as to say brunettes or women with tan skin can't be done in high key because of there naturally darker tones. The shot you posted has a white background, but all of the tones in the subject are dark. Nothing at all wrong with your treatmen, other than what I mentioned above, it just isn't high key.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: Second post...You guys ate me up on my first...LOL
Old 10-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Sorry if you got chewed up last time. Stay humble and that won't happen too often, usually. Normally the dogs only come out when somebody's ego gets out of control.

Anyway, I'll add a couple things to what Doug said. I see two things, first your exposure is at least a stop under. That, and you've probably got too much light on the background, since it's mostly blown as is. Opinions and techniques vary, but I usually go about a stop over on the background. Too much light on the backdrop and it'll start to splash back on the model, like you've got here. Control the light on the backdrop and keep the model away from it, you won't have these problems.

Keep working at it. Rome wasn't build in a day.

View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

Old 10-17-2005, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

Yes the lighting is part of the problem. You've got lots of bounce back as already stated and the contrast and color balance are also off.
Flashmeters are not always accurate until you calibrate them to your style and camera.

One thing you can try is to have the model hold a gray card, and then shoot it full frame with your light setup. Then look at the camera's histogram. You have the proper exposure for the model when you get one spike in the middle. This works for average to light skin tones. Adjust up or down for high or low key. Keep the background about 2/3rd's of a stop over the main light.

Watch out of the too sharp quality of most digital. You need to use softer light (bigger main light source) and then some post processing to smooth the skin.

Here is a sample lighting diagram for typical high key:

Note the two background lights are blocked from spilling onto the model by the reflectors/bookends you can see.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44827

Scott_T is offline IP: 199.224.105.202

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Man is it tough getting it right. I'm getting closer and maybe a white background is a bit tougher......

Doug...Thanks for the tips. I am not sure I have room to move the model further from the background, but I WILL ive it a try....Also thanks for the definition of 'high key' It is very welcome and appreciated.

Larry....Again I appreciate the feedback and help. I think I'll get closer when I figure out this sekonic 358...Another learning curve to get past.....

R_Fredrick....Thanks for the shot of the setup. Controlling the spill makes sense now that I am seeing it.

All of you posted some smoking pics that are EXACTLY what I am trying to create. I'll be studying each of your portfolios.

Again, Thanks.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Scott_T Find More Posts by Scott_T