Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
definitions........Industry standards
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.250.252

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have searched and searched to find them. You can find lots of technical stuff in regards to photography.

Industry standards

what are they?

where can they be found?

Should't people just say my standards.....and publish them??

so the whole world knows?

ass u me

Ok...I'm going down the road now!!
see all in about a month [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Re: definitions........Industry standards
Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42373
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to jackell

jackell is offline IP: 65.15.168.67

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

are you talking about things like standards for submission or like setting up a business to do portraits and things where you're selling prints in standards sizes?

View Public Profile Send a private message to jackell Visit jackell's homepage! Find More Posts by jackell

Hmmm, no you probably won\'t find them listed anyplace
Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.245.100.110

Industry standards or practices are the business is done between pros in related fields. In every area of professional photography, certain daily practices are the general rules, thee are essentially practices and standards which are expected in the industry. I'm not aware of any official list and it would probably be impossible to so. For example, when a commercial or fashion shooter does tests for a model or an agency, certain things are expected by everyone involved. A certain level of quality of expected. That commercial/fashion photographer will do the test free or at a significantely reduced cost to the model. That in a test (different from TFP) there is usualy no paperwork, such as releases. It is expected the model and/or agency and photogrpher can can use them in marketing, but not to directly generate income. Another 'industry standard is that everyone involved will appear at a shoot on time and ready to work. An industry 'given' is that working models will no deal directly with agency clients and that neither the model nor a photographer will try to cut out the agency. Another is that a model will not make a major change in her appearance without discussing it with her booker. Another is that a verbal agreement made on the phone is as binding as a written, signed and notarized contract. Another is that while any and all photographers can have an off day, a certain level of performnce and quality is expected.

For example, I just made a large (and lucrative) sale of digital images via phone and email to a hotel in Germany, through a decorator/art curator, to hang prints on the walls of a new hotel's spa in Wiesbaden. There were no contracts involved, just a couple of phone call and emails. Of course, before the agreement was made, I made certain the guy on the other end was real and a pro. He order 25 digital images which he would print and have hung in the hotel. He trusted me to provide the quality he needed for his client and a quality which would allow him to please his client and he expected me to provide them before his deadline. He expected me to stand behind the images and if a problem arose to fix it. I expected prompt payment from him, within a reasonable period of time. Essentially it was a pro in one industry dealing with a pro in another industry, with each of us understanding the 'industry standards' involved. Both of us considered the verbal agrement we made to be binding and everything worked out beautifully. He was a little slower in paying than I had hoped, but within our time frame.

Industry standards are what we expect from each other. Personal standards are what I expect from myself.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Re: Hmmm, no you probably won\'t find them listed anyplace
Old 10-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Well you answer is about what I expected. good general busines is a good standard to use when doing anything.
The way that statement has been tossed around, I was wondering if I had missed something.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Old 10-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

No! Actually got all that when I was in school.
Doug's answer is what I was hoping to get. I just felt I may have missed something along the way.
Common sense seems to prevail when you talk with the right people and I really wanted to hear that. There is a large hand full of people in Garage Glamour that has it together and a larger bucket full of people that doesn't.

Your reply was way in the back corner of my mind, but as I said that was all covered in school, as was good business practices which I routinely practiced in my Landscaping business.(Lawn-Pro)

Thanks

Old 10-13-2005, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42373
Send a message via Yahoo to jackell

jackell is offline IP: 65.15.168.67

I just wasn't really clear on what you were asking. probably hadn't slept enough before reading it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jackell Visit jackell's homepage! Find More Posts by jackell