Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Evolution
Old 10-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35803
Comments: 0

photoknight is offline IP: 69.200.83.120

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey all...been a while. I thought I'd share a new fine art project of mine called, "Evolution". I plan to have this series, plus 5 to 10 more images in my first gallery show on the 22nd.

The first image represents mankind in the beginning and the last represents where I believe we have come to. My artist statement below is fairly serious, but it's meant to ask the viewer questions and to take a step back and think. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

My rough draft artist's statement below:

Evolution:
An exploration into the primal nature of man and woman.

Throughout the centuries of recorded and unrecorded history, man has supposedly ‘evolved’ into a more civilized being.

Just looking at the the 20th century until today, man’s true primal nature becomes evident. These are just a few of the major conflicts resulting in large scale loss of life for Man’s desire to conquest and conquer one another in the last 100 years:

WWI
WWII
Korean war
Vietnam War
(current) Iraq War

20th Century and beyond examples of Mankind’s “steps� toward Evolving:

Racism
Genocide
Nuclear Proliferation
Environmental Destruction
Species Extinction
Religious Fanaticism(bombings in the name of a higher power)

This series represents what I feel Man(mankind) has evolved to. Man has evolved into a conquering, killing, destructive force on itself and the world Man lives in. Instead of ‘Evolving’ to a higher being, Man has only gotten better over the centuries at what it does best, selfishly and destructively serve it’s own interests at any cost.

James Weber
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoknight Visit photoknight's homepage! Find More Posts by photoknight

Re: Evolution
Old 10-09-2005, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

hey james! really cool and unusual imagery! glad to see you back. great job of nudging and capturing so much raw emotion from your model. and your commentary, well.... you're singing from the same hymn book i so often croon from.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Speechless! absolutely Speechless!!

Don.

Old 10-09-2005, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40073
Comments: 1
My Mood:

MrPhotoStudios is offline IP: 70.149.133.114

I like this!

Great job!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MrPhotoStudios Visit MrPhotoStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by MrPhotoStudios

Old 10-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37094

AKDoug is offline IP: 65.74.127.189

I don't usually respond to posts, because I don't have a glamour portfolio; therefore I don't post images with my words. I suspect you will react as most others do when I reply...that is ignore it, or berate me for not posting an image. However I do have one comment. I'm not sure that evolution is the perfect title for your series.

You refer to wars, conflicts, racism, religious fanaticism, etc. But these are not products of evolution, but rather "civilization" or "humanity".

Evolution refers to the physical advancement of an organism. Single cell to muti-cell; aquatic to terrestrial, that kind of thing. From an evolutionary perspective, we (Humans, Homo Sapien) are not much more evolved than our predecessors Cro-Magnon or even the Neandertal. But we are more civilized and technologically advanced.

Wars, conflict, genocide, racism, etc., are all products of the "civilization" of humans. And this "civilization" is imperfect and incomplete. The extinction of species IS a product of evolution...always has been, always will be.

But semantics be damned the images are compelling and thought provoking (as evidenced by the fact that I felt compelled to reply). Great work!

Just my opinion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'll shut up now and go back to my proper place as a lurker.

Thanks,
Doug
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AKDoug Find More Posts by AKDoug

Old 10-09-2005, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41572

DBA1 is offline IP: 67.23.136.139

All I can say is.... This rocks dude! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Rick.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by DBA1

Old 10-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Two things, James -

(1) You're going to need to add an equally sized section on "Intelligent Design."

(2) You think man has gotten better at killing? Seriously? And yet we have nearly 6 billion on the planet now? We have our moments, but on the whole I would say today we're killing more from stupidity than from intent.

As for the photo series - nice work, but if you hadn't titled it, I wouldn't have associated it with Evolution.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Old 10-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39658

FotoTejas is offline IP: 209.189.242.36

First, I really like the photos. Very, very nice work.

With that being said, my opinion regarding the concept and $12 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but I've always felt that -- if you feel you must explain the concept and the imagery -- you've missed the concept.

Absent the explanation, I would have had no clue what you were aiming for. Even with the explanation, the images still don't say "Evolution" to me.

Nonetheless, again, very nice images.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FotoTejas Visit FotoTejas's homepage! Find More Posts by FotoTejas

Old 10-10-2005, 02:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

Very cool stuff!

View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Oh, yeah, comments
Old 10-10-2005, 02:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

Man has always tried to kill and conquer each other, the tools have just improved to be able to take out more at a time. Could you imagine if Rome had the technology we have now? We've become more civilized in that we exercise restraint. Could you imagine an Emperor like Alexander the Great, or even someone like "Count Dracula" (he did exist...not as a "vampire" though) with the power of the US or even the British military?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle