Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Are Supershoots worth it?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46711
Comments: 0

DavinciP is offline IP: 68.1.32.87

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have a chance to attend an upcoming supershoot in my area. I am new to glamour and think a weekend learning experience would greatly help me. Ho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]wever, I am curious to see if anyone here has attended a supershoot and if its worth the money? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavinciP Find More Posts by DavinciP

Re: Are Supershoots worth it?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35606

Jerry_Avenaim is offline IP: 69.234.123.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mark,

If you walk away from ANY workshop or lecture and take away even ONE thing you didn't know before, it's worth it!

<center> </center>

Have fun!

Jerry Avenaim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jerry_Avenaim Visit Jerry_Avenaim's homepage! Find More Posts by Jerry_Avenaim

Old 10-08-2005, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.64.13.29

Mark,
I'd go for it if I were you. I've been to several workshops and the experience has helped me alot. You learn not only from the person putting on the workshop, but also from the attendies. You will meet people of all skill levels at most workshops ,Pick thier brain and you can learn lots. I've found that the models are a much higher calibre then I find in my area and working with them also teaches me alot about posing.
Mark Harper

A workshop photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 10-08-2005, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41021

PhotoDave is offline IP: 68.5.109.137

Yea, I've attended a JT's Supershoots and enjoyed it. I can also recommend Photo Intensive (run by Robert Sanders).
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by PhotoDave

Old 10-09-2005, 03:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 70.124.54.38

GO GO GO GO You will be overwhelmed with the information you will receive.

Terry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397

Old 10-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36702
Comments: 4
Send a message via AIM to dustylenscap

dustylenscap is offline IP: 68.1.29.217

Mark, look at it this way, it is in your local area so....no transportation and lodging costs. Save a bunch that way. JT's events are geared to learning, like Jerry stated if you only walk away with one thing it is worth it. I'm attending as well as a couple of other local shooters, so...lets hope we see you there.

Dusty

View Public Profile Send a private message to dustylenscap Visit dustylenscap's homepage! Find More Posts by dustylenscap

Old 10-09-2005, 08:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

JT and his team always do a great job. The key is that you go ready to absorb information and to network with the other photographers and the models.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 10-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
CarolineV79

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 205.188.117.8

I've attended 2 supershoots as a model. I've talked to a ton of photographers who also attended and have NEVER EVER heard one bad thing. They all rave about the fantastic learning experience J T provides.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.122

[ QUOTE ]
I have a chance to attend an upcoming supershoot in my area. I am new to glamour and think a weekend learning experience would greatly help me. Ho [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]wever, I am curious to see if anyone here has attended a supershoot and if its worth the money? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Mark,...it's kind of hard to tell...your portfolio is empty,...and you don't have a link to a website..

For me,...I doubt if I would ever pay to go to one of those, being that they are several hundred dollars,.....I have to think,...what would I learn?

I understand that many of those are attended by people who lack basic knowledge of the fundamentals of photography,..who are picking up a LOT of good info, and by watching people who do know a thing or two about their lighting, working with models,..etc,...they walk away with their dollars worth.

I think that the only way I'd ever go to one would be if I was invited as a mentor or something like that.. I just enjoy helping others.. I don't think I could learn much,...or really need to work with any of the models..

What cracks me up,...is when I see several 0MP profiles with the same model, the same setting, the same pose (for the most part)....that I just know were taken at some workshop,...and they all try to pretend that this was entirely their gig.. LOL!

I have never attended a workshop.....I have nothing against them,....for I think they can help out those who can gain something from them....however,....there is a certain point to which they are not necessarly helpful any longer.. I think I've reached that point..(humbly speaking)..

JP

Personally Speaking..........
Old 10-09-2005, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35262

dKstudio is offline IP: 24.111.148.203

I believe that if you go to a workshop open mind wanting to learn then you will.

I would hate to think that - even after all of these years as a professional photographer - I do not try to learn something new every day. As a mentor and an instructor I can honestly say that there has not been a workshop where I myself did not come away with a new look on a way to do things and a renewed vigor what I do daily. That knowledge comes not only from the other instructors and mentors but from the students as well.

I would hate to think that my plate is full and there is nothing left for me to learn. How sad it would be to think I "knew it all" - even worse to think that I might take that proclaim that attitude as a mentor!!! I am as a much a student of the profession as I am a teacher.

I would suggest whether it is Supershoots or one of the many other workshops being offered .... if you are wanting to take your photography to the next level ... sign up and come with an empty plate and fill it with knowledge!!!!!!
best regards.....dK
There is always a "canvas awaiting a creation!"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dKstudio Visit dKstudio's homepage! Find More Posts by dKstudio