Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
a TOUGH decision at hand
Old 10-07-2005, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 67.114.220.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i interviewed this morning for a photographer here in Sacramento to be an assistant/staff emmber of his studio. It would also include shooting weddings with/for him. main duties would be post production and taking care of the business.

during our 30 minute interview i got to say maybe 15 words. he talked the entire time about himself including how he is sort of rude from time to time and even included stories. basically, guy was a ****. but in the end he was pleased with my book and made it sound very promising.

i was warned by other people in the area that he treats his assistants bad. during our interview he said hes gone as far as dangling a piece of paper in front of someone yelling at them for no comma between sacramento and CA...

i guess the end question is do i try working for someone who is basically a **** and treats his assistants like crap? im an independent person and would HATE it... but i know i'd learn from him. honestly after the interview i'm more inspired to be his competition (hes really the only fashion type photog in the area with a name)

View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: a TOUGH decision at hand
Old 10-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.141.93.22

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I don't think you should work for him then. Go be his competition. If you have a better outlook and treat you clients better, your name will get more notice then his in time. Word of mouth is the best way for people to hear about you, let them here you have worked for that guy, they might not to want to work with you in the future, thinking you are like that guy. Let them hear you a great photographer they'll work with you :-)
-Brooklyn

Old 10-07-2005, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38250

CharlesDias is offline IP: 201.8.129.133

It's very interesting how some photographers try to use this kind of awful behavior as a way to look better than they really are ... poor ones.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CharlesDias Find More Posts by CharlesDias

Old 10-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

If I were in your shoes I would not waist my time with him.. If you can't be happy you will not learn anything..And it seems you would be stressed working for a person like that.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
If I were in your shoes I would not waist my time with him.. If you can't be happy you will not learn anything..And it seems you would be stressed working for a person like that.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

SO true, stress factor would sky rocket and thats generally my downfall. thanks for wording it like that it really cleared that up!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 10-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
It's very interesting how some photographers try to use this kind of awful behavior as a way to look better than they really are ... poor ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya know, i think hes pretty good but ya it was COMPLETE cockiness

Old 10-07-2005, 09:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you should work for him then. Go be his competition. If you have a better outlook and treat you clients better, your name will get more notice then his in time. Word of mouth is the best way for people to hear about you, let them here you have worked for that guy, they might not to want to work with you in the future, thinking you are like that guy. Let them hear you a great photographer they'll work with you :-)
-Brooklyn

[/ QUOTE ]

i was thinking that, dont want my name tainted with his, or him spreading word that im HIS pupil, and i owe him everything i know (he mentioned such things about others during our 'interview') i think im gonna pass... now the question is, do i tell him why??

Old 10-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.141.93.22

You could, tell him you prefer to work with someone with a better work ethic or someone with your outlook on things, Or simply tell him thanks but no thanks. You don't need to give him a reason why.
-Brooklyn

i\'ll be the class ****head
Old 10-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 68.54.144.163

take the job.

suck it up.

learn how to deal with difficult people.

be so damn professional that he has no choice but to treat you right.

take his money. you are looking for a JOB, right?

Sometimes its better to suck it in and make the most of a difficult job, then blow it off. You didn't work for him a single day and you are already judging him. This could turn out to be the best opportunity you ever get. Don't be a wuss and go the easy route.

Suck it up and be a good employee, you'll be a better person for it in the long run. Nothing worth accomplising is easy to do.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Re: i\'ll be the class ****head
Old 10-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
take the job.

suck it up.

learn how to deal with difficult people.

be so damn professional that he has no choice but to treat you right.

take his money. you are looking for a JOB, right?

Sometimes its better to suck it in and make the most of a difficult job, then blow it off. You didn't work for him a single day and you are already judging him. This could turn out to be the best opportunity you ever get. Don't be a wuss and go the easy route.

Suck it up and be a good employee, you'll be a better person for it in the long run. Nothing worth accomplising is easy to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

i completely understand this stand point and that was my intial thought. but its hard to describe this guy in just a short post. and the thing is NO im not looking for a job at all, i assist two photogs already, work as a photog shooting sports and events, make money on my own freelancing, fulltime school, AND i work fulltime graveyard shift which lets me have free rent AND a paycheck. my income is MORE than satisfied so all it would be is to learn. and add stress.

i know hard work is a given, but read all the [censored] i already do, i work VERY hard.