Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New York Institute of Photography: is it really good???
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44937
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to Joseph1

Joseph1 is offline IP: 205.241.36.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone,
sorry but again im posting to ask about if the New youk institute of photography is good. I would like to enroll because i think that the diploma they offer can be a good oportunity to find some jobs in photography. Do you think this institute is worth??and its diploma?
It webpage is ... www.nyip.com.

please reply.

Joseph Art
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Re: New York Institute of Photography: is it really good???
Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36809

hybridlobo is offline IP: 68.45.30.176

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am currently enrolled and have only done unit 1, I like it. Like most things I think that you will get out of it what you put into it. I haven't looked at the modeling or fashion book yet. Its very film driven, I do not believe that they are up to date with the digital world at all.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hybridlobo Find More Posts by hybridlobo

Old 10-04-2005, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.128.248.170

I don't know much about the NY Institute of Photography, but if you are looking for a great photography school that is up to date on not just film, but digital as well, try Rochester Institute of Technology in Rochester, NY. I have heard all good and nothing bad about it.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 10-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

The only thing bad about RIT is January, February, and March. The 12' drifts aren't so bad, but you know you're in for a long walk to class when you look out your window and the snow is blowing SIDEWAYS!! Also, there's this funny little yellow-ish orange ball that appears in the sky between about 11AM and 2PM during those months. At other times it stays hidden behind clouds. If it ever fully reveals itself, get yourself to church and start praying. With enough prayer (or animal sacrifice) it will go away and you can resume your dreary, grey-skied day.

I do have many better memories that involve Sinar view cameras, multiple power-packs, spacious studios, and ample darkroom time; not to mention sneak peaks at imaging technology that the general public doesn't get to see for 12-24 months.

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 10-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.128.248.170

So true Chip, so true.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink

Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35281
My Mood:

Mitch is offline IP: 67.116.107.201

Hi Joseph,

I bought into the course years ago. I think I got to about unit 4 or 5 before I stopped doing it. In my opinion, it is great if you are just starting out, don't know what an f-stop is, and you are looking for a lot of basic knowledge. You can get critiques that are a little more extensive than they are here on GG. If you are a bit more advanced than that, you would be better off spending your money on some of the workshops and seminars offered by the fine folks here on GG. I've been to a couple of them and learned quite a bit, but this latest one given by Robert Sanders and Marc Grant was fantastic! True, its not as convenient as going to your mailbox, but they are so much more current that its well worth the time and effort if you truly want to improve and learn.

Best of luck to you!

The amazing Jacki Morrison

Make-up by Chelsey Pickthorn

Mitch

View Public Profile Send a private message to Mitch Visit Mitch's homepage! Find More Posts by Mitch

Cost for New York Institute of Photography?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.81.125.45

I've been to their website but there's no mention of cost.
Richard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RHWeiner Visit RHWeiner's homepage! Find More Posts by RHWeiner

Old 10-04-2005, 09:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
randyman

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 70.177.219.20

I did it years ago.....it's good for nuts and bolts info...if you're fairly new...it's actually quite informative. I'm not sure how "digital" they are now.
:-)
Randy

Old 10-05-2005, 12:50 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37617

joey61 is offline IP: 24.30.168.128

Mitch, have to comment on this photo of Jacki. Stunning! Any more? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to joey61 Visit joey61's homepage! Find More Posts by joey61

come to the other coast...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37178

ChristopherKern is offline IP: 67.180.174.62

RIT and NYIP are great schools. Very technically driven as well as Brooks here in Santa Barbara California. Although in my opinion and after researching all of these schools - Academy of Art University (San Francisco, CA) has probably the strongest photography program in the nation. Maybe I am biased but I have a reason to.

The instructors at this school are all working photographers, shooting for major advertisers, magazines, etc. Beyond the teaching staff - the school is geared very much around developing each and every student photographer at the school and helping them build their own personal style. The school has it's core classes but is very flexiable in the subject matter. Very conceptual and concept driven.

Sure we all have photographed an apple with 4x5 or a box of cereal. But, they really allow you to shoot what you desire and help you find your passion in photography. Technology - no contest. The digital darkrooms are ahead of the curve, adobe or mac offers new products - they are barely on the shelve for a day before the school has them installed on their computers. Digital prints from wallets to murals. And of course their is still the traditional film users. 35, 120, 220, 4x5, 8x10 you name it - also alternative processes (historial). Everything shy of a drum scanner - just barely.

Digital shooting - the school is backed by Canon and up to date with the newest digital gear. Just the facts...

And my 2 cents... I have an undergraduate degree in photography and have assisted fashion, wedding, and advertising photographers for the past several years. Sure all of that was great for technical and fundamentals. But, Academy of Art is really about refining what you know and expanding upon it conceptually - and nurturing your individual style and vision. Good luck in your choices - but I would be sure to check out Academy of Art and at least give it a once over on your list of choices.

Academy of Art University - San Francisco, CA
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChristopherKern Visit ChristopherKern's homepage! Find More Posts by ChristopherKern