Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
my $0.02 for what it\'s worth
Old 10-02-2005, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 65.0.248.72

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have been a member for two years. I became a life member this year due to all the good things I see in here. Some of the photographers give great advice, Fred Smith, Don, Jimmy to name just a few. There are more. As I understand how this is supposed to work we have a main forum for general stuff we can post for advice, evaluation (when asked for) and general information flow. We have a forum FOR Evaluations. Let em rip that's what we put em there for. We have a technical forum great information flows and flows in there.
And we have this great monthly contest.

Why do we evaluate in the contest photo's??
Why are evaluations given freely when not even asked for in the main forum.
Wouldn't those kind of comments if you feel so strongly to evaluate be more appropriate in a private message?
Evaluations in the contest.. ok she doesn't look comfortable, her hair is too frizzy, oh she has implants, sorry! This is just cattiness. High school stuff. Tell her how great she looks then vote 1, kinda contradictory don't ya think?
Where are the moderators????????????
I for one when I read this from a model will not get more than a 1 vote from me, take a look girls it counts 3 times. A 10 could be 30 votes for ya.
For the photographers that just want to be cruel when the fancy hits their whim in an unsolicited evaluation, I just don't give it any credibility.
For the unsolicited evaluations that points out specific errors and then offer solutions, that's worth more than all the money I blew in photography school.
If your in for general slammin, and I just ruffled your feathers, I'm not sorry.
If I just ruffled your feathers and you have given me good advice, I am sorry, and I bow down to your greatness. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Re: my $0.02 for what it\'s worth
Old 10-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

as far as your concerns about evaluating a model's images in the contest, here's my nickel's worth. (i'm a big spender so i'll give ya more than two cents.)

when i cast my vote, i rarely leave a comment. but i do, in my head, evaluate both the model *and* the image. if i think the image is weak but the model might be strong, i'll take the time to look at her port and see if anything there might cause me to give her better marks. but right off the bat, i'm not inclined to do so cuz she chose such a weak image to use as her submission to a modeling contest.

IMO, being an eye-candy model goes beyond just being hot eye-candy. the model needs to have some skills at evaluating her own images. and she needs to learn how to choose images for submission (to things like modeling contests, agencies, whatever) that shows her off best. if a model is serious about modeling--even if she's serious in simply a part-time, amateur sort of way--and she doesn't have any great images she'd better figure out how to go out an get some or she's probly not going to do very well in things like modeling contests or any other modeling endeavors. and the best way to figure out how good or bad one's images are--from a model's perspective--is to get feedback. and that feedback isn't always going to be positive. but how else will she eventually be able to figure out how to separate the good images from the not-so good?

there's also a model, for instance, who enters the contest each month who has a great body and great images but every image of her comletely hides her face. what's with that? okay, maybe she wants some sort of annonymity. that's cool. but if i'm going to rate her as a model, i don't think i can do so without seeing her face, in spite of how good the rest of her looks.

okay. that's my nickel's worth on this subject.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

P.S.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

altho my previous post refers specifically to female models, the same goes for guys.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 10-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 38751
Comments: 0

AliciaRachel is offline IP: 69.154.52.224

[ QUOTE ]
Evaluations in the contest.. ok she doesn't look comfortable, her hair is too frizzy, oh she has implants, sorry! This is just cattiness. High school stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this issue as been beaten to death. Ever since a comment area has been added to the model contest, the issue of crudeness has come up somewhere on the boards. And the best part is, usually the crude critiquers hasn't got the port to back it up. Mental trash can is where it goes for me, focus on the positive and helpfull comments.

Alicia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AliciaRachel Visit AliciaRachel's homepage! Find More Posts by AliciaRachel

Old 10-02-2005, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

good point, alicia. that's the part i didn't cover in my response: a model also needs to learn to discrimate when it comes to the comments, i.e., she needs to be able to evaluate the evaluators.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Yes and ditto what you said, but in good taste they should keep it to themselves!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Old 10-02-2005, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Many good words! I hope you didn't take it as you I was referring too. I specifically called your name out. because your words of wisdom are worth gold in my book.

I was more or less calling for some civility.

Sometimes a private message would be more in order. If they can't cut it they will eventually just fade away. Even a stupid animal if kicked enough times will go away. Public flogging went out in the late 1800's ect. ect. ect.

My dad was old school and very strict, got my tail kicked many times before I turned 20, but NEVER a public display of humility. I learned from him. And still respect his teaching 20 years after his passing.

$0.02 more

Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you didn't take it as you I was referring too.

[/ QUOTE ]

not even remotely.

[ QUOTE ]
I was more or less calling for some civility.

[/ QUOTE ]

a call that some people should or need to heed.

Old 10-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

FrankParis is offline IP: 70.144.41.146

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-03-2005, 10:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237
Comments: 0

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Lemme put my Sin City loop (the two minutes of Alicia) on pause long enough to say that the person making these comments is actually very much lacking on a lot of the same stuff she's blating others for.

Now, back to the show.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike