Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Let\'s try something new... a what\'s on the newstand that\'s interesting post
Old 09-30-2005, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.243.58

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

End of the month... Lots of new magazines coming in to the newsstands.

Here's some I looked at (and bought a few!). If you're in smalltown America with no Barnes and Noble or Borders nearby, you may have a problem finding some of these. Remember, these magazines are all described with a fashion/glamour photography perspective.

Also, these appealed to my particular sensibilities which lean towards edgy casual fashion, denim, and a bit of glamour... your tastes may be completely different.

i-d magazine. Issue 258 This British fashion/lifestyle/entertainment magazine celebrates it's 25th year with a trick that's becoming the rage these days - 4 different covers. Anyway, what caught my eye in this issue was the fashion shots of a young model named Caroline Tretini by photographer Richard Bush. She's a doll. Then there's a 25 woman portfolio. This is kind of uneven, my fav is a shot of Karen Elson by Solve Sundsbo, but the collection has it's moments. And finally, there's 10 pages of Kate Moss shot by Tesh. All B&W, and mostly double page spreads. No nudity. But very nice... Buy the Kate Moss cover, it'll be a collectable some day.

This month's Maxim on the newstands has a DVD of swimsuit girls. I don't think they mail these promo deals to the subscribers. I kinda like the extra little magazines of models, swimsuits, etc. they often package with the newstand versions. I haven't looked at the DVD yet. Anyway, you know what Maxim is all about...

Digital Photographer. Issue 37. This British photography magazine comes with a tutorial CD on various PhotoShop stuff. One of these days I may actually look at the CD's... Anyway, this issue has a great cover, sorta bronzy looking rock chick which leads into the main article on shooting music stars. There's also a nice article on shooting bodyscapes. Check out page 49, nice beach nude with baby oil sheen. This along with the PS tutorials in the magazine make it worth looking at... Why is it British photography magazines seem to kick ass and our's kick dust? American Photo seems to have more equipment reviews these days than Pop Photo...

Arena. October issue. Kinda pricey British young male's fashion/lifestyle/stuff magazine. This month's issue is packaged with a 40 page Agent Provocateur lingerie supplement. Those really into lingerie may enjoy it... I prefer the Rachel Steven's shots in the magazine. The Calvin Klein Obsession ad is nice...well, okay, half the obsession ad is VERY nice, the other page you can toss out.

Zink, October. I've been disappointed in Zink the last few issues. Maybe it's just me... This month's issue has a a seemingly huge advertising section on Las Vegas and a long tribute to Cirque du Soleil. Interesting, but not really my thing... lots of surreal looking stuff of the various cirque performers. I don't recall seeing any Antoine Verglas images for a while, maybe that's what's wrong.
You decide if it's worth your bucks...

Harper's Bazaar. October. Charlize Theron on the cover and inside. At $3.50, a hellova buy. Lots of edgy fashion poses to rip out and copy. I love the model in the Black and White Basics stuff, especially the beret shot. Great eyes... Buy it.

Finally, GQ magazine, Italian edition, September. Eva Herzigova, bronzy looking images pushing her lingerie line, I think. Who can read italian? Anyway, Eva has always had some sort of magic attraction for me. I think it dates back to images she did for MAX, another Italian magazine some time ago. Very, very sexy... but refined. The images here are not quite up to those, but they are nice, and Eva looks great. This issue also has a lot of old crime scene photos... bloody as all get out, but strangely interesting. Finally, the issue has a selection of the nude photos that appear in the 4 Inches hardback that's out now. I believe this book has some charity connection but I forget. The most interesting is a shot of Carmen Electra which has been PS'ed to convert her into a puppet on strings. Even a nude Paris Hilton in a truck... But my favorite stuff in this issue are some shots of Ana Hickman. Very sexy... Not for everybody, but what is???

So that's what I've been looking at on the newstands. Take it for what it's worth.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Let\'s try something new... a what\'s on the newstand that\'s interesting
Old 10-01-2005, 10:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.116.146.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it British photography magazines seem to kick ass and our's kick dust? American Photo seems to have more equipment reviews these days than Pop Photo...

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote John Fish in another thread: "plink.. plink... plink... plink..."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to n5wd Visit n5wd's homepage! Find More Posts by n5wd

HOT FLASH!!! News type that is...
Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.109.242

Hey, I got around to playing the DVD that comes with this month's newstand issue of MAXIM (US version).

VERY cool!!! Sort of a behind the scenes with the Maxim swimsuit models on location during the swimsuit shoot. If you've seen the Sports Illustrated swimsuit videos, it's along those lines. Well put together, and the models are...er, well put tgether also, VERY WELL put together. Willy Camden, Antoine Verglas and a couple of other shooters.

You equipment freaks can drool over the portable lighting setups...

This won't last long on the newstands once word gets around. The magazine is still the regular $5 and the DVD is a bonus...

Highly recommended, 4 stars, thumbs up, and all those other silly ratings...

Disclaimer: I have absolutely no connection to, nor do I receive any compensation from any of the magazines I talk about (damn...).
<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: HOT FLASH!!! News type that is...
Old 10-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 4.159.113.238

Al,

I know this wasn't supposed to be a critique thread, but my god, that last post of Coral.

Dude, I choked and spit coffe on the monitor. Nice job. Another shot for the book of inspiration.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan