Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
more cars
Old 09-29-2005, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377
Comments: 0

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Guys,

Lovin my new bees. My neighboor who happens to be a car salesman for a local dealership came by when I was shooting the Z i posted (think i mentioned this)..well. He told his boss and I shot a high end subaru for their ebay add. He (boss) was so impressed with the shots that he asked me to shoot his personal car for him..which happened to be a 100K plus porsche. Need less to say it was EXTREMELY challenging. It was black and shinny as &**(). I thought..black car at night shot in driveway?..not haaappeeennin...lol. So, i took her inside agains some red seamless (yes..I photoshopped the seemless where it didnt reach). The backend shot was my first attempt at dragging the shutter. I had the owner turn on the day light balanced headlights to blast against the red paper..ambient lights from tail and a touch of flash from my bee to light up the "turbo" emblum (sp?) on the back. Here are the results. Comments and critiques welcome.

Mainly shot at 125th at f8-f11 at 400.

Thanks,
Michael

ps..this has all turned into a 20 car a month deal with a renewable one year contract to shoot for them for ebay. Im very excited and fortunate. The second shot isnt clean enough to be usable for me..but i just thought it turned out kinda neat.

View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Re: more cars
Old 09-29-2005, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Cool shots! and Congrats on the contract...now one element missing....Girl+Car!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

thanks man!!..yea..that is the one thing missing..we actually tried to get a model (at the boss request....lol) to shoot with it. Didnt happen. It was like...can you shoot my car..im like sure...hes like ..can u do it tonight..im was like sure. Oh well. I cant wait to add a model into the already complicted mix...lol. Thanks again man.

Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Old 09-29-2005, 06:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 24.158.13.225

That's a great shot Michael. And congratulations on the photo deal.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

A tip
Old 09-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41498
Send a message via ICQ to HMetal Send a message via Skype™ to HMetal

HMetal is offline IP: 24.36.104.4

Excellent!

A tip for you, when shooting cars like this.. Use a circular polarizer on your lens. You'll get that nice cutting reflection from the lights but you won't get the reflections from stationary objects.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to HMetal Visit HMetal's homepage! Find More Posts by HMetal

Old 09-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39949
Send a message via AIM to LunarMuun

LunarMuun is offline IP: 24.151.223.148

Hey Michael, nice goin' with the contract! Woot!

I'll just bust your chops on one issue...umm, ya see the light stand legs in pic #1, between driver front and rear wheels?!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Later,
Adam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LunarMuun Visit LunarMuun's homepage! Find More Posts by LunarMuun

Old 09-30-2005, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Maybe you found your niche!

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 09-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35455

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 71.136.236.25

[ QUOTE ]
Here are the results. Comments and critiques welcome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael, I am going to be the guy who critiques... I try to avoid this form of involvement simply because one man's ceiling is usually someone else's floor, but in this case you might benefit from some direction. First off, congrats on the work contract, that is a great accomplishment in itself - I hope it is financially as exciting as well.

As you already stated, black cars are a nightmare, in fact you will notice that about 70% of all ads - both print and tv - are silver cars; they are much easier to photograph. Black is one giant mirror and in some ways worse because they are black, at least a mirror is clear and rarely shows dirt: Black cars show everything. In the first shot all I can see are the reflections of the garage: The ceiling, the floor, the odd shaped item that is along side the passenger door - that is a very distracting reflection. The reflections need to show the lines of the car, the shape and the speed, the sensual curves and magnificent design. You want solid reflections and horizon lines to enhance the car's personality, you will always see great horizon lines in the reflection of a good car shot... always. This has tremendous value in boosting the subliminal connection with the car - seeing the horizon is a depiction of freedom and a boundless relationship with the car's power and speed - unleashed freedom. Also I as the viewer don't want to be staring up into the intake of the car seeing it's inthralls... this is no more desirable than seeing up a model's nose and seeing what lurks in her sinuses - sort of a beauty killer. This is a good perspective, the angle and composition of your shot, the light was too direct into the opening.

I like to go to a place that has the perfect surroundings for shooting reflections in the car's paint; i.e., great clouds and sky, maybe tree-line, cool buildings, etc. A huge parking lot is good (I usually shoot on a Sunday morning, lots & streets are empty) so you have a lot of tarmac to reflect off of the lower half of the car... and if you can get away with it, wet down that tarmac so you richen the pavement (something I could not do - but wanted - in the shot below).

I won't comment on the second shot, I think you can assess that for yourself, but I needed to point out what you should look for in car shots in magazines, etc. You can find a great location and use it for all your shooting, one that gives you everything, shooting in a studio or a garage can be a very big production. I shoot cars enough to know there is more than just a nice automobile in a photograph - in a phrase, cars are tough to shoot... but very exciting.

Good luck.

Robert

View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders