Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Two canes and a blow hard...
Old 09-29-2005, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35455
Comments: 0

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 71.136.46.159

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

just when everyone got tired of the wind, a few people decided to hang in san diego and put up with this bag of breeze - what a great workshop though and a lot of fun... hard work, but fun. It is amazing what happens when people really want to learn.

We had a small group but very intense (duh, that's in the name!) and set to the task of working four of the greatest models from bay to bay. And they were great, Jacki, Kori, Dani, and Sherry were amazing, as were Chelsey my stylist (Valerie Fowler couldn't make it) and Carol Savage who assisted. Wow, I can't say thanks enough, great job by everyone.

I am really tired...

Marc Grant was great to have along simply because of his subtle approach and gentle touch to find the magic in an image. I am amazed how effortless he makes his craft look but when done the work is strong and powerfully impressive. It was fun to share different vantage points on the same challenges and how an approach would differ... good stuff.

And a very special thanks to Ray Savage for all his help, before, during, and after the workshop, the man is like a kid. He really sucks at painting though, can't trust him with a bucket of paint and roller on a stick; God only knows where all the paint will end up. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] You helped make this inaugural event run very smoothly and I really appreciate that Ray. See you in January!

I am sure you will see a few images over the next few days, a testimony of the diverse direction we all trekked away upon. From what I saw, there were some very different and interesting images created as everyone stepped just a bit out of the box... especially in the lighting approach. I just hope it was as good for everyone else as it was for me.

Thank you all once again.

Robert

Here is Jacki under the fresnel (hollow 1K) lamphead. Makeup/hair by Chelsey Pickthorn.

View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders

Re: Two canes and a blow hard...
Old 09-29-2005, 03:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.82.31

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A beautiful model and an instructor, well not exactly beautiful (as in looks) but not ugly either and I'm not sure handsome is in the works either (grin)...bottom line, with a beautiful model how can you go wrong with a great instructor like Robert.

I hope to see you in NYC bud at the Hensel booth and more...talk soon, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 09-29-2005, 06:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Fantastic image as always Robert.

I have a question for you about fresnels. I understand that they focus the light so you get a tight circle, but how different is the quality of light from a fresnel from the light from a snooted reflector? I have just never had the opportunity to shoot with a fresnel.

Thanks,
Daryl
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

[ QUOTE ]
He really sucks at painting though, can't trust him with a bucket of paint and roller on a stick; God only knows where all the paint will end up.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you sign up for a Robert Sanders workshop....it's REALLY hands-on [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks to Robert, Marc, the Girls, and all the other photographers for making it a GREAT event (and to my wife for being such a trooper).

Those of you who chose not to attend missed a good one!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

Does this mean...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

RobertRSanders is offline IP: 71.137.17.168

we are dating? Now that is a very scary thought!!! Thanks for the kudos Rolando, and yes we will be seeing each other in NYC! As always, looking forward to hangin'.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobertRSanders Visit RobertRSanders's homepage! Find More Posts by RobertRSanders

Great question...
Old 09-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

it isn't so much that the fresnel just focuses the light, it also changes the quality of the ambience... it is more directional with less abstract light scattering all over the place. A snoot on the other hand is just a tube that points the raw flash tube in a particular direction, the light is much harsher and less disciplined... the fresnel light has always had a very calming feel and relaxed quality.

This shot of Jacki was with a snooted light then flagged to shape the falloff. I would have much more preferred the fresnel here or at least a more focused light. This works but I it was more of a demo for me and was shot with the intention of a two file composite in Photoshop. The clear fresnel light beam would have provided less post production and a bit different shadow quality.

Hope that helps.

Robert

Ray\'mon...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

good stuff dude, thanks for bringing the wife, she made the weekend. Thanks for sharing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You guys are awesome...

Robert

p.s.; just what did you mean, "hands on?" I am not sure that sounds right.

p.s.s.; can't wait to show the rubber! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Let's see some of your images.

Re: Ray\'mon...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see some of your images.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patience my friend.....I have taken your words to heart and worked all day on getting CD's of proofs ready for each Girl...mission accomplished there. Starting on the 'real' stuff tonight. The 'keeper to turd' ratio is pretty decent...must have been all that painting that did it.

[ QUOTE ]
can't wait to show the rubber!

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez....talk about not sounding right...I just wish I had been able to get a shot of you donating your pants to the sci-fi segment [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

Re: Great question...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35723

Dman65 is offline IP: 63.243.17.130

Thanks for the information Robert. I guess I have one thing to add to my acquisition list.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dman65 Find More Posts by Dman65

Re: Ray\'mon...
Old 09-30-2005, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41021

PhotoDave is offline IP: 68.5.109.137

[ QUOTE ]
I just wish I had been able to get a shot of you donating your pants to the sci-fi segment [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Ed's got a shot or two of that. Robert standing in front of that huge Boca monitor in black boxers and black socks.

I thought Ed would have posted by now. Hmm, maybe Ed is holding out for Robert to sign his model release [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by PhotoDave