Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Something new for me
Old 09-24-2005, 07:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 24.1.179.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm really trying to get the hang of this. The last headshot was too tight, so I'm trying something different. I know the arms are chopped. Any other comments?

Model is Vicky, who cuts my hair at a local Knockouts.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Okay, I\'ll start it off...
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.78.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Okay, I'll start it off...

You've already identified the major problem. Unfortunately, it'll take a very severe crop to fix.

And even if you do that crop, another problem still remains. The lady doesn't look too happy. If I met her coming up the street with that expression... I'd get out of her way!

I'd love to see her with a different expression. She's a very lovely lady, and obviously... um... blessed.

With a slightly different expression, I think you'd have a much better image.
But that's just my opinion...

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Okay, I\'ll start it off...
Old 09-25-2005, 11:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'll start it off...

You've already identified the major problem. Unfortunately, it'll take a very severe crop to fix.

And even if you do that crop, another problem still remains. The lady doesn't look too happy. If I met her coming up the street with that expression... I'd get out of her way!

I'd love to see her with a different expression. She's a very lovely lady, and obviously... um... blessed.

With a slightly different expression, I think you'd have a much better image.
But that's just my opinion...

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the comment. I have a few more with different expressions, but I actually like this one. I don't get mean out of it. But to each their own [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As far as being blessed, only her and her surgeon know [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'll work on the crop. It's just my 70-200 is the best lens I own and I love the sharpnesss. None of my other glass can match it. Working in a small space really limits what I can do.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Head shots have two purposes ...
Old 09-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.214.35

OK, a few comments from a guy who shot about at least a gazilion headshots from actors and models to realtors and corporate execs while I was still in business.

Headshots have two pretty much unrelated purposes. The first purpose is obviously to show what the subject looks like. But the second is to cause the viewer to think "This is a person I would like to work with". Unfortunately your shot does not do the second. I don't know if it's anger, fear or apprehension in the facial expression, but it would not make a viewer want to hire with her. That's why so many head shots (or any other PR photo) shows the person smiling. She's a very beautiful lady and you did show that, so try again and go for a more pleasant expression.

Then there is the crop, but you already know amputated arms don;t work. I didn't see the one you described as being too tight so I can;t comment on that, but I would suggest splitting the difference.

As for the pose, instead of leaning back, have her lean forwad a bit with her shoulders at a slight angle to the camera. Often leaning back is seen as 'withdrawal', whether valid or not. Leaning a bit forward is more likely to show energy and interest. Shoulders squared to the camera is almost always static. I would recommend not using that high back chair in a head shot. A chair with a back makes it too easy to lean back or to slouch and the top of the back is sort of distracting. Plain white backgrounds seem to work best.

Lighting? You nailed it! Don't change it, other than possbly adding a slight hair light, but that is't vital at all.

Try it again - she's worth it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Revisited --- Re: Okay, I\'ll start it off...
Old 09-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.72.30

I don't think I read her expression as mean, I got a kind of determined, don't mess with me feeling from it. Doug sees something else. It's just one of those expressions people read things into.

I really like the second shot. But I'd still like to see her smile...

Post some more, she is a beauty!

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

A little closer to a smile...
Old 09-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Now that I look back I didn't reallly get a good smile out of her. I think we shot at the end of a work day for her. Next time I'll bring in a MUA and do a better job.

Here are a couple more: